Interior help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gizmo750

Car
Audi TT
Hi all,

Can anyone advise if a steering wheel from an S Class or an E Class will fit my CLK w208 if I use the airbag that I currently have on the existing wheel?

I am after a leather (quartz I think they call it) and Burlwood (Wurzelholz?!?) or whatever its called type.

If anyone has the definate SP on this then please let me know.

Many thanks

Guy

Later 'old model' e-class steering wheels are a straight swap with the later model W208 steering wheels.

I have just ordered a new steering wheel for my CLK. the old wheel is getting a bit tired, thats the only reason. The MB CLK accesories book shows the same wheel fitting both cars.
On visual checking both steering wheels are can be seen to be identical, button layout is identical on both cars.

Gearshift knobs are also interchangeable.

The stealer price is £141 for just the steering wheel. The standard wheel has no wood on show, so that bit doesn't matter.

The centre section (airbag) price is frightening!!

If you need the part numbers, PM me

Paul G

Cheers for the info Paul,

I have been offered an E Class steering wheel in leather / wood design without airbag, so I was going to use the airbag I have on it. If it is the same shape etc (I don't have the Multifunction wheel) then I guess I can buy it and swap the airbag to the new one after I put it on?

Is swapping a steering wheel pretty straight forward or does the airbag make it difficult?

Thanks

Guy

My steering wheel should arrive in a few days - I'll let you know then how difficult it is to swap!

Paul

Guy

Its a piece of cake, if you know what you are doing. I have had both the airbag and wheel replaced, (by somebody with the correct tools), and each took 2 minutes max !

I would have thought this would be a job that the dealer could easily do quite quickly, and hence should not charge you a fortune in "labour" - there is really not much involved. Two torx screws and an electrical connector for the airbag, and one large nut in the centre of the wheel behind the airbag for the steering wheel.

S.

Paul,

Thanks for that, be interested to hear how you get on

Sym, thanks for the supporting info, I didn't think it would be too hard but thought I had better check.

I think I will get this E Class wheel and if it doesn't fit then I can always advertise it on the board!

Cheers

Guy

U R Welcome.

If its a walnut, non-multifunction wheel, and it doesn't fit yours, then please let me know - not sure I'm 100% happy with the birds eye-maple one that I currently have fitted - looks a bit weird and would like walnut ideally !!

S.

Sym,

The one I have been offered is walnut and the light tan colour that I think MB call Quartz!

If you are not sure what I mean then have a look at the interior pics of my car in the Gallery section.

If I know that there is someone who will have it if it doesn't fit my car then I will definately get it. (If it doesn't fit I will pass it to you for whatever I get it for!)

Cheers

Guy

Tan won't go with my car unfortunately :( Never mind. Hope it fits yours !!

S.

I fitted my new steering wheel on Saturday.

Quite straightforward job BUT - the airbag is attached by two recessed torx bolts. My M25 and M30 torx drivers both fitted the bolts (these bolts are fixed with thread locking compound and are extremely tight) but I had to cut both drivers down to fit into the limited space between the rear of the steering wheel and the lower dashboard section.

You won't be able to undertake this job without narrow shafted torx tools. You will probably have to saw them to length.

These were my favorite torx drivers!! I have butchered some of my best tools!! I am not impressed.

Worse still, I accidently switched on the ignition with the airbag removed (what a prat) (to start the engine and turn the steering wheel) and left myself with a fault light that required a dealer reset.

Still, the new wheel looks (and feels) excellent

Thanks to Craig at MB Mansfield for resetting the fault light without charge.

Paul G

Paul,

Thanks for the info - I assume the the torx bolts are fairly obvious (behind the wheel?) And I guess at least you didn't set the airbag off which is the kind of thing I would do!!!

Found out the the bloke offering me the steering wheel was talking through something that is usually reserved for other "output"! The wheel he had was for a w220 S Class and therefore won't fit my car (I believe that I can use the E Class one if I can find one though with the airbag that i currently have on mine)

So, I am still on the hunt for a quartz and walnut steering wheel (the older, non multifunction type) if anyone hears of anything I would appreciate it.

Cheers

Guy

Is there any problems related to steering wheel removal amd air bags?

I heard from one source that the battery should be disconnected for an hour to stop the air bag going off accidently.

Regards

Ideally, you should disconnect the battery. No need to wait an hour though ... :confused::confused:

However, with the ignition off, the air bags should never trigger, and therefore its perfectly safe to swap them with the keys out.

I have had mine removed and replaced twice now - the battery has not been disconnected on either occasion. No fault lights showing either.

S.

**Disclaimer**

Any swapping of airbags without disconnecting the battery done at your own risk !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom