International News....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
I just got back from Romania (long story, I'll post properly once I've recovered...) but one thing did strike me...

While in Bucuresti yesterday, we stumbled across a massive strike/protest. Figures varied from source to source, but I saw 10,000 people (from the Gendarmes - i.e. the police's figures), 17,000 from the union's figures and 27,000 on the media...

Whichever way it goes (I would estimate a conservative 15k); that's a LOT of people protesting. We conveniently played the tourist card, and hid with the press on the side for a while, then decided to make an exit amidst some pretty impressive singing. (also, we couldn't figure out what they were protesting against.... or for... I think the president, as there was a SANITAS placard comparing him to ceausescu).

What's more, the protest turned violent (or so the police say - we decided not to hang around once the riot vans arrived and started shooting tear gas into the singing crowds).

Now, this was a pretty big deal in Romania, with every television channel being taken over purely by this for the entire day, a lot of flights being delayed and general chaos and traffic everywhere...

I decided to look into this on my return home... and can't find anything about it. Nothing on BBC, CNN, CBS, etc. Not a zilch.

I'm kind of curious why... after all, Romania is meant to be the newest EU member (if I remember well they become part in 2012 - just in time for the olympics). Any ideas why I can't find anything? Are my poor attempts at photography the only bits of evidence left?

M.

Last edited:
They are, my apologies. There's a review in 2012 (or something like that - for issues with corruption)

THOUSANDS OF ROMANIANS PROTEST AGAINST AUSTERITY

Thousands of Romanian clerks, nurses and teachers marched through the capital Bucharest on Wednesday protesting against tax hikes and state sector wage cuts, but the demonstration looked unlikely to sway policy.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LDE68L1MV.htm

a portent of what is to come in the UK??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom