Interested in a B Class

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Would recommend looking out for a sport edition as these look a little more dynamic(less geriatric) with nicer/bigger wheels, the three fin grille & styling changes. These may or may not come with the sport suspension which was no cost option on the sport- gives a firmer more planted ride, but some say too bumpy.

Would recommend looking out for a sport edition as these look a little more dynamic(less geriatric) with nicer/bigger wheels, the three fin grille & styling changes. These may or may not come with the sport suspension which was no cost option on the sport- gives a firmer more planted ride, but some say too bumpy.

Personally I would avoid the sport edition at all costs (every single one I looked at had the so called 'sports' suspension -just drive one. Laugh and tear up.

Horrible ride and the seats make entry and egress unnecessarily awkward. No improvement in performance -just more money for teenage Nova style mods IMO. But we are all different. Try it.

Aesthetically, it is similar to comparing an Avantgarde to a classic on a C or an E class.
Much has been said about the sports suspension on the B and there will be a fair proportion of Sports without the sport suspension. This may not be apparent & the dealer may need to check the option codes.

Thanks again..

Update is that I have 2 dealerships quoting me for a new vehicle now
as the APR rate of 5.9% on a new vehicle is making it close to being
very competitive against the quote on older vehicles.

I have two PCP offers on the table, would I be right or wrong in thinking that the amount I put down as a deposit would have an effect on the GFV figure I am quoted?

In the official MB blurb their typical finance offer shows a GFV in excess of £10k for a B180 whereas I am being quoted just short of £8k but as I say my deposit is smaller than that shown in their blurb...

Can anybody advise if they have ever bought extended warranty on a used car (just in case that's where I end up!) - The dealerships say they dont offer it directly but that it can be bought, I have heard it might cost approx £700 for 1 year? - can anybody offer any real-life advice on this? If I go used, the car will be 3 years old in March and they dont seem keen on servicing it as it is showing 6k left to the next service - do I have any chance in changing their minds? - I havent managed to get this sorted yet..

Appreciate the help though folks!

Thanks again..

I have two PCP offers on the table, would I be right or wrong in thinking that the amount I put down as a deposit would have an effect on the GFV figure I am quoted?

In the official MB blurb their typical finance offer shows a GFV in excess of £10k for a B180 whereas I am being quoted just short of £8k but as I say my deposit is smaller than that shown in their blurb...

Can anybody advise if they have ever bought extended warranty on a used car (just in case that's where I end up!) - The dealerships say they dont offer it directly but that it can be bought, I have heard it might cost approx £700 for 1 year? - can anybody offer any real-life advice on this? If I go used, the car will be 3 years old in March and they dont seem keen on servicing it as it is showing 6k left to the next service - do I have any chance in changing their minds? - I havent managed to get this sorted yet..

Appreciate the help though folks!

Ive got prices for the MB extended warranty at home , if ill remember ill look them out and post it for the B class.

Thanks again..

!
I would stick as closely as possible to their example deposit and get the best GFV you can. Yes, if you lower the deposit the finance risk is higher and so either the APR goes up or the GFV goes down. Can you find their desired deposit as you have been offered a very low APR? I would make it clear you want the offer level of GFV and the offer level of APR. But then you must meet their deposit.

Regarding Mercedes warranties, I've extended mine three times, and they're superb. The Tier 1 warranty is pretty much the same as the manufacturer's warranty, but covers stuff like MOT failiure in addition. Worth getting a quote for.

Thanks for this..

Did you buy that Tier 1 from Mercedes directly? - sorry if it is a daft question..

Tier 1 is the warranty that M-B provide on their 'approved used' cars. As mentioned, it covers just about everything ... it's basically like the new car warranty. When I had it on my SL it even covered punctures!

Cars with over 60k miles get a Tier 2 warranty which is still pretty good, but excludes some wear & tear items.

Last edited:
Thanks for this..

Did you buy that Tier 1 from Mercedes directly? - sorry if it is a daft question..

I believe (I havn't got my booklet to hand) the warranty is effectively an "insurance" product, supplied by a seperate division of MB.
Generally, when buying a used vehicle from MB they give 1 year of this insurance based product (as mentioned above, tier 1 or tier 2 depending on the mileage of the vehicle). Towards the end of that year they will write to you to offer to sell you a further year.

I did indeed extend the warranty through the local dealership.

Cost was the same regardless of Tier 1 or Tier 2, and last time it was £850 per annum for my C-Class.

Just a quick update which might be useful to those buying a used car from a MB dealer at the moment..

I have been offered finance rates below 5% flat twice in recent days, with the best rate being 4.25% flat with that equalling to an APR of 8.9% although I am yet to see it writing.. That is pretty much the same as a bank loan and just goes to show that the offers are there if you dont rush in and become a bit of a pain in the backside!!

The consequence for me is that I end up getting into an 12 month old car for almost the same monthly payments I was offered last week for a 3 year old car with 25,000 miles more on the clock, so I'm pleased!

Thanks for all of the comments and help, it's a great site....

Just a quick update which might be useful to those buying a used car from a MB dealer at the moment..

I have been offered finance rates below 5% flat twice in recent days, with the best rate being 4.25% flat with that equalling to an APR of 8.9% although I am yet to see it writing.. That is pretty much the same as a bank loan and just goes to show that the offers are there if you dont rush in and become a bit of a pain in the backside!!

The consequence for me is that I end up getting into an 12 month old car for almost the same monthly payments I was offered last week for a 3 year old car with 25,000 miles more on the clock, so I'm pleased!

Well done indeed. Underlines just how important it is to get the right finance deal and not just the right car.

So many are so chuffed to have done the deal on the car, they just fall in line with whatever finance is offered. Sure pays to haggle at the moment on both the price of the car and the APR.

Obviously done the deal then :D ?
More info & photos?

Beauty in the eye of the beholder?

It all depends on what you want the car to do, and as always, no one will ever agree on which is the best car. I read some of the previous comments and wonder if I have the same car. However as the owner of an SLK as well as the B, (B180 auto) It suits me down to the ground. I was given one as a hire car whilst in Spain and was so impressed, we were hardly home before I bought one. Very economical for such a big vehicle. Sport suspension is fine, (the seats cured my bad back!) and CVT is so relaxed and efficient. (get the leather trim though) I am able to drive big cars MBs BMWs and Volvos in anger at work, and yes the B is not a sports car, but it is more than adequate for the real world. You should try the suspension of a V70 for harshness. Not a real Mercedes? It has the build quality, the clever engineering and the pleasure of ownership, and for a general purpose everyday car, who cares which end is driven. Now if the speed limits didn't exist, I might be a bit more interested in horsepower. If you are thinking of buying one, have a good long test drive. If its not for you just hand it back.

I've just purchased a 12 month on B200T as a staff discounted demonstrator from Mercedes here in Australia and I absolutely love it. Quite a speedy thing if you engage the kickdown switch. ;-)

Only complaint is that the suspension on 16" tyres is a lot less comfortable than I would have expected.

Hello, which one did you get at the end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom