Intermitant starting problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

123ianmartin

Car
C Class c240 sport est
I`m writing this hoping sombody can help as ive searched the posts to no avail. Ok here goes..... I have a problem with my 98 c class estate starting, the problem is slowly getting worse, when you turn the key the starter gives a quick turn and then stops, as it does this the rev counter jumps round to almost maximum. It does seem to make a difference if i press the accelerator in slightly. If when this problem appears i turn the key to start and keep the key in the start position around 3 seconds pass and it will try to start again E.G. turn the key, starter gives a quick turn and stops, 3 seconds pass and again the starter gives a quick turn and stops until eventually the car starts!!!!!!!
Any help on this would be great as i`m stuck??
As i said it does seem to make a difference if the accelerators moved slightly.
Also it is not the bladed key but the electronic one just in case that makes a difference.

:)
Thanks.

Start off getting battery checked.

Lynall

I take it it is a V6?

If it is the starter and ring gear need lubrication.

Not the v6 as far as i know, the battery was just new and doesn`t sound like the battery i struggling, should i get it tested?

Going to get the battery tested tomorrow to see if thats where the problem lies. Hopefully its not the ignition.

I only know c240 sport and its a 2.4, not the v6 as far as i`m aware. Its doing this more and more now and get the feeling its going to become a problem

for what its worth............ i had the same problem with my 320clk spent a few hundred quid on diagnostics and it was a relay £8.

might not be the same but thought i would share

Thanks i shall have a look at this tomorrow :)
Will let you know the outcome.

Relay

can anyone tell me where the relay is for the ignition or starter? i`m also trying to find out where the relay is for asd to check it also

It does not have an OVP.

Get the starter and ring gear lubricated. That will be the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom