Interior Clanking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oppy

Car
C220 CDi Coupe Evolution Panorama 2003
Morning all

I started my car on Tuesday evening and it started to make a "clanking" noise from around the central dash console area. It now does it every time I start the car and lasts for approx 3 mins then stops. It only does this after the car starts and not at any other time?

Can someone give me an idea of what it is please? I have attached a link to a small video i made of the noise - i Think its coming from the area shown on the vid - around the vent areas or certainly behind there somewhere!

Any help would be appreciated - its doing my head in!

Merc C220 cdi dashboard - YouTube

:wallbash:

Afraid to tell you that it sounds very much like one or more of the 'stepper motors' that controls the flow of air from your heater has failed and is a common fault.

Repair is a difficult one to speak of as one of the motors or the link arms to the motor can be replaced by working through the space occupied by the radio otherwise it may be a dashboard out job.

My indie charged me £450 for removal of the dashboard to replace 1 motor & link arm and just he link arm on the second faulty one.

Chances are it'll be one of the motors that operates the foot well vents

Search stepper motors or clicking from behind dashboard

Dave

Thanks Dave

Not great news but at least it gives me something to work with - Think its s job for the new year though :D Appreciate the advise :)

Thanks Dave

Not great news but at least it gives me something to work with - Think its s job for the new year though :D Appreciate the advise :)

Hi Just noticed that your car is similar to mine just a year younger
I'm betting that the heat doesn't make it down to your foot well, the indie in Plymouth is Mercare at Estover & is to be trusted completely. But then you could be miles from here

d

Hello Dave

I will try the heater down to the footwell in the morning - Im up in Leeds so that a tad far although we have a mercare up here in Leeds. Might bob across to them next week and get a prognosis..

The Mb star diagnostic machine will be able to pin point those parts that aren't working, & is likely to read as being 'stuck or sticking'

D

Hello Dave

I will try the heater down to the footwell in the morning - Im up in Leeds so that a tad far although we have a mercare up here in Leeds. Might bob across to them next week and get a prognosis..

Afraid to tell you that it sounds very much like one or more of the 'stepper motors' that controls the flow of air from your heater has failed and is a common fault.

Repair is a difficult one to speak of as one of the motors or the link arms to the motor can be replaced by working through the space occupied by the radio otherwise it may be a dashboard out job.

My indie charged me £450 for removal of the dashboard to replace 1 motor & link arm and just he link arm on the second faulty one.

Chances are it'll be one of the motors that operates the foot well vents

Search stepper motors or clicking from behind dashboard

Dave

+1 for it being a stepper motor.
My indy charged me for 8 hours labour to remove the whole dash as it was the motor on the charcoal filter that had failed. The motor was £109. As everything was in bits I had all the cogs and link arms replaced at the same time - on a CLK these parts came to an extra £43 but might save having to dismantle it all again quite so soon in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom