Interesting idea for an R129, wrong engine used?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One for an eccentric, I think; there might be a buyer or two out there, but probably not many.

Wow, to go to all that trouble and yet fit only a 2.5D NA engine?

We had a member on here (Druk - RIP) who converted his R107 to a 300 Turbodiesel I believe, but an R129 with a 2.5 NA would be glacially slow, and I can’t see the point (regards using it everyday) as it’s hardly done any miles since the conversion? :dk:

Yes a bizarre conversion. As an aside the alloys aren't 'genuine split rims' - they're replicas.

Sounds like the perfect donor for an LS3 conversion, seeing as it's already been ruined.

Given the registration date it's not even a 320. I suspect it was a 300 24v, given the 7k rpm redline.

It was sold previously on eBay, I think he said it had the later 20v 605 engine which is maybe why the sale wasn't completed, you could just about live with the later engine.

Please don't make me Google it..straight 6 ? V6 , how much power , etc etc. In comparison with what is in there now.

Thanks folks

Original - M104 straight six, 228hp, 200ftlb.
Replacement - OM602, straight 5, 90hp, 122ftlb.

No mention of any gbox/diff ratio changes either :eek:

Last edited:
The R129 is a heavy car, I would say that the 500 gives adequate performance. That thing must really struggle up hills!

I had a W124 250d, I loved that car but from standstill it was SLOW. Busy London roundabouts were frightening. Acceleration once moving was actually ok.

This is a car for people with a cramped colon, people who's on a tight budget but still wants to own a fancy ride like Mercedes. :cool: :)
I think MB should have manufactured a cheaper version than the lowest budget SL280.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom