Intermitent Sound Like a Milk Float

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whoji

Hello, I have a 2000 C200 Sport Komp Auto.

I developed this fault today Intermitentley A loud buzzing occurs when driving. It increases in pitch with revs. I have located it to the very top on the engine, by the red part.

I havent a clue, any ideas?

It sounds like it's engine speed related so must be part of the main mechanicals.
Get this checked out as it could be something like a loose timing chain or broken chain guide.

If you're really lucky it might just be the top cover is loose and vibrating, but I doubt it.

r u sure the sound isnt coming from bad earth on your stereo via your car speakers?

Its gradually got worse today so i took it to Robin Lamb in gloucester, he seems to think its the Kompressor, what do you think?

I only bought the car 6 days ago and done 200 miles in it - Oh well S£!T happens!

The bearings get noisy. I think they are available seperatly.

If it is a bearing...

I believe dealers only replace the entire supercharger, and won't replace only the bearing. I've read of people doing a DIY replacement in the US, using an off-the-shelf bearing for the C32 - can't imagine it's much different for the other engines. Apparently some have had local repair shops complete the whole job for $100.

Try the US forums like www.benzword.org and have a sniff around.

It seems strange that it is the Kompressor because there was no loss of performance etc. And no warning lights came on. There was just this bloody annoying noise.

well a bearing wouldnt cause any issues apart from noise and its a known fault on the kompressors...

A new development, after exploration it was found to be the altenator. The shaft and front bearing assembly had dismantled, its being refurbished as we speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom