Internal Dashcam Option?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlueAstra

Car
GLB 200 AMG Line Premium Plus
I have a new GLB and I have noticed in Mercedes Me that there is a dashcam option that can be purchased (£200) that uses the front camera. Does anyone know if the following features are present (info in Mercedes Me is sparse):
1) Can it be set to come on/off automatically with ignition?
2) Can you choose what info is displayed, eg speed, plate, location?
3) Does it automatically overwrite the media stick when it gets full?
4) Will it work in the background so that you can still display other things on the MBUX display, eg radio, navigation?
5) What format are the files stored in? Do you need a special program to view them?
Thanks in advance
Graham

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. VLC will play them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It seems a good option to take out but currently you have to start it each time. Maybe this can be addressed with a software update later.

Is the £200 per year, 3 years or one off?

I believe its a one off £200.

I queried Mercedes Me about it and they said my car needed a 'Fresh Up 3' update from the dealer. Does anyone know what this is? The car is brand new and has 2021 v15.0 map update, and had an over-the-air infotainment update on 23/8.

I think FUP3 update is update to MBUX system which makes sense as the dash cam is a new feature, not sure why it can't be done over the air though

Would of loved an integrated dashcam in my car as not too keen on a dashcam sticking out :/
Think it's only available on models with MBUX and AR Navigation.

Only downside at the moment is you have to start it each time

Good video on YouTube

Think it's only available on models with MBUX and AR Navigation.

Only downside at the moment is you have to start it each time

Good video on YouTube
I seen this video before. I quite like his videos as he explains things well. You would expect a dashcam to be on or at least start when the ignition is turned on. Hopefully a software update should resolve that in the future.

So the software update (FU3) that the Mercedes Me helpline said I needed was in fact not needed. I have MBUX and AR Navigation, and the car settings showed Dashcam (deactivated). I rang Service at the dealers and they knew nothing about an FU3 update. I thought it was a bit strange that the car needed a dealer installed software update since it was only two weeks old after picking it up new from the dealer. The car says its got apilevel/ntg6/081 installed and Mercedes Me says no updates are needed. Anyway, I paid for it in Mercedes Me and it became almost instantly available in the car. I can now record onto a memory stick, and I've added it to the start of my favourites for quick switch on. An auto switch on would be nice, what other dashcam system doesn't offer that?

Thanks for the info.

This is certainly something I would consider when my EQC arrives.

Smartphone Integration is also available through Mercedes Me.

Mercedes customer service sent me this link. It shows the ‘manual’ for the dashcam, and that it is possible to have the dashcam auto start when the ignition is turned on. However, it seems to be country dependent and in the UK it is not available. Can’t see why not when you can do it with every other dashcam available in the UK.

One other thing, it seems take a minute or so to recognise the dashcam when you switch on the ignition, which is annoying when you’ve set up a favourite link to select it quickly.

Mercedes-Benz

looking at the example footage, if this is from the built in camera, why is there so much reflection from the top of the dashboard?

It seems a good option to take out but currently you have to start it each time. Maybe this can be addressed with a software update later.

Is the £200 per year, 3 years or one off?
If it is like any of the other MM products it will be a subscription. Free for 1st three years on a new car.

If it is like any of the other MM products it will be a subscription. Free for 1st three years on a new car.

Not all MBUX features/apps are free for the first 3 years. I understood the dashcam isn't but once purchased, there is no expiry date and no yearly fees?

looking at the example footage, if this is from the built in camera, why is there so much reflection from the top of the dashboard?
Probably because it needs a PO filter on the lens.

Probably because it needs a PO filter on the lens.

Could you please explain that further. I cannot remember seeing any of that glare on our E-class augmented reality view (no dash-cam on that car unless they reduce the price).

Very interesting, I found this thread by accident and as I am awaiting delivery of a GLB I was considering whether to replace my Garmin Dash Cam with either a New Version or another make to Install, I will have a look at the ME Options post Delivery!

£200 for either 3 Years or Lifelong seems very reasonable to me, anyone with Pros & Cons to Report, please Post them!

Having used the internal dashcam for some time now I find the most irritating feature is having to turn it on every time the car is started. Many a time I have started a journey and forgotten to switch it on. I can't understand why it can't start automatically when every other dashcam can. I set up a link in favourites to start it, but its still a pain. It also stopped working recently. The card looked full, and when I deleted the files it started working again. But I noticed the same thing happened if the card was not fully inserted (it can get nudged in the central storage bin), so I'm not sure whether it was because it was full or loosely inserted. The card isn't recognised in the rear usb sockets, where it would be undisturbed.

Although neat and easy to 'fit', I wonder if part of the value of a dashcam is a visible deterrence on your windscreen. People might think twice if they can see a camera, whereas with the internal camera its hidden.

Hi folks, its been a while ! Just got myself GLE AMG 300 SUV W167 May 20 . Just discovered Mercedes Dash cam is available, any comments help etc? Many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom