Internet Access while driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I don't ask, I don't know. It one of the feature I saw at Beemer TV. It controls from IDrive but it didn't say it will not work while driving.

Might as well use a PDA or laptop if the vehicle has to be stationary.:D

Save hundreds of pound where I can get a Dell laptop for £399 rather than over a thousand pound toy in the car.

What your opinion, Unmarked?

Why would someone need the internet when they drive. Its a very visual experience so should IMO be avoided in a car. Can people not now just drive without looking for distractions.

Why would someone need the internet when they drive. Its a very visual experience so should IMO be avoided in a car.

Don't say, you sometimes need both hands as well when surfing...one for the mouse...;)

in the BMW its called ConnectDrive- Online.

And the only thing it gives you is the kind of online service you get from a WAP based mobile, as that is also needed for it to work. so you need to order the Nav system, the buletooth option and a cradle for your phone.

It will however update BMW via the telematics services if your car breakdowns, with the fault, and of course your location. Providing you press the SOS button.

After 3 years you have to pay subscriptions services for this.

So you are looking at a £3k option to receive pretty much what you can do on your phone, on a bigger screen if you sit on your car, whilst its parked.

If I ever end up buying an BWM, it wont be the selected option.

It has no advantages, and no benefits.

And up here, the coverage is rubbish anyway, so it wont work half the time.

You can order a dominoes pize online, while you are waiting at the traffic lights, and it will be arriving at home as you do.

Providing there is a dominoes near you that is, and not 82miles away.

Horrendous ISP service from talktalk this morning. Anyone else with the same horror?

It was OK as of last night about 10pm. Switch on this morning at 8.30am. Tried everything, change the microswitch, pull out all other phones, use alternative wireless router. Waited 2 hours on the support line and heard the talking book at least 4 times repeatedly. Finally managed to get thru somewhere in India. Asked to do the normal to change the password as came from the welcome letter. Then asked to change to a different password they reset to. Was told the first line level support that all they can do and have to make another phone number call for 2nd level support. Again the same talking book for at least 2 times repeatedly.

Used initiative to change back to the password that came from the welcome letter. Phow, connection OK but all internet redirected to their own page to set the router. Another phone number to call to retrieve the password they reset to. Did this again they it finally works at 11am. Two and a half hours wasted. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Updated to Vista SP1 yesterday afternoon, could it be the reason?

Should be better time spent a drive to London and stuck in the traffic due to bike race yesterday and today.

Sunny but howling wind. Worry the wooden fence may get blown over.

Last edited:
We are talking about using iDrive to surf the internet.

Why on earth you'd you be in a BMW for a start...

No seriously, the clue is in the name. "iDrive" its not "iSURF". Its this 24.7 culture we're all headed into, the world won't stop because you can't get on the web for a couple of hours.

Seriously, the internet is not needed in a car. A decent radio, CD player and even a phone can have a purpose. But MBClub @ 60mph on a country road, nah.

This topic is so stupid that should be moved to OFF-TOPIC section. You guys are talking about law and not IT. Whoa! Not LAW, but stupidity!!!
That is the lowest topic I've seen on this forum.

NEXT: DRINKING LAGER IN CARS NOW POSSIBLE AS COOLBOXES ARE IN MOST CARS! More news at 11...

Cheers
Chris

Horrendous ISP service from talktalk this morning. Anyone else with the same horror?

It was OK as of last night about 10pm. Switch on this morning at 8.30am. Tried everything, change the microswitch, pull out all other phones, use alternative wireless router. Waited 2 hours on the support line and heard the talking book at least 4 times repeatedly. Finally managed to get thru somewhere in India. Asked to do the normal to change the password as came from the welcome letter. Then asked to change to a different password they reset to. Was told the first line level support that all they can do and have to make another phone number call for 2nd level support. Again the same talking book for at least 2 times repeatedly.

Used initiative to change back to the password that came from the welcome letter. Phow, connection OK but all internet redirected to their own page to set the router. Another phone number to call to retrieve the password they reset to. Did this again they it finally works at 11am. Two and a half hours wasted. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Updated to Vista SP1 yesterday afternoon, could it be the reason?

Should be better time spent a drive to London and stuck in the traffic due to bike race yesterday and today.

Sunny but howling wind. Worry the wooden fence may get blown over.

HOW is that related to this thread?
Where are mods?

Chris

Why on earth you'd you be in a BMW for a start...

No seriously, the clue is in the name. "iDrive" its not "iSURF". Its this 24.7 culture we're all headed into, the world won't stop because you can't get on the web for a couple of hours.

Seriously, the internet is not needed in a car. A decent radio, CD player and even a phone can have a purpose. But MBClub @ 60mph on a country road, nah.

Answer: Look at post #15 on this thread, our PC said it OK to surf the internet while driving and similar to sat nav, it entirely up to you as long as it hand free and you do not cause a danger to other road users.:D

What your opinion, Unmarked?

I refer you to Carrotchomper's post for the legal side of things

On the serious side! I imagine an internet browser would be considered an "Interactive Communication Device" so would fall within the new mobile 'phone legislation in one way. But it's not handheld- Would probably come under "Not under proper control".

For my opinion I refer you to Stevesy's post :D

You need to ask!

Answer: Look at post #15 on this thread, our PC said it OK to surf the internet while driving and similar to sat nav, it entirely up to you as long as it hand free and you do not cause a danger to other road users.:D

Just because its legal doesn't make it right....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom