Intelligent LED headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deane x

Car
C350e S205 2016
Has any one got Intelligent LED headlight system with active light system ,cornering light function ,Adaptive high beam assist and blue LED locator lighting , and if so what do they think of them and how do they get on with them ,it must be hard breaking a habit of not turning off the high beam

Although the not the LED system, I have adaptive xenon main beam and cornering headlamps. I get on well with the cornering system which works particularly well on dark, windy roads. The main beam assist is good, but does take a bit of getting used to. As others have mentioned, it works well but can be a little slow reacting to oncoming vehicles. Great features though.

As reflexboy boy has said, it can be a bit slow to react and on a couple of occasions I have been flashed up by on coming traffic, but on the whole I love the system , the cornering light function is excellent . :thumb:

Although the not the LED system, I have adaptive xenon main beam and cornering headlamps. I get on well with the cornering system which works particularly well on dark, windy roads. The main beam assist is good, but does take a bit of getting used to. As others have mentioned, it works well but can be a little slow reacting to oncoming vehicles. Great features though.
Thanks... I wonder if new LED system main beam assist is any faster to react

We have ILS on our E class and I was very surprised about how well the whole systems operates include the high bean assist.

I have the LED system and I honestly can't fault it. I'd safely say its the best lighting system I've seen, certainly the best i've ever owned.

My auto high beam feature is yet to kick in, I probably do not drive on very dark roads.
The lights do look very nice and the motorway feature is great!

The trouble with High Beam Assist (which truthfully, I absolutely love) is that it can't prepare itself... where I, for example, will see the spread of light of an oncoming car from around a corner and dip my beam before we dazzle eachother, the HBA will wait until it sees the light source from the other car. It may only be a fraction of a second, but I'd prefer a preemptive system.

(nb, probably worth saying that I have this on my company car, not a MB which may in fact be different, but a German car nonetheless)

Adaptive High Beam for Intelligent LED is completely different from Xenon. The former works a by switching off individual LEDs when the cameras detect a car you're following or oncoming cars.

You can follow another car with high beam activated without dazzling them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if7AGfNwUcI

The trouble with High Beam Assist (which truthfully, I absolutely love) is that it can't prepare itself... where I, for example, will see the spread of light of an oncoming car from around a corner and dip my beam before we dazzle eachother, the HBA will wait until it sees the light source from the other car.

The problem with pre-empting other drivers is that they don't always pre-empt your high beam.

Many times I have dipped my beam only to be blinded by the other driver because they have forgotten to dip their beam, or simply cannot be bothered to dip their beam.

Also, I am amazed at how many vehicles have badly aligned headlights which dazzle you even though they are supposed to be dipped.

As for the LED system with HBA, I think it is absolutely brilliant. I drive my CLS which has the system, and my mother's B class, which doesn't, and I know which one is best.

The best thing about the LED system is how it lights the road, especially the white lines, which appear to shine under LED.

Mind you, I am waiting for winter to see how they cope with minus temperatures. With halogen, they produce heat which melts the ice covering headlamps, whereas LEDs run cool, so I might need to scrape the headlamps each morning. Still, a small price to pay for such a superior system.

I've fitted the brightest conventional bulbs money can buy to halogen units and they work quite well, shining a tad further than Xenon on dipped beam, and affording slightly more forward visibility.

Xenons and standard LED because of their extreme brightness light up the road with more brightness, seem to cut off abruptly (presumably to present dazzling other drivers) and when driving fast on twisty dark roads it's difficult to see ahead if not on main beam. (Jaguar XJ Xenon/C Class LED/Infinity LED)

Looking forward to adaptive LED on my new C Class.

BMW (and Audi) are pushing Laser headlamp technology which on main beam shines for miles! (figure of speech) and gets extremely hot that it needs to be water cooled I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WvK5WC4ns0

I just got a GLC with the LED ILS, and this is without doubt the best lighting system I've seen. Watching the lights do their stuff is mighty entertaining, i.e. seeing the dark square immediately behind the car in front, whilst the verge etc is fully lit up.

I think they are a great safety enhancement.

The other day I was driving in moderate fog. The funny thing is that we know we have ILS but take it for granted, then when the fog sets in, you can see the system in operation because you see the beam move from left to right as you move the steering wheel from left to right. Amazing...

Has any one got Intelligent LED headlight system with active light system ,cornering light function ,Adaptive high beam assist and blue LED locator lighting , and if so what do they think of them and how do they get on with them ,it must be hard breaking a habit of not turning off the high beam

yes, have, is excellent.

the 'opening a pair of curtains' effect, and shadowing out traffic in front is very good

x (to reciprocate the affectionate kiss after your name) :p

The ILS is one of the best features of my new e class. I had heard review of (probably earlier) systems still causing some dazzle, but so far I've not been flashed even once. The road illumination is quite outstanding, and as others have said the system's ability to block out sections of beam to avoid dazzling is quite something to watch. It also seems to respond pretty quickly. Certainly way better than other 'automatic' main beam systems I have driven, which have been slow/erratic in responding, and can leave you feeling suddenly quite blind when it cuts out of main into dips and half the road disappears!

My auto high beam feature is yet to kick in, I probably do not drive on very dark roads.
The lights do look very nice and the motorway feature is great!

Hi,
We have had our ML63 since May and the high beam has never come on yet - in 15,000 km!
Living in Abu Dhabi, all roads are lit at night - so it is never dark enough for the main beam to kick in.
Interestingly, I tried turning off the feature through the menu system - but still have not managed to take over manual control of high beam!
Cheers
Steve

fab1975 said:
I have ILS on my C300h and it is brilliant and definitely worth the extra £££.

Exactly the same for me too, C300h with ILS and other stuff.

The ILS is the best bit of kit on the car, highly recommend this system!!!!

The ILS is one of the best features of my new e class. I had heard review of (probably earlier) systems still causing some dazzle, but so far I've not been flashed even once. The road illumination is quite outstanding, and as others have said the system's ability to block out sections of beam to avoid dazzling is quite something to watch. It also seems to respond pretty quickly. Certainly way better than other 'automatic' main beam systems I have driven, which have been slow/erratic in responding, and can leave you feeling suddenly quite blind when it cuts out of main into dips and half the road disappears!

I have it on my e class coupe and it's pretty amazing to see it working. The main beam can be on when following a vehicle but it puts the vehicle into a black box causing no dazzle. I followed my wife home last night and she said she could see my lights going up and down either side of her car but saw no difference at all in her rear view mirror.

Got ils with cornering and hba on my A45 it is is brilliant(had it on my previous w212 so was use to how it works),my wife's slk has halogens snd the difference on dark windy roads(we live in Dorset) is staggering-wouldn't buy another car with halogens......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom