Intermitant knocking/ticking coming from back end!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
Oh dear...Today i noticed an intermitant knocking noise coming from the back end of my auto 190e. It stops when i lift of the gas and when i put it in reverse and then into drive again the noise stoped!!!!! The noise reminded me of a few cars ive had that needed new cv joints. Could this be the case? Or is my joy of merc ownership going to become a seriously exspensive venture :(

stu.

there are CV joints ont he drive shafts...

has it gone away now? or does it return everytime you are in drive?

It seems to be very intermitant. Ie, quite bad one minute and then goes nice and quiet for miles?????? Very odd. i noticed it seems to hapen when turning a corner and then will stay for a bit then go all quiet again....????

sorry if im not making much sense :confused:

Mine did this when I had loose wheelnuts, then after I tightened the wheel up it continued to do it until I adjusted the handbrake.

Horrible noise. Worse when it suddenly gets louder and the back of the car tries to go in the wrong direction.

Bloody hell!!!!!!!! Im gonner go and check the wheels now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jack car up and spin wheels listening for noise - and wobble wheel left right then up down (3/9 o clock, 12/6 o clock) to check wheel bearings

repeat other side.

if you are feeling dodgy - jack both sides up and put in gear listen for noise - if only when both running then probably driveshaft related, if not then halfshaft related.... abs / asr systems will go ******* when you do this! (it will assume you are wheel spinning - if you have an asr off switch do so...)

Update. I finaly got round to getting under the car tonight and the knocking seems to be coming from the front section of the prop shaft just after the cv joint. There's no play in the cv joint it's self and everything seems tight but when you wrigle it, it clonks :( . The odd thing is, the noise seems to come from the middle of the solid section of the shaft. Its like there's somthing loose inside it :confused: .

Anybody any ideas????

Cheers, Stu.

It must be one of ther drive shaft ends. It may be worth changing the shaft for piece of mind, a recon from eurocarparts isn't too expensive and not too hard to fit.

£119.99 from Euro car parts part no 654 22 3010
don't know if you can get it cheeper elsewhere though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom