Interior cleaner /polish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chas

Car
Mercedes GLE 300D 4Matic AMG line
Folks

apart from the seats, what products should I use to clean/polish the interior of my S320 ? (2001)

1.) black marks caused by rubber door seals on interior door surround
2.) Walnut fascia
3.) steering wheel (leather)
4.) doors/plastic
5.) chrome

Its all in excellent codition, I just want to maintain it and keep it looking great by using the right stuff.
Do I need different products for each individual surface or will one magic product do all ??

thanks

:)

search for peanut butter, no its not a joke. Does wonders on dashboards

Chas said:
Folks

apart from the seats, what products should I use to clean/polish the interior of my S320 ? (2001)

1.) black marks caused by rubber door seals on interior door surround
2.) Walnut fascia
3.) steering wheel (leather)
4.) doors/plastic
5.) chrome

Its all in excellent codition, I just want to maintain it and keep it looking great by using the right stuff.
Do I need different products for each individual surface or will one magic product do all ??

thanks

:)

Black Marks - Autoglym interior shampoo is the first thing then, Autoglym Tar Remover - test first but the recomend for upholstery and I have used it with good effect. I have a sand interior so I am always having to get them off. Once off treat with 303 Aerospace Protectant after that nothing to stick to the vinyl.

Walnut Facia - Microfibre cloth and AG interior shampoo then polish up with 303 Aerospace Protectant. or P21S cannuba wax (but use this on the outside as well) I once used bees wax which was a disaster, did not seem to want to come off!.

Steering Wheel Leather - Use the new Autoglym leather cleaner, follow the instructions but use an upholstery sponge to rub it in then leave for 2 minutes repeat if needed. My sand leather on the steering wheel was all dirty right into the texture on the leather, this fetched it up like new. Then treat with Autoglym Leather Care Cream. (Wifey is now using this system on our leather chairs in the house :mad: I keep having to buy more.)

Doors Plastic - 303 Aerospace Protectant - this is amazing on plastics restores and protects. I treated some plastic door plates on a Honda, even though children stand on them they will not scuff and come up clean every time.

Chrome - Is it real crome of plastic chrome. If real you can use a high quality metal polish if plastic use Autoglym Super Resin.

Basically, the Autoglym Leather system is great, if you have got the 303 Aerospace protectant you can do all your plastics and even your walnut it can also clean so you may get your scuff marks off. I have not tried the AG Leather Cleaner on vinyl but it may work. Do invest in an upholstery sponge (decorator sponge) this is a rough sponge texture and is fantastic for interior cleaning, also get some microfibres.

Thanks Goldfish 11 for an excellent reply, and Wezzel too.

Halfords here I come !!!

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

baby wipes to clean leather works for me .. quick, easy and effective

Goldfish11 said:
Black Marks - Autoglym interior shampoo is the first thing then, Autoglym Tar Remover - test first but the recomend for upholstery and I have used it with good effect. I have a sand interior so I am always having to get them off. Once off treat with 303 Aerospace Protectant after that nothing to stick to the vinyl.
Hi Goldfish,
I always treat your tips with the greatest of respect and have learnt a great deal from them.

Why do you suggest using the shampoo before the tar remover though? Would it not be better to attack the tar, then go for the shampoo?

I am the apprentice here and am asking from an educational position, I am certainly not a back seat driver doing any criticising.

Nice tips and I keep meaning to send the boss out to get the Aerospace Protectant.

John

Hi John,

I think what Goldfish actually means is to try and remove the marks using an interior shampoo/cleaner, and if that doesn't shift the marks, work up to something more powerful, ie, tar remover!

Obviously best to avoid the harsh option (ie, tar remover) if possible, hence trying them in that order :)

Just my interpretation :D

Will

Will said:
Hi John,

I think what Goldfish actually means is to try and remove the marks using an interior shampoo/cleaner, and if that doesn't shift the marks, work up to something more powerful, ie, tar remover!

Obviously best to avoid the harsh option (ie, tar remover) if possible, hence trying them in that order :)

Just my interpretation :D

Will
Hi Will,
That certainly makes sense.

I have visions though of using the shampoo, then the tar remover, then back to the shampoo to get the residue black sooty marks off.

Goldfish is someone who I hold in the highest of regard and no way would I dream of criticising.

John

I ate the peanut butter instead !!!

I wonder if Autoglym leather cleaner would make a nice sandwich ..........................??

:p :p :p

Sorry Chaps for not responding earlier, I am in the Philipines, confined to hotel due to anti government demonstrations, getting sick of being searched for bombs. So my lack of explanation is probably down to jet lag :rolleyes:

What I mean is always start with the mildest option i.e. interior shampoo then build up to the harsher option. If the interior shampoo does not shift the mark easily then move onto Tar remover, do let everything dry off between applications. This is really the rule in all car care, use a light polish/cleaner and then build up. Dont go straight for the "T Cut" :crazy:

If you know it is tar then go straight for tar remover, but many black marks are not tar! so check first, it could just be black road grime and interior shampoo will shift this.

I had a nice friend get into the car and put black shoe polish all over the sides of the rear seats and carpets. Interior Shampoo did not shift it, but the tar remover easily fetched it out. Do check for colour fastness first on an small out of the way area (as it says on the instructions). But like anything if you end up using a mild option but then rubbing so hard that it damages the surface you are better with harsher chemical as this does less damage (now I am confusing myself :confused: )

Last edited:
C240Sport97 said:
baby wipes to clean leather works for me .. quick, easy and effective

Do use the ones with Lanolin in if you take this approach, it does condition the leather, I have not tried baby wipes myself however ;)

Baby wipes are great in an emergency when the better half tips loads of junk onto your leather interior. Also great for cleaning leather bike gear.

yes, it has some green stuff and it's more creamy .. I can feel it conditioning my hand !!!

Goldfish11 said:
Do use the ones with Lanolin in if you take this approach, it does condition the leather, I have not tried baby wipes myself however ;)

£10 note and 15 year old daughter always works for me results are stunning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom