Intelligent Light System Inoperative - Intermittent Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Angie's R172 SLK 55 has thrown up the "Intelligent Light System Inoperative" message in the cluster a couple of times and when it does, if you push the lighting stalk away to the high beam position, the Highbeam Assist reports as inoperative too. However, the fault condition seems to clear itself perhaps after a couple of minutes driving or at the next re-start, and may not occur again for a number of journeys before rearing its head again.

The obvious course of action is to get the codes read and go from there, but has anyone else experienced a similar issue with the ILS, and if so what was the cause?

Does the system use the front facing camera? If so could the screen be misted causing the error? It happens occasionally on my Lexus, only for a 30sec or so...

Does the system use the front facing camera?
It does.
If so could the screen be misted causing the error?
The conditions under which it has occurred have varied, including warm and dry (it first did it one evening last autumn), so my guess is that it isn't a misting problem.

But thanks for the thought, anyway.

Angie's R172 SLK 55 has thrown up the "Intelligent Light System Inoperative" message in the cluster a couple of times and when it does, if you push the lighting stalk away to the high beam position, the Highbeam Assist reports as inoperative too. However, the fault condition seems to clear itself perhaps after a couple of minutes driving or at the next re-start, and may not occur again for a number of journeys before rearing its head again.

The obvious course of action is to get the codes read and go from there, but has anyone else experienced a similar issue with the ILS, and if so what was the cause?
I can't offer any help on this matter....but may be able to assist with the BM jacket situation;-) Be grateful for a PM

Be grateful for a PM
The PM facility isn’t available until a user has 30 posts, unfortunately, but I’ll contact an admin to see if they can put us in touch. Watch this space!

I had similar issues with my R231 SL over a few months ..

eventually diagnosed as new OS headlight .. luckily MB paid 80% of the bill as it was out of warranty.

Hmm... I fear it may be something similar.

Thinking back, the dealer change the nearside cornering bulb last year and managed to break something in the process that they also replaced (FOC), but it took them several attempts to code it all correctly. The issue with the intermittent ILS has arisen since that incident, so I'll have to ask when it goes in for service next week.

Update:

Car in for service yesterday, codes read and… nada, zilch, zip.

So I’ll wait and see if it becomes a hard fault. If it does I’ll deal with it, but I’m not going to pay anyone to chase an intermittent issue at this stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom