Interesting rule of the week: Rule 157

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Silvertank

157: When turning at a cross roads where an oncoming vehicle is also turning right, there is a choice of two methods
  • turn right side to right side; keep the other vehicle on your right and turn behind it. This is generally the safest method as you have a clear view of any approaching traffic when completing your turn
  • left side to left side, turning in front of each other. This can block your view of oncoming vehicles, so take extra care.
Road layout, markings or how the other vehicle is positioned can determine which course should be taken.

157_turn_right.gif

Turning right side to right side

157_turn_left.gif
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/images/157_turn_left.gif
Turning left side to left side

Unless you are a taxi driver or cyclist of course! :bannana: :bannana:

(Humour Alert! Humour Alert! Please do not flame me! I know lots of taxi drivers and cyclists and some of them are fine human beings)

Regards

Mr. Perfect

Silvertank said:
157: When turning [*]left side to left side, turning in front of each other. This can block your view of oncoming vehicles, so take extra care.[/LIST]Road layout, markings or how the other vehicle is positioned can determine which course should be taken.

157_turn_left.gif
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/images/157_turn_left.gif
Turning left side to left side

We have one of these on a Dual-Carriageway intersection near me.:eek:

Very Dangerous :crazy: as one side is on a sharp bend, and you cannot see on-coming traffic clearly particularly when someone is turning in front of you.:crazy: Two lanes of approaching traffic when the lights round the bend change, which you see at the last minute.:crazy:

Sound like that junction needs filter lights Brian.

Gollom said:
(Humour Alert! Humour Alert! Please do not flame me! I know lots of taxi drivers and cyclists and some of them are fine human beings)

Really ;) do you have evidence to support this ?

OK, ya got me. :eek: I know just the one. And now I plead the 5th......

Silvertank said:
157: When turning at a cross roads where an oncoming vehicle is also turning right, there is a choice of two methods
  • turn right side to right side; keep the other vehicle on your right and turn behind it. This is generally the safest method as you have a clear view of any approaching traffic when completing your turn

Ummmm no.

- doesn't work when there is more than one vehicle queuing in at leats one of the directions.

- doesn't work when one of the vehicles is towing or is HGV

- doesn't work on junctions that are narrow.

This comes from a different age.

Dryce said:
Ummmm no.

- doesn't work when there is more than one vehicle queuing in at leats one of the directions.

Maybe when the highway code was written and there were very few vehicles on the road:D :D

Dryce said:
Ummmm no.

Highway Code said:
Road layout, markings or how the other vehicle is positioned can determine which course should be taken

I prefer the element of risk this presents - keeps you on your toes - :eek:

Dryce said:
Ummmm no.

- doesn't work when one driver decides to turn right-to-right and the other chooses left-to-left either!

jdrrco said:
- doesn't work when one driver decides to turn right-to-right and the other chooses left-to-left either!

It reminds me of a tale I heard once about two Lightening aircraft heading towards each other over a runway at an airshow. One of the pilots screamed into the radio,

'You break left and I'll break right.......' :eek: :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it is true, but it still makes me cringe everytime I hear it.

Silvertank said:
It reminds me of a tale I heard once about two Lightening aircraft heading towards each other over a runway at an airshow. One of the pilots screamed into the radio,

'You break left and I'll break right.......' :eek: :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it is true, but it still makes me cringe everytime I hear it.
:D They must have been very slow travelling Lightenings!

I suppose it could be worse.... The pilot could have had a stammer! ;)

Or is that a politically incorrect statement? :rolleyes:

John

Silvertank said:
I'm not sure if it is true

Very much doubt it, there's a standard international rule (which also applies to ships/boats/etc.) that if there's a risk of head-on collision you always break right.

BTB 500 said:
Very much doubt it, there's a standard international rule (which also applies to ships/boats/etc.) that if there's a risk of head-on collision you always break right.
:D What about if one is inverted or indeed upside down? ;)

John the awkward

glojo said:
:D What about if one is inverted or indeed upside down? ;)

John the awkward

Then they would be in the poo:crazy:

Gollom said:
Unless you are a taxi driver or cyclist of course! :bannana: :bannana:

Regards

Mr. Perfect

Not many :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom