Internal door hinges / handles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Soon to re-paint all the internal doors.

All the ironmongery is original from 2002 and so looking to replace.

Is there a good place to source these from (I'm looking to match the same hinges to keep the screw holes the same and also either match door handles or increase the footprint to avoid filling screw holes!) or will the usual Screwfix suffice?

Another great outlet is:

Door Handles | Door Knobs | Door Furniture | Window Furniture

Really good quality furniture. I've used these for years.

Recently changed all our door hinges for these. 3" butt hinge (also available in 4")

http://www.morehandles.co.uk/ball-bearing-hinge-3.html

Bit of a tip for you John. Don't skimp on door latches. So many people do and the whole handle latch combo fails in time. These are really good quality:

http://www.morelocks.co.uk/tubular-latch-heavy-sprung-architectural-quality.html

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit of a tip for you John. Don't skimp on door latches. So many people do and the whole handle latch combo fails in time.

Yes, thanks for that. No, my intention was to replace everything with good quality stuff.

Makes sense as our current house is Berkeley and to their credit, they mostly used good quality stuff in the first place and it has lasted (only one door handle has failed so far and it gets the most use).

Clean/sand the existing...it will be a perfect fit. I did this to my doors and they are also the originals from...1872.

Clean/sand the existing...it will be a perfect fit. I did this to my doors and they are also the originals from...1872.

The existing... doors?

My doors are only 14 years old so only need a repaint. No plans to replace them.

It's amazing what you can find on the internet.

I bought a job lot of office style fire doors for my house many years ago, they were from a cancelled office construction job. But I wanted decent door handles.

I managed to find some Gainsborough handle sets, which are made in Australia. The problem was I could only get round black with a gold ring and a gold rose door knob sets to do the downstairs doors, and they are really nice.

For the upstairs doors I had to buy door knobs from Gainsborough again, but they were teak, with a gold rose. I had given up trying to source more ceramic black door knob sets to complete the upstairs.

Every now and again, if I thought of it, I would look on e-bay, but nothing ever turned up.

One evening, I was looking for door fittings for a job that I was doing in a factory, and looking through the hinges, handles etc. I noticed a listing for Gainsborough door knobs - and lo and behold, they were exactly the same as the ones I had bought for my house, twenty years earlier !!!

And not only that, they were in a small hardware supplier about 20 miles from where I live. They were listed at £35:00 a set, but when I rang the company the boss asked how many sets I wanted. I asked him how many he had, and he said 8 sets. I managed to persuade him to sell them all for £125:00 for the lot.

The guy was really nice, and he told me that they were a "demo" order of 20 sets, and this box of 8 sets had never been sold, and they remained on a top shelf for twenty years getting pushed further and further to the back. The did a stock check two years ago, and decided to sell off a load of old stock, including these door knobs, and I was just really lucky to spot them.

They were a straight forward change out of the old teak door knobs, and I was so pleased to have found them. I also have two sets spare in case of problems. But even after twenty five years the downstairs door knobs are still perfect.

When I got them I was like a dog with two d##ks, I can tell you.

Gainsborough door knob white and gold.jpg

The one pictured is a white and gold version as the black and gold item has been out of production for over twenty years at least, and there are no pictures available of it as far as I can see.

parkman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom