Interested in a C63 but worried about theft!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGC63Fan

Car
2019 C63 Coupe
Hi all,

I’m new to this great forum and, as mentioned in the name of thread, interested in buying a 2019 C63 Coupe.

Aside from the obvious impracticalities and costs, browsing through the various threads has made me quite concerned that the vehicle may be stolen (through vulnerabilities of the keyless go system or otherwise) so was just wondering what other AMG owners experiences have been like, and any specific measures taken to prevent this other than locking in a garage and double pressing the lock button on the fob (which I gather isn’t a bullet proof method to stop the system being manipulated)

Thoughts appreciated!

I've owned an AMG of one model or another since 2013 and theft is not a concern to me. It's always possible, but that is what insurance is for.

Take all the precautions you can, (double lock, faraday pouch for keys), get an Autowatch Ghost immobilizer fitted and enjoy the car.

Location and storage is almost as important as the vehicle, model and age.

You can be pretty confident that a new C63 coupe will be stolen - the C class is second only to the BMW X5 as the most stolen vehicle in Britain, with the C63 leading the way.

To be certain that it will go, either during the day, or overnight, you'll need to be parking it in public, on the urban streets of the major cities. Park it in a locked garage, behind a secure pillar in your driveway, and it's less of an issue.

Insurance is a comfort, but the downside is that your premium will skyrocket after a claim, and it's a tad stressful if the thieves kick in your front door, or threaten your family in order to get the keys.

Masked gang smash way into family's home to steal high-value Mercedes AMG

But, hey, what else are you going to spend your money on?

Last edited:
It totally depends where in the UK you live. The type of car theft you are talking about is unheard of up where I live. If your car gets stolen it’s because you left your front door open overnight and they sneaked in for the keys. Violence has never been used nor has breaking and entering if everything is locked up. I’m more than happy leaving the C63 on the drive.

I notice you have an Audi A3 listed as your current car.
That too is probably a sought after car for thieves as are most Audis and BMW's as well as AMG's.

You can't help where you live and the theft risk in your area, but I wouldn't let that stop me buying and enjoying the car of my choice.

Location and storage is almost as important as the vehicle, model and age.

You can be pretty confident that a new C63 coupe will be stolen - the C class is second only to the BMW X5 as the most stolen vehicle in Britain, with the C63 leading the way.

To be certain that it will go, either during the day, or overnight, you'll need to be parking it in public, on the urban streets of the major cities. Park it in a locked garage, behind a secure pillar in your driveway, and it's less of an issue.

Insurance is a comfort, but the downside is that your premium will skyrocket after a claim, and it's a tad stressful if the thieves kick in your front door, or threaten your family in order to get the keys.

Masked gang smash way into family's home to steal high-value Mercedes AMG

But, hey, what else are you going to spend your money on?

Wow, that's sobering... Agreed that it depends on specific location; I live in a suburb in North London where it is commonplace for thieves to try their luck with unlocked cars / keyless hacking systems, but theft by force is unheard of..

I've owned an AMG of one model or another since 2013 and theft is not a concern to me. It's always possible, but that is what insurance is for.

Take all the precautions you can, (double lock, faraday pouch for keys), get an Autowatch Ghost immobilizer fitted and enjoy the car.

Thanks - I have been looking into immobilizer products but am sort of wary in case they go wrong, void the warranty or present problems if the car is picked up by MB for a service etc. Considering a steering wheel lock like this one to act as a deterrent, assuming it doesn't mess up the wheel!

This seems quite effective
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

C63 owners can comment on their own use, but something like a Tracker is the standard advice.

Any immobiliser is as useful as a chocolate teapot in an industry where cars are stolen to order and go through Eurotunnel on the back of a car transporter within hours (sic) of being taken. A tracker is a step towards working out where it went...

This seems quite effective
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That was in the mid 90s. I think the same guys also developed a hydraulic powered arm that swung out from under the sill and smashed the hi-jackers shins to smithereens.

mercedes ensure their cars can be stolen as quickly as possible and this will help bump up their sales from replacement cars. I'm sure most other manufacturers operate the same way.
it has the added benefit that you may not want to keep the car long term and insurance money in hand is worth more than a car you dont want. I am hoping someone steals my c63 but no luck so far :(

Theft or attempted theft was one of the reasons I didn`t opt for a proper M car when I was considering my present vehicle and it will be a consideration in a few years when I choose the next one.

At work the car is in a secure car park with swipe card entry so it is only when the car is parked at home it would be a concern, I didn`t fancy someone breaking in during the night for the keys or arriving mob handed and just taking it , especially when there are two kids in the house.

They (AMG / RS / M cars) would be great to experience but being constantly worried about it being taken either by stealth or force may ruin the ownership experience ,well it would for me anyway. The rewards , with these cars, for the crims out ways the risk so they will make an extra effort to get what they want.

There are spotters the crims use to locate the next target , if that means following a vehicle from where they spot it to where it is parked then they will do that and living somewhere that seems "safe" is no guarantee that it always will be , maybe there has been no "orders" for anything that is parked locally.

Hope the above hasn`t put you off owning the car you want , but you did ask.

K

Any immobiliser is as useful as a chocolate teapot in an industry where cars are stolen to order and go through Eurotunnel on the back of a car transporter within hours (sic) of being taken. A tracker is a step towards working out where it went...

I have to disagree on an immobilizer being "as useful as a chocolate teapot" Mike.
With Ghost fitted, the car simply will not start without a code being put in. Or, if chosen it will start and immediately stall when a gear is selected without that code.
There are no clues it is fitted as it is added to an existing loom and covered with the same loom tape Mercedes use. Also no fancy flashing lights like a Clifford alarm of days gone by.
Unless there is a transporter nearby, an AMG is damn heavy car to push away, so immobilizers do have their uses along with steering wheel locks and a tracker.
Not all cars stolen end up on a boat to Africa;)

I have to disagree on an immobilizer being "as useful as a chocolate teapot" Mike.
With Ghost fitted, the car simply will not start without a code being put in. Or, if chosen it will start and immediately stall when a gear is selected without that code.
There are no clues it is fitted as it is added to an existing loom and covered with the same loom tape Mercedes use. Also no fancy flashing lights like a Clifford alarm of days gone by.
Unless there is a transporter nearby, an AMG is damn heavy car to push away, so immobilizers do have their uses along with steering wheel locks and a tracker.

All the feedback so far has been really useful, so thanks for that!

@AMGeed, I find myself agreeing with your positive (/optimistic!) mindset (albeit Dorset seems much less of a crime hotspot than London); I don't think I should let fear of a hypothetical situation hijack the decision to purchase a car that has been my dream purchase for around 6 years. Of course I will invest suitably in steering wheel locks and the like (still not sure about the Ghost immobiliser given the warranty / MB pickup issues previously mentioned, so will mention to the dealership).

P.S. be sure to check the news for car-theft related crimes in North London so that, if I do get murdered in my bed, you know not to make the same mistake...!

Never heard of theft pool pool cars?
Any car you own is open to theft, depending on the thieves' objectives. Get a Ghost and Tracker fitted and your car is as safe from theft as you are from a fatal illness. No guarantees in life but it isn't difficult to reduce risk to the lowest level possible possible.

No matter what car anyone owns and no matter what security you install if the thieves want it they will take it.
The harder you make it for them to steal the harder they could make it for you if they want it.
Buy the car, drive it, enjoy it and try not to worry about it.
Even if the car does get nicked as long as you are in one piece to fill the claim in that is all that counts.

As I said, "Any immobiliser is as useful as a chocolate teapot in an industry where cars are stolen to order and go through Eurotunnel on the back of a car transporter within hours (sic) of being taken."

We're being asked this question by someone living in London, where we lose 400 luxury cars a week (20,000 premium cars a year) .
Thefts of premium cars have doubled in 5 years - here’s how to protect yourself

Fully accept that it's not an issue in Bournemouth, or in areas where owners garage their cars overnight.

"Ghost" may be a better immobiliser than average - but I was talking about most people's reliance on "normal" or cheaper immobilisers than the £400 Ghost. (And not everyone wants to an install an immobiliser with separate keypad entry)

That said, I have neighbours in South West London who've installed retractable pillars into driveways to stop organised criminals breaking through gates and taking cars from driveways.
Automatic Rising Bollards

And luxury cars aren't loaded onto a boat to Bongo Bongo land. They're driven, on transporters, into Europe for dismantling, or to have their identities refreshed before appearing in Left hand drive countries. All well-documented by the insurance companies.

Last edited:
It is not only the car being taken at night from your property that is a factor but it being taken by force at a set of lights , in the supermarket car park , at the shopping centre where it hasn`t got a bollard / Ghost / wheel lock to protect it.

What are you , or partner, realistically going to do when approached by four burly chaps , that want your motor, in Morrisons car park (other shops are available)

It is ok having insurance but it is the other non-physical side of things that would concern me more. I can say with 100% certainty that if we were burgled for any of our vehicles then the wife would want to move house straight away.

This is from a post by a member who had his E63 taken by force a few years ago:

"Entry gained via the outer front door by smashing the glass with a brick (it's 3/4 glazed) , clearing it with an implement and stepping through, then entry attempted to the inner front door with a crowbar or the like.

Myself and the good lady were in the hallway as she'd heard the glass break too.

In one of those surreal slow motion moments I was shouldering the inner door trying to keep it shut while they crowed it open, as they shouted "keys, give us the f'in keys - give us the f'in keys.

The keys are on a unit close by, so I shouted to good lady to give them to me (I'm still up against the door) and then yanked open the door to be greeted by Mr Hoodie and his masked men.
I threw the key past him and through the smashed glass door and shouldered the inner door shut again.

Next time I opened the door (a few seconds later) a silver car at the bottom of my drive was heading off with my E63 behind it (sounded good too).

The wife's Focus had had it's side window smashed, handbrake released and it had rolled down our sloping drive, across the road and was wedged on some low level railings the council had put there to stop travellers getting onto the land opposite, but blocking the carriageway. That gave them the ability to get my car off the drive.

I can't tell you if there were more than three, but the point is, as borne out by my neighbour who had four people round the back of his house, that these guys are using numbers and tools to get what they want - what the f*ck are you supposed to do?"

K

A single decent, visual physical deterrent and a good immobiliser with stop most attempts.
If they are more serious than that, give them they keys, they know where you live.....

With luck you'll have had the car for a couple of years, driven it, enjoyed it and then its drinking habit will have you wanting to move onto something more sensible or restrained anyway and you'll be saved the pain of PXing in it......

Enjoy those couple of years

Although not as harshly, I actually agree with Mike here; a lot of cars won’t even attempt to be started, they just tow them away using another stolen vehicle and a tow rope.

There are so many ways to steal a car that if they do want it, they’ll have done their homework on a particular car they want and they’ll go get it, the only real chance you have is by living somewhere that’s statistically a lower crime area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom