Intermittent, self-healing fault W204 C220cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

louwdj

Car
W460 1989 230GE; W123 1982 230E; W203 2004 C220Cdi; W204 2009 C220; W416 1978 Unimogdi
Long story, please bear with me.

Whilst driving, error messages would appear in succession:

Run Flat indicator Inoperative;

PRE-SAFE Inoperative;

Restraint System Malfunction;

Cruise Control and SPEEDTRONIC Inoperative;

ABS and ESP Inoperative.

The radio dies and the speedometer and direction indicators stop working. Continued driving, the car is in limp mode with the engine revving at about 4000 rpm for less than 60 Km/hour. The radiator cooling fan runs flat-out. Stopping and restarting does not help.

Initially, I thought going over a bump cured the problem pointing to a possible loose earth as suggested by some. Lately, no bump needed, everything would just start working normally again. Also leaving the car standing, switched off for about 25 minutes, it also self-heals, pointing to a possible faulty electronic component cooling down. This problem used to be a once in a while occurrence but now happens more frequently and I am worried that shortly, it will leave me stranded. I have improved the taillights’ earths and checked every earth I could find.

I have managed to get to an Indy whilst in this error state but the diagnostics would not give any reading, pointing to a power issue per the technician. He then pulled the engine control module and the car (obviously) died. He replaced the module; the car started and was cured. He then was able to run diagnostics (below). I have since tried the same trick, pulling the module, but it did not work for me and I stood for 25 minutes for it to self-heal again.

Unfortunately, the Indy’s computer did not have a printout facility but I took photos of three screens:

20D3-000 Check component Y27/9 (Left EGR positioner). Short circuit to ground

0E7-002 Check component Y94 (Quality control valve). Open circuit in wiring.

2251-003 Check component ../. (photo clipped)….. sensor)’ and ‘N3/9 (CDI control unit)’has an open circuit or short circuit to ground.

23F4-002 Check component ’Y100/1 (Boost pressure positioner)’. The electrical line has an open circuit.

2334-000 Check component ‘N10/1kM (Starter circuit 50 relay)’ Short circuit to ground

235D Test electrical fuse ‘N10/2f44 (Electrical fuse 44)’

22A0-002 Check component ‘Y74 (Pressure regulating valve)’. The electrical line has an open circuit.

22BA Fan output request by air conditioning

22E0 CAN signal “Vehicle speed” from control unit Electronic Stability Program is implausible

23E2-000 Check component G3/2 (O2 sensor upstream of KAT). Short circuit to ground

23F4-002 Component Y100/1 (Right charge pressure positioner) has an open circuit in the wiring

227C-002 Check component M55 (inlet port shutoff motor). Open circuit in wiring

22CA-000 No CAN message was received from control uint’N22/7 (Automatic air conditioning control and operating unit)’

22D3-000 No CAN message was received from control uint’N30/4 (ESP control unit)’

22E2-007 No CAN message was received from control uint’N15/5 (Electronic selector lever module control unit)’

22D7-000 No CAN message was received from control uint’N80 (Steering column tube module control unit)’

Diagnosis identifier 3/83

C121 CAN communication with the traction system has a malfunction.

E318 CAN communication with component ‘N15/5 (Electronic selector lever module control unit)’ or ‘A80’

C103 Communication with the electronic selector lever module has a malfunction.

C164 Communication with the air conditioning has a malfunction.

N15/5 Electronic selector module (ESM [EWM])

Diagnosis identifier 000500

520300 No CAN message was received from control unit’N30/4 (Elec . . photo clipped. .

510608 No CAN message was received from control unit’N30/4 (Elec . . . photo clipped .

A76 - Left front reversible emergency tensioning retractor (A76) (RevETR-LF). Fault

A76/1 - Right front reversible emergency tension retractor (RevETR-R). Fault

N3/9 - CDI – Motor electronics ‘CDID’ for combustion engine ‘OM646’. Fault

N10/1 - Front signal acquisition and actuation module (Driver-side SAM). Fault

N10/2 – Rear signal acquisition and actuation module (Rear SAM)

N30/4 - Electronic stability program (ESP)

A40/8 – Audio/COMMAND display (ZAN)

A1 – Instrument cluster (IC)

Someone else had a similar problem and found a dry joint in a (joining?) component in the cabling next to the driver’s seat. I could not see any problem in mine but my eyesight is not what it used to be and I could not inspect the one closer to the firewall.

It was suggested that it could be a CAN issue (the “fuse box” into which the engine control module and other fuses and modules plug?), but unfortunately, the Indy has no replacement units available for a swap-out. Buying one for this purpose is an option but with no guarantee it will solve the problem, I am loathe doing this.

As it stands it is a very nice car with only 103,000kms, well designed and a pleasure to drive – when it goes. Presently, it is unreliable and a risk to use. My wife (rightly), now refuses to drive it and I cannot sell it with a clear conscience in this condition.

Short of giving the agents (or an Indy) a blank cheque, any suggestions what the problem could be or anything I could try?

Wow! That’s a scary list of faults. Likelihood is that it is one faulty component that is causing all of these (fingers crossed). I would check the central gateway to start with. My GL acted like this with all sorts of unconnected fault codes that would come and go. Ended up being water collected in the passenger footwell where some dummkopf thought it was a good idea to put the central gateway module!

Wow! That’s a scary list of faults. Likelihood is that it is one faulty component that is causing all of these (fingers crossed). I would check the central gateway to start with. My GL acted like this with all sorts of unconnected fault codes that would come and go. Ended up being water collected in the passenger footwell where some dummkopf thought it was a good idea to put the central gateway module!
Thank you, it gives me something to consider.

What diagnostic system did the indie use?
Did he clear the faults first then run the car and check again?

Sounds like the front pre fuse box , if your car is 2011, 2012 era it’s quite a common problem , fuse box is under the bonnet where the jump start positive cable is , I believe there is a diode in there that plays up

Long story, please bear with me.

Whilst driving, error messages would appear in succession:

Run Flat indicator Inoperative;

PRE-SAFE Inoperative;

Restraint System Malfunction;

Cruise Control and SPEEDTRONIC Inoperative;

ABS and ESP Inoperative.

The radio dies and the speedometer and direction indicators stop working. Continued driving, the car is in limp mode with the engine revving at about 4000 rpm for less than 60 Km/hour. The radiator cooling fan runs flat-out. Stopping and restarting does not help.

Initially, I thought going over a bump cured the problem pointing to a possible loose earth as suggested by some. Lately, no bump needed, everything would just start working normally again. Also leaving the car standing, switched off for about 25 minutes, it also self-heals, pointing to a possible faulty electronic component cooling down. This problem used to be a once in a while occurrence but now happens more frequently and I am worried that shortly, it will leave me stranded. I have improved the taillights’ earths and checked every earth I could find.

I have managed to get to an Indy whilst in this error state but the diagnostics would not give any reading, pointing to a power issue per the technician. He then pulled the engine control module and the car (obviously) died. He replaced the module; the car started and was cured. He then was able to run diagnostics (below). I have since tried the same trick, pulling the module, but it did not work for me and I stood for 25 minutes for it to self-heal again.

Unfortunately, the Indy’s computer did not have a printout facility but I took photos of three screens:

20D3-000 Check component Y27/9 (Left EGR positioner). Short circuit to ground

0E7-002 Check component Y94 (Quality control valve). Open circuit in wiring.

2251-003 Check component ../. (photo clipped)….. sensor)’ and ‘N3/9 (CDI control unit)’has an open circuit or short circuit to ground.

23F4-002 Check component ’Y100/1 (Boost pressure positioner)’. The electrical line has an open circuit.

2334-000 Check component ‘N10/1kM (Starter circuit 50 relay)’ Short circuit to ground

235D Test electrical fuse ‘N10/2f44 (Electrical fuse 44)’

22A0-002 Check component ‘Y74 (Pressure regulating valve)’. The electrical line has an open circuit.

22BA Fan output request by air conditioning

22E0 CAN signal “Vehicle speed” from control unit Electronic Stability Program is implausible

23E2-000 Check component G3/2 (O2 sensor upstream of KAT). Short circuit to ground

23F4-002 Component Y100/1 (Right charge pressure positioner) has an open circuit in the wiring

227C-002 Check component M55 (inlet port shutoff motor). Open circuit in wiring

22CA-000 No CAN message was received from control uint’N22/7 (Automatic air conditioning control and operating unit)’

22D3-000 No CAN message was received from control uint’N30/4 (ESP control unit)’

22E2-007 No CAN message was received from control uint’N15/5 (Electronic selector lever module control unit)’

22D7-000 No CAN message was received from control uint’N80 (Steering column tube module control unit)’

Diagnosis identifier 3/83

C121 CAN communication with the traction system has a malfunction.

E318 CAN communication with component ‘N15/5 (Electronic selector lever module control unit)’ or ‘A80’

C103 Communication with the electronic selector lever module has a malfunction.

C164 Communication with the air conditioning has a malfunction.

N15/5 Electronic selector module (ESM [EWM])

Diagnosis identifier 000500

520300 No CAN message was received from control unit’N30/4 (Elec . . photo clipped. .

510608 No CAN message was received from control unit’N30/4 (Elec . . . photo clipped .

A76 - Left front reversible emergency tensioning retractor (A76) (RevETR-LF). Fault

A76/1 - Right front reversible emergency tension retractor (RevETR-R). Fault

N3/9 - CDI – Motor electronics ‘CDID’ for combustion engine ‘OM646’. Fault

N10/1 - Front signal acquisition and actuation module (Driver-side SAM). Fault

N10/2 – Rear signal acquisition and actuation module (Rear SAM)

N30/4 - Electronic stability program (ESP)

A40/8 – Audio/COMMAND display (ZAN)

A1 – Instrument cluster (IC)

Someone else had a similar problem and found a dry joint in a (joining?) component in the cabling next to the driver’s seat. I could not see any problem in mine but my eyesight is not what it used to be and I could not inspect the one closer to the firewall.

It was suggested that it could be a CAN issue (the “fuse box” into which the engine control module and other fuses and modules plug?), but unfortunately, the Indy has no replacement units available for a swap-out. Buying one for this purpose is an option but with no guarantee it will solve the problem, I am loathe doing this.

As it stands it is a very nice car with only 103,000kms, well designed and a pleasure to drive – when it goes. Presently, it is unreliable and a risk to use. My wife (rightly), now refuses to drive it and I cannot sell it with a clear conscience in this condition.

Short of giving the agents (or an Indy) a blank cheque, any suggestions what the problem could be or anything I could try?
Majority of them fault codes will be false error codes due to some kind of power fault. I would start at Battery, Alternator, starter connections and work your way back. causes of CAN faults are quite often power issues due to one connection to a main component that keeps your car alive electrically. Things as silly as a corroded rear wndow demister connection. Anything that pulls a lot of power. Thats just an example Im not saying check it or it is it. Just giving my own thoughts on this. Ide check for water lieing about in any lower parts of the engine especially the corners around the bonnet. Including your boot. Good luck. So annoying.....

Many thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated. The battery is new. The Indy ran a STAR diagnostic system as far as I recall. Once faults are cleared no faults until the next fail. Unlikely the window demister as it never gets used. Likewise any water ingress, the car probably have only seen rain less than a dozen times in its lifetime and I wash it myself. Johannesburg is pretty arid.

I will recheck starter and alternator connections but since it cures itself after standing, I still lean towards some component rather than a connection failure. The Indy suggested its a common or shared power source and leaned towards a CAN issue. The common gateway certainly may be worth a check.

I will probably try to negotiate a deal with the main dealership's service manager, along the lines of possible component swap-outs and a cost limit.

Any other ideas still welcome.

Many thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated. The battery is new. The Indy ran a STAR diagnostic system as far as I recall. Once faults are cleared no faults until the next fail. Unlikely the window demister as it never gets used. Likewise any water ingress, the car probably have only seen rain less than a dozen times in its lifetime and I wash it myself. Johannesburg is pretty arid.

I will recheck starter and alternator connections but since it cures itself after standing, I still lean towards some component rather than a connection failure. The Indy suggested its a common or shared power source and leaned towards a CAN issue. The common gateway certainly may be worth a check.

I will probably try to negotiate a deal with the main dealership's service manager, along the lines of possible component swap-outs and a cost limit.

Any other ideas still welcome.
I took the car to the agents for (a free) diagnosis. Verdict: "Front SAM failure". New one R18,600 (nearly a thousand Pounds). No thank you, at least for the moment, as the scrap yard/breaker's price is only R4,000 (~ £ 210). The breaker however, needs the part number on the unit, forcing me to lift the SAM out to see the part number. To reach the rearmost mountings screws means the windscreen wipers and the plastic cover below the windscreen had to come out first.

The number on the unit is A204 545 5401 which the agents claim is invalid. From the car’s VIN, they quote number A204 900 6709. Regrettably, the breaker presently has neither in stock. I will try others in the coming week.

While lifting this fuse box, cum SAM unit, to see the part number behind all the wires, the main power cable just fell out of its position. The tiny plastic clips holding it in position, no longer exist. A white cable tie around it and other evidence points to possible previous work done. Fact is, the loose cable is probably the cause of the lack of power, causing all the error codes and limp mode. How it managed to become reconnected again at times, is somewhat of a mystery, possibly it was in a borderline connect position, only held by a cable tie to the adjoining power cable. Bumps and hot/cold cable determining the connection. A new clip is only R45 (~£ 2) but is only available ex-Germany and then would need soldering to the cable. Amazingly, the cable is just “press welded” to the clip, no soldering, similar to another a cable at the battery. I made a “plan” which should hold the clip in position and ensure continuous power.

For good measure, I have removed and checked every fuse in the car. Also un-clipped and sprayed every CAN bus connector in the foot-well, all 24 of them, with switch cleaner. The pins in those connectors must be less than 0.5 mm in diameter.

The diagnostic connector still did not work – as was the case when at the agents. With my friend Google’s help, I traced it to fuse 16, a 5amp fuse. Only with very close up scrutiny and a strong light, a meniscus gap can be seen in this very thin fuse wire.

After cancelling all the fault codes with my Launch diagnostic tool, everything is back to normal, except two faults remaining: "CDI - Motor electronics ‘CDID’ for combustion engine ‘OM646’ (N3/9)" and "Driver-side SAM – Front signal acquisition and actuation module (N10/1)".

So, a replacement SAM or someplace that can inspect its circuitry and possibly repair mine, will be the next step.

Thanks again for responding to my post. It is appreciated.

Attachments

• Driver-Side SAM pka Fuse Box.jpg
    Driver-Side SAM pka Fuse Box.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Powe Supply to SAM.jpg
    Powe Supply to SAM.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Underneath front SAM.jpg
    Underneath front SAM.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Cable crimp to terminal plug.jpg
    Cable crimp to terminal plug.jpg