International Bugatti Rally

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
I just read a snippet in one of the papers that there's an International Bugatti Rally , with 100 priceless vintage Bugattis touring Scotland this week .

They're down in the Borders today , Edinburgh High Street on the 19th and finishing in Pitlochry at the end of the week .

Such a number of these rare and valuable cars ought to be quite a sight to see .

Sydney Allard had a Bugatti in the 30s (ELX 50). He chucked out the unreliable and fragile engine and stuck a Ford Flathead V8 in and cut the front axle in half (to create independent suspension) which was a considerable improvement on all levels.

Not many people would do that nowadays!

Last edited:
So...thanks to the heads-up from Derek we took the train into a warm sunny Edinburgh to watch the Bugatti Boys and their cars. Here is just a flavour..

And all the way from California. First catch your Ostrich.

Has the one in picture 5 got a flux capacitor fitted by any chance ? It has a digital readout - pretty sure that wasn't around in ol Ettore's day. ;)

Quite fancied this one myself. :D

Although this would also do at a stretch.

Someone even found a Seeyoujimmy hat. I think this was the couple who lived in New Zealand. She was Belgian, he Canadian, and the car is kept in Switzerland. They fly across to partake in rallies. Nice work.

Parliament square, seat of ancient Scottish Government and right in the shadow of St Giles. John Knox might not approve.

If it's not a Jimmy hat then Russ Abbott will do.

What a setting. This looking east down the Royal Mile. That blue stuff in the distance is the North Sea.

Howzat? :D

Definitely photoshopped. I have never seen a sunny day or blue sky in Edinburgh! :)

Thankyou for the post . The photographs are great and the setting is pretty good too . Good job

Can you imagine trundling into Kwik Fit with one of those. "I think you'll find Sir that once our highly skilled technicians have given it the once over it will probably need a new set of discs and pads! Regrettably Sir --- just let me check the catalogue--- I don't think we have the Ying tong iddle i po tyre company of China special offer in that size of tyre at present.

I wondering if the Bugatti which was rescued from the Swiss lake a couple of years ago will ever appear in this condition . I remember the photos when it was brought ashore after 70 years under the water . Only time and money I'll tell

Thanks for those amazing photos .

If only I hadn't been at work I'd have gone across too .

There used to be a type 38 always parked around Royal Circus in Edinburgh about 30 years ago ; it moved from one parking space to another whenever I saw it and , although it was in 'well used' condition , actually appeared still to be in daily use back then ! It might have been present at the rally but who knows ?

I wonder what the total value of those cars would be ?

Also , whether the city fathers would turn the Royal Mile over to us for a display of our cars ... Hmmmm

Can you imagine trundling into Kwik Fit with one of those. "I think you'll find Sir that once our highly skilled technicians have given it the once over it will probably need a new set of discs and pads! Regrettably Sir --- just let me check the catalogue--- I don't think we have the Ying tong iddle i po tyre company of China special offer in that size of tyre at present.

Many of the sizes these things require are made in China. It's about the only way they can be afforded!

The margins on classic car tyres are immense. I fitted new 16s to my Allard - advertised at £300 each, I got mine for £200 and they were not old stock clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom