Interior dash shine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz1

MB Enthusiast
Car
'08 C320 CDI Sport w/ Advcd. Agility Package
Hi all

Can anyone give any recommendations for a quality dash cleaner that can remove glossy shine. The car is a W211 facelift and the dash and the upper parts of the door panels shine like chrome when the sun is out! They even shine when its cloudy but a lot less. I hope the dash trim on these cars wern't intended to be shiny. Thanks

Is there any significant difference between a spray dash cleaner or a foam spray dash cleaner? Since there is alot of shine on the dash, a strong cleaner is needed...
Thanks

Foam cleaner will lift out deeply ingrained dirt.

As above, damp cloth. Wash it out in a bowl with just a little washing up liquid.

Simoniz SIM03

Simoniz SIM03 500ml Matt Finish Foaming Dash Cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Brings it out looking very factory fresh and matte.

This was like a mirror when I picked it up....
220%20interior%201.jpg

I have used nothing but that Simoniz stuff and a microfibre cloth. I use it on the whole interior, dash, door cards, interior trim pieces.

Can the same stuff be used to remove "cockpit shine"? I can't stand it when people smoother a dashboard in the stuff. Looks tacky and like the car has just rolled off a cheap used car lot.

Yeah.

Simoniz SIM03

Simoniz SIM03 500ml Matt Finish Foaming Dash Cleaner: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Brings it out looking very factory fresh and matte.

This was like a mirror when I picked it up....
220%20interior%201.jpg

I have used nothing but that Simoniz stuff and a microfibre cloth. I use it on the whole interior, dash, door cards, interior trim pieces.

Thanks for reply, coincidentally I use this product as well. I think the reason why the shine does not go away is because the applicator I used was not clean. I will have to try it with a clean microfibre cloth and hope this gets rid of the shine.

Also, buy some APC (all purpose cleaner) and use that.

Meguirs APC is great as it foams up and gets in the grooves, but Tesco sell a product called Daisy APC, next to the Cif etc. in the household cleaning section.

photo6.jpg

About £2 and will transform your car. Dilute around 10:1.

Engine Cleaner diluted to 20:1 is great too, even on old shiny leather.

In fact I would use those first and then keep the Simonez stuff for keeping it clean on a daily basis.

gIzzE said:
Also, buy some APC (all purpose cleaner) and use that.

Meguirs APC is great as it foams up and gets in the grooves, but Tesco sell a product called Daisy APC, next to the Cif etc. in the household cleaning section.

About £2 and will transform your car. Dilute around 10:1.

Engine Cleaner diluted to 20:1 is great too, even on old shiny leather.

In fact I would use those first and then keep the Simonez stuff for keeping it clean on a daily basis.

Thanks for the handy tips. Will try to give them a go.

Hi all

Can anyone give any recommendations for a quality dash cleaner that can remove glossy shine. The car is a W211 facelift and the dash and the upper parts of the door panels shine like chrome when the sun is out! They even shine when its cloudy but a lot less. I hope the dash trim on these cars wern't intended to be shiny. Thanks

GT85 in leaves a fine coating of PTFE and Car valeting is on the can "Provides a beautiful lasting shine on interior plastic trim" £1 on e-bay
It has has a very dinstinctive smell so use well ventilated

Handy for your rusty nuts and cycle chains :)

Last edited:
I used autoglym vinyl and rubber care, you can either leave it to dry for a shine or rub it off straight away with a microfibre cloth for a Matt finish. The advantage of using this to finish is that it leaves an antistatic finish that repels dust and protects finishes from uv damage from the run (when we actually get any Sun , that is!). But first you want to bottom the shiny stuff that has been applied. I use warm water. In a bowl with just a dash of quality. washing up liquid, then go over it again with plain warm water . Then dry off, before applying the autoglym sealing coat. The worst thing I ever did was use some dash cleaning wipes I bought from Makro on an audi A4 dash. I dissolved all the rubber coating on the controls, it completely destroyed the interior finishes on the instruments, window switches, stereo, air con the lot! I learned a very expensive lesson never use cheap valeting products!All the best with it. Jools.

GT85 in leaves a fine coating of PTFE and Car valeting is on the can "Provides a beautiful lasting shine on interior plastic trim" £1 on e-bay

Not so handy for the man who said he wants rid of the shine :fail

jools soul said:
I used autoglym vinyl and rubber care, you can either leave it to dry for a shine or rub it off straight away with a microfibre cloth for a Matt finish. The advantage of using this to finish is that it leaves an antistatic finish that repels dust and protects finishes from uv damage from the run (when we actually get any Sun , that is!). But first you want to bottom the shiny stuff that has been applied. I use warm water. In a bowl with just a dash of quality. washing up liquid, then go over it again with plain warm water . Then dry off, before applying the autoglym sealing coat. The worst thing I ever did was use some dash cleaning wipes I bought from Makro on an audi A4 dash. I dissolved all the rubber coating on the controls, it completely destroyed the interior finishes on the instruments, window switches, stereo, air con the lot! I learned a very expensive lesson never use cheap valeting products!All the best with it. Jools.

Yes, it looks like warm water and fairy is the best bet to get rid of the shine. I have the Simonz foam dash cleaner matt so hopefully that should remove the dirt in the grains and give a extra matt finish after cleaning with water and fairy. That A4 incident must have been a nightmare!

Also, wouldn't using fairy on the dash leave a white film on it even though it is cleaned with plain water after?

meoldbangar said:

Lol I want to remove the shine and not increase it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom