International Saab day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
Just in case anyone here has or likes Saabs, today is part of the "We are many, we are Saab" international convoy/gatherings in support of the brand. Home - Outside-Saab.com

I'm attending one at Cranfield in Milton Keynes (where Saab GB was) at 11am today, so anyone who's close by and would like to show some solidarity with us sad Saab guys, please pop over! :)

Post code: MK43 0TR

Details: Welcome to the SAAB Owners Club (GB) Ltd

SaabsUnited.com

Won't expect to see you there then! :D

Are you sure you've got the date right

Thought it was on April 1st :)

For those who are mildly curious, a few photos from the Cranfield Save Saab day...

Even Saabs suffer from "Barrys"... :)

saabmeet1.JPG

This new 9-5 in the foreground was the very last sold in the UK. The guy saw it at a dealer that was closing down and bought it on wednesday! Brave guy! No warrenty or anything! :(

saabmeet2.JPG

A "mixed" gathering.. :)

saabmeet3.JPG

And my Saab feeling proud, albeit a bit sad.. :D

saabmeet4.JPG

Yup. It's all over. No new Saabs have been made since April 11!

Luckily for those who already have them, a new parts company has been set up (at Cranfield, where the HQ of Saab GB used to be) so at least they can be run. Good really as they're worth pennies right now, so not worth selling! Having bought mine new I don't even want to think about the loss I've sustained on it... :(

Its such a shame....I loved my 9-5 and my 900 vert

The new 9-5 looked a hell of a machine too

How come you can still configure and order them on their website?

They haven't taken the sites down yet. But no, there is no Saab anymore... :(

Having said that, the company is in the hands of the administrators in Sweden and they stated their first aim is to try to sell the company as a whole, and apparently there are a couple of interested parties, one being Magna, who tried to buy Opel a couple of years ago. Magna have a history with Saab as all convertibles were built by them in Austria... We'll see...

Last edited:
From what I've read, all the talent has been poached by other car companies, so there are few designers and engineers left that made Saab 'Saab'. I also read that the Administrators tried to get 100 cars mid way through the production line finished to sell, but the Unions refused.

I think it's all over.:(

I agree. Best that can be hoped now is that someone buys what's left of the factory and creates jobs in Trollhatten again. A big shame for the region as Saab was the main employer..

From what I've read, all the talent has been poached by other car companies, so there are few designers and engineers left that made Saab 'Saab'. I also read that the Administrators tried to get 100 cars mid way through the production line finished to sell, but the Unions refused.

So all the talent that went into engineering the new 9-5 is off....

Not really, its a stretched Insignia under neath, which is no bad thing. I never was a Saab fan, but I am sad for those who liked them and appreciated them. Good cars, just not my bag.

I really like the new 9-5 but at its price, you'd be in a BMW F10 or 212 which really is the killer blow. Its too expensive. Good car, but not that good.

However used ones will be going for a song. Might look into this in a couple of years ;):D

I also read that the Administrators tried to get 100 cars mid way through the production line finished to sell, but the Unions refused.

As I understand it, these 100 cars will be now crushed. Again, sad....

next issue is to try to save the Saab museum. There are a lot of very historic cars there and also the concepts, the Aero X being one my favourites!

This is what might have been, with more care from GM..

saab-aero-x-new.jpg

Aye, Saab per GM is long gone, forced to use substandard platforms and engines and having their hands tied really. Saab before that was an interesting company, but I still never quite 'got' them.

I think the convertible must have been different, because I've never thought it was as bad as a lot of people said. Very well put together (maybe 'cos it was built by Magna?), good handling, no scuttle shake and very, very comfotable! In fact we looked at Audi, Volvo, MB and BMW and still chose the Saab because it felt the best (to us)! In retrospect, bad decision, but back in '08 who knew what was coming.... :D

Last edited:
This new 9-5 in the foreground was the very last sold in the UK. The guy saw it at a dealer that was closing down and bought it on wednesday! Brave guy! No warrenty or anything! :(

saabmeet2.JPG

I wonder how much he got it for.

I'd like to drive the V6 Turbo 9-5. My previous 04 Aero HOT did pull like a train in the midrange and for everyday driving, it was exactly where you wanted the power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom