Interesting films to see?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
SWMBO talked me in to going to see The Father. Superb acting in a very depressing film. I found the direction very self indulgent and the film seemed to made for the actors and director rather than for an audience

/./?l//;'#l/

I'm still amazed by Parasite. You never see it coming, also as im in the construction trade the architecture for me is absolutely sublime lol.
I agree, liked it too.

Reactions: AMV
SWMBO talked me in to going to see The Father. Superb acting in a very depressing film. I found the direction very self indulgent and the film seemed to made for the actors and director rather than for an audience

/./?l//;'#l/

Agree very much. A bit of a wasted cinema visit.

I have to say I am thoroughly enjoying the re-opening of cinemas. Especially two for one deals at our local Vue. With “compare the meerkat” discount, the two of us visit for a total of less than £6.

Favourite film recently was Nobody. For sheer action-packed entertainment. Very violent but tinged with dark humour. An unlikely family man reveals his hidden talents when wreaking revenge on the Russian mob. Pretty standard stuff but hugely entertaining.

Watched The Departed last night.. Brilliant film!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A classic. Starts at 11:00, available other times, on catch up etc.

The Million Pound Note (1953)​

Votes: 51

Director​

Starring​

When & Where?​

1. 11:00-12:45 Wed 23rd Jun 2021 120m
    Film4
  2. Add to Calendar, Outlook, Google
  3. 12:50-14:45 Mon 28th Jun 2021 120m
    Film4
The Million Pound Note (1953) box art
1954. Comedy. Director: Ronald Neame. Stars Gregory Peck, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Ronald Squire & Joyce Grenfell. Two wealthy brothers loan a penniless man 1 million pounds, in the form of one note.

Saw this yesterday, quirky to say the least. Bill Murray always entertains and Tilda Swinton wielding a samurai sword :thumb:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Went to see ’Spiral From The Book of Saw‘ last night. Predictable story held together with OTT graphic gore & violence. Samuel L Jackson appears in a hammy role. He seems to have sold his acting soul in recent years. Not like his awsome appearances in Tarantino’s movies.

Utter garbage. Why I persevered to the end is a mystery.

SL Jackson has become like, Nicholas Cage or Mark Wahlberg, massively over exposed. He's in far, far too many movies & not a good one for ages. Pulp Fiction is the last good one I can recall & he's been playing pretty much the same angry Black man character ever since.

All about Eve​

• Joseph L Mankiewicz
  • 132 mins

Review - 5 out of 5.​

By Tony Sloman
"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!", and with the acerbic talents of multi-Oscar-winning writer/director Joseph L Mankiewicz and his magnificent cast - the superb Bette Davis (replacing, thankfully, an ailing Claudette Colbert), the acid-tongued George Sanders, Celeste Holm, Thelma Ritter, Marilyn Monroe - it certainly is. On its original release, this tale about rivalries in the theatre was criticised in some quarters for being over-wordy and relentlessly arch, though today's audiences tend to revel in its wit and cynicism. The dialogue is especially clever and the performances are first-rate. If the framing flashback structure seems a little contrived, or if Anne Baxter's Eve doesn't quite have the killer instinct required for the role, these are minor blemishes in a classic movie, whose qualities remind us that there once was a Hollywood where such sophisticated treats could be made.

Next showing​

channeltimestatus
Talking Pictures TV
Talking Pictures, 81 on Freeview.
Sat 26 Jun 8:35pm - 11:20pm

Tonight 9pmTalking Pictures TV

A timely showing of this charming British comedy classic from the early 1950's centred on the London-Brighton run, being held 07.11 this year. Interesting too to see London & the A23 route down to Brighton in 1953 when the oldest of the veteran cars taking part was only 49 years old. That same car would be 117 today.

Genevieve​

• Comedy
  • Henry Cornelius
  • 82 mins
  • U

Summary​

Comedy starring Kenneth More, John Gregson, Dinah Sheridan, and Kay Kendall. Two couples taking part in the London to Brighton veteran car rally suffer various misadventures, not least when personal rivalries make the return journey even more competitive.

A couple of quality horror flicks on BBC2 back to back tonight.

What We Do in the Shadows​

3edc38cb61140b2192a0ad14a5e5436508d9e50b749e47ee31172c51ca2d738a.png

BBC Two
Sun 31 Oct 10:45pm - 12:05am

This delightfully deadpan spoof about a ragtag bunch of Kiwi vampires breathes new life into the mockumentary format. It's co-directed by Taika Waititi and Flight of the Conchords star Jemaine Clement, who also appear as the dandyish Viago and the rampant Vladislav, respectively. A documentary film crew follows the pair, along with their undead housemates, as they argue about the washing-up, hit the clubs, and suck the life from virgins (but try to remember to put a towel down first). However, the addition of some new blood to the group, along with his human best pal, sends their nocturnal world into disarray. Everything is delivered with straight-faced charm, and the guts and gore are balanced with sympathetic and believable characters (well, as sympathetic and believable as centuries-old bloodsuckers can be). There are some hilarious riffs on undead stereotypes and mythology - how do you check your outfit if you can't look in the mirror? - while the script cunningly plays with your expectations (as well as referencing The Lost Boys). And Rhys Darby, as the unfailingly polite leader of a rival group of werewolves, is a fantastic treat. This is bloody hilarious.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let the Right One In​

71afa58e325514b1d1fa3e34078bafb751ce58e55d3d58d286a07d94342af6b3.png

channeltimestatus
BBC Two
BBC Two
Mon 1 Nov 12:05am - 1:55am

Set in the snowy urban wastes of Stockholm in the early 1980s, this Swedish vampire movie proves unexpectedly moving. It's a curious love story between bullied 12-year-old Oskar (Kare Hedebrant) and Eli (Lina Leandersson), a doe-eyed little girl who hides a dark secret. Based on John Ajvide Lindqvist's bestselling novel, Let the Right One In develops into a muted meditation on violence and vengeance as bloodsucker Eli convinces Oskar to strike back at his tormentors. Director Tomas Alfredson coaxes fragile performances from his two young leads (Leandersson, frequently framed like the subject of a Renaissance portrait, is astonishing). It's undeniably frightening - much grisly bloodletting ensues as Eli's middle-aged helper Hakan (Per Ragnar) drains local youths of their haemoglobin - yet Alfredson's light touch adds soulful delicacy and a certain ambiguity to the proceedings, making this a horror movie more likely to prompt tears than screams.
Read less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom