Intelligent lighting issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stickman

Car
W204 C250 cgi sport
Hi All,
Just got a 2010 plate w204 c class 250 cgi and need advice on the intel lighting. I contacted MB with vehicle details and they confirmed the car does have the system fitted.

After reading other members issues I set the light switch to A(auto), and pushed the indicator stalk fully forward. The blue main beam light and green side light are indicated in the cluster, went for drive and was flashed by a few on coming cars at which point I pulled stalk towards me to dip main beam.
In the instrument cluster the letter A does not show like it does in other members cars, also I am led to believe that the "main beam" functionality does not come into effect until car reaches 90kph/55mph,thogh I may be wrong about this, just reading it from MB advert.

All advice appreciated
Thanks

You are referring to main beam assist. If the blue light is on in the cluster then the main beam Is on and blinding people!! You need to enable the main beam assist in the settings in the cluster first. If the setting is not there then you don't have main beam assist. If you do and it's enabled then when you push the stalk forward a yellow A should appear next to a yellow headlamp symbol. The blue light will come on when the system switches the main beam on.. if you do have it and it's not functioning properly then a message will appear saying it is inoperative. I believe it works over 30mph

Last edited:
I also am not convinced that you have ILS on your car. Pushing the stalk forwards should not bring the blue main beam light on the dash.

The only time the blue light should be on is when the ILS is active.

As you say, when lights are on, stalk pushed forward, an 'A' (auto) should be lit to tell you ILS is ready for action.

Ant.

I didn't think the prefacelifts came with adaptive high beam assist?

As above you flick the stalk towards the engine with the lights set to automatic and the icons appear, obviously you would be able to tell by the change of light thereafter if it is working

Headlamp Assist is a separate option (that can only work with cars with ILS). For sometime Mercedes bundled the two together, then they stopped, they may have started again.

If the headlamp switch is not on AUTO than HLA won't work.

Either your car does not have HLA, or setting isn't on AUTO, or its broken !

I too think 2010 C class did not get HLA, but I am not 100% sure on that. HLA (and some other options) get a camera at the top of the windscreen (don't confuse it with the rain sensor at the top of the windscreen). But you can have that camera (for Speed Limit Assist or Lane Assist) and not have the HLA option. (HLA is always retrofittable if you have the camera)

Cheers

Richard

Hi All,
I too am now thinking that HLA is not fitted to the car as all advice given has been tried with no difference at all.

Richard if as you and others say HLA was an option on 2010 c class, then when I turn the function on in settings, what exact function does it provide if any, bearing in mind that HLA may not be fitted.

Why put the function in the cluster and settings if it doesn't affect anything.
Very confusing for all.

The blue indicator tells you the high beam is actually on.

If you have HLA, and select High Beam with the stalk, you will get a display somewhere in the cluster with a picture of a headlight with an A symbol in it.

The blue indicator will light when the actual high beam is on (so will extinguish when the HLA turns high beam off when it sees something)

If you PM me your VIN, I can look up to see whether it actually has it !

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,
Unfortunately I can't pm you, not enough posts, could I e-mail instead.

Thanks

Hi All,
Just to thank you all for your comments/advice, really appreciated.

Special thanks to Richard/Alfie in finding that my car does not have high beam assist as this indeed was an option and not specified on my car.
I just have the standard ILS bi-xenon light package along with its functions.

Thanks again and keep up all the good work, forum really does help.

Hi All,
Require more advice re ILS on my 2010 C250 cgi.

ILS as per owners book.
Intelligent Light System* bi-xenon headlamps*) * optional

Functions of ILS
1 Active light function--moves h/lamps according to movements of the front wheels
2 Motorway mode--increases range of beam
3 Extended range fog lamps-reduce glare and improve illumination.

My car has no front fog lamps in spoiler, either the round or oval type, as my car is fitted with the LED strips in spoiler MB dealer says FUNCTION 3 above will work when rear fog light is activated, ILS automatically adjusts / adapts accordingly.

FUNCTION 2 should be ok on motorways, I have not tested this so far.

Now to FUNCTION 1.
I take it that as my car has no separate fog lamps in spoiler then that function does not apply.

Found this from web forum

I went to a dealership to have them check out my "missing" cornering light. At first glance at the computer, the technician said the car has conering light cos it has the 619 code, but went I got back to pick up my car, he told me its a mislabel. He said all new C classes with the fog light replaced by LED lighting don't have cornering lighting. The LED lighting is bright enough to provide wide angle illumination. I guess it make sense

This could be for a US spec car, though at first glance does appear to be logical.

When I did VIN code check, Russian site, the only code re headlamps was 621 --ILS with Left Hand Traffic.

Also I take it that, though not shown on VIN check, that if you have ILS you also have bi-xenon lights.

Advice and thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

You can see if your cornering lights are working, or if you have them by turning the steering wheel and seeing if the light beam moves accordingly, it's easy to see. The cornering function has nothing to do with the DRL's on my e class and I think it should be the same for the c. The e ILS has another bulb that illuminates to the side too, this lights up the pavement. You can see that easily when you turn the wheel as it's a standard halogen bulb on my 2012 e.

You do have all three. The fog light mode comes from the main headlight unit, not from the LED DLRs.

A bit odd but the facelift 204 indeed does not have cornering lights as there are no specific cornering bulbs (like on a 212 or 221, pre-facelifts). You can see it from the manual, nothing mentioned about changing these bulbs. The LED DRLs are not suitable for cornering illumination like the fogs on a pre-facelift 204.

Diesel Benz said:
You do have all three. The fog light mode comes from the main headlight unit, not from the LED DLRs. A bit odd but the facelift 204 indeed does not have cornering lights as there are no specific cornering bulbs (like on a 212 or 221, pre-facelifts). You can see it from the manual, nothing mentioned about changing these bulbs. The LED DRLs are not suitable for cornering illumination like the fogs on a pre-facelift 204.
I have the facelift W204 and it DOES have cornering lights as part of the standard Intelligent Lighting System. I think that they're mechanically activated.

I have the facelift W204 and it DOES have cornering lights as part of the standard Intelligent Lighting System. I think that they're mechanically activated.

Are we talking about the same thing? Cornering lights or curve illumination?

Diesel Benz said:
The link was to a W221 but I had a look at the latest W204 manual and I did find a cornering light bulb, at least for the car with xenon lights.
OK. I have bi-xenons and all I know is that they're fantastic - I now hate night driving with anything else.

Have you tried the latest multi-beam LEDs?

Had another look at the 204 lights and if I got it right this time, the 204 had LED DLRs introduced a bit before facelift. For that short period ILS Xenons did not have cornering lights before facelift arrived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom