Internet explorer 6 to 8 recovery advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lynall

MB Enthusiast
Car
The silver one.
Changed to ie 8 yesterday and i cant find all my old e mail files, anyway i can do this?

Its not the end of the world if not just annoying:(.

Computer now seems to run faster on the net.

Lynall

When you say email files, are these emails received through MS Outlook?
As I would not expect these to have been effected from a new version of IE.

As above - Internet Explorer is a web browser, not an email programme.
How were you accessing your email before?

This doesnt answer the question but thought you should be aware that IE8 has a bug that prevents you from opening JPG files from outlook express attachments. However it is possible to save them and then browse to where they are to open them - last i heard Microsoft denied there was a problem at first. Still think they are trying to sort it.

Hence i reverted back to IE7.

use mozilla mate ;)

This doesnt answer the question but thought you should be aware that IE8 has a bug that prevents you from opening JPG files from outlook express attachments. However it is possible to save them and then browse to where they are to open them - last i heard Microsoft denied there was a problem at first. Still think they are trying to sort it.

Hence i reverted back to IE7.

Now sorted or at least it is in Outlook not sure about Express though, but the issue was the same

I think i was accessing my e mail at virgin media via the web browser, now when i click on mail icon at top of page it goes to msn, whereas before it automatically downloaded from the virgin media site.

Now i have to go to virgin media homepage to get e mails.

Can find msn explorer in list of programs but not ie8 any ideas, got to be simple/easy though:D

Lynall

Try:

Tools - Internet Options - Programs

Under 'E mail' do you get the option to select software from a list?
I can chose from Thunderbird, Outlook and Hotmail.

HTH

I think i was accessing my e mail at virgin media via the web browser, now when i click on mail icon at top of page it goes to msn, whereas before it automatically downloaded from the virgin media site.

Now i have to go to virgin media homepage to get e mails.

Can find msn explorer in list of programs but not ie8 any ideas, got to be simple/easy though:D

Lynall

I think IE8 by default loads up MSN as your home page. Click on tools and change the home page to the Virgin Media home page or email page and that should sort it.

By Default, the IE 8 homepage is MSN.com

Most likely, you have upgraded to IE8, and as your email is configured to use a web browser it goes straight to the default homepage.

You need to configure the mail icon to point to http://webmail.virgin.net

Alternativley you could just create a shortcut on your desktop (Right Click --> NEW --> SHORTCUT ) and then in the location put Webmail and rename the shortcut as eMAIL. This way it will go to that location and no matter what your default browser is.

Finally, one other way is to go to the virgin.net website and look for a utility that configures the settings for you.

Personally, I would go the new desktop shortcut route.

- Was!

Finally found all my old mails:D search files and folders sorted thanks for the advice:).

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom