Intermittent vibration at very high speed S212 E63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you got a roof box on or the cross bars for one ? My friends RS6 made these buffering noises until we realised the roof box cross bars were dragging in the airflow.

Have you got a roof box on or the cross bars for one ? My friends RS6 made these buffering noises until we realised the roof box cross bars were dragging in the airflow.

Nope, the roof is totally stock.

Perhaps check the tie rods?

Tie rods are new, like the rest of front suspension. Steering doesn’t vibrate at all. You can let go of steering wheel at 150 and it will drive straight. The car body shakes though.

will need to fix that under-tray I just posted a picture of. Could be all there is to it!

Tie rods are new, like the rest of front suspension. Steering doesn’t vibrate at all. You can let go of steering wheel at 150 and it will drive straight. The car body shakes though.

My S212 is 2015, how come you decided to have all the front suspension replaced ?

The out of round tyres I previously mentioned caused no vibration in the steering, yet all four tyres were oval shaped.

Last edited:
My S212 is 2015, how come you decided to have all the front suspension replaced ?

At 35k steering began to feel loose with odd clunks over bumps. Additionally it started to creek when manoeuvring. I figured a rubber somewhere has had it.

After not thinking very long I got a set of control arms (4) and pair of ball joints. What a timely decision that was! On the way to a garage appointment driver side control arm snapped. Bush sleeve divorced control arm and gave steering another degree of freedom.

Anyway, with new control arms steering become somewhat better but still not perfect. So I followed up with tier rod ends and drop links. Incidentally the creak was still there when weather is cold. By way of elimination the creaky bit must be anti-roll bar bush.

The out of round tyres I previously mentioned caused no vibration in the steering, yet all four tyres were oval shaped.

Ha-ha! It is Monday, finally. I will try to find the magic balancing machine!

I'd get that under tray fixed first before trying the wheel balance. If you try another high speed run with that under tray clip missing you might find the whole under tray removes itself!

I don't know which clips your car uses but you could remove an adjacent one to see what that looks like. It might just be a screw and something similar could then easily be obtained locally. Alternatively a local garage probably would have a pot of clips and could pop one on in seconds.

I'd get that under tray fixed first before trying the wheel balance. If you try another high speed run with that under tray clip missing you might find the whole under tray removes itself!

This happened to me on the autobahn... no vibration, however! Fortunately, I drove it to the nearest MB franchise and they secured it for me within the hour and were very professional and courteous.

y4mj9nXsasxdZF4S3YJ6a1x2MEUi2eZF8TyfcluKAu5WlLvg7DEI2ktLJwZgsIXAANBAkVnQr6xdYT2_LCkutbwHVpdWGkZYowd8JHryWe0mO0kTpaVT6D5zvyoLAfNyY2aZrHte6140PbstyuHULpYer6YE3b2eKMfKsph2oZI8VUHSy5F4zNKTjMJIAd30igQ9a2f32A6ruoSUZuzE8zO6A

ps - OP, have the upper or lower ball joints been replaced? Also, I have squirted Bilt Hamber Ferrosol on the arb, which does a very good job of abating the creaky mattress noise, as it is designed for high tolerance gaps and is a 'creeping' lubricant.

First I'd take the car up to Wheels InMotion and get the wheels , tyres and geometry checked out.

I recently had a high spped vibration issue and the dealership said there was nothing wrong.

Took it up to WIM and they found one wheel slightly buckled, two front tyres out of shape and the tracking out, front and rear.

WIM use a balancing machine that uses a 5 prong hub so that the wheel sits properly on the balancing machine similar to sitting on the car hub. That way the balancing is highly accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom