Interesting R129

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stats007

MB Enthusiast
Car
575M
Can't see this selling any time soon. Not sure why some dealers think expenditure is commensurate to selling price? :rolleyes:

Location: Stratton Motor Company Ltd, Long Stratton, Another Planet

[No insult intended to Long Stratton]

Last edited:
29k? should have gone to specsavers :)

£56k restoration! I like SL's but you'd need to have some personal attachment to that car to justify that level of expense.

I struggle to see that being worth a third of that.

It's only a 300-24, old, white etc.

Doesn't matter if it's been restored or not - you could buy much better R129s for that kind of cash.

Will

at that sort of money my own 24v 129 resto has some equity left !!!!!!! woohoo

ALthough I haven't seen this car, I know the company rather well, and funnily enough I mentioned this car to one of the salesmen a month or so ago.

He filled me on the story of this car.

Apparently the owner wanted to buy a 300SL-24 and was searching for some time. He bought this car, which seemed to be great when he first looked at it. After he bought it, he discovered it was a dog!
So instead of selling it on, he decided to give it a full restoration, so he had an example that met his standards of conditions.
I'm not sure whether Stratton Motor Company undertook any part of the restoration, however they have been tasked with selling it on a Sale Or Return basis - the price has been decided by the vendor, who apparently is long-standing customer of theirs.
I can imagine the vendor is justifying the price because it's basically a new car, but he's certainly misguided!

Darren

Why would any R129 need a "full body restoration"?

£56k spent in 5 years - madness. Could have bought a couple of SL60s for that.

Why would any R129 need a "full body restoration"?
QUOTE]

By the time you've repaired a bit of rust here and a dink there then a R129 doesn't have much left unpainted so it might be better to spray the whole car.
But agree, it's unlikely to need any structural work at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom