Internet Explorer Loading Really Slowly!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc180k

Car
C180K Avantgarde SE Sport
Hi all,

I have noticed lately that my laptop seems to be loading internet explorer window really slowly initially, taking an age to display a picture - spends ages in a frozen sort of state!

The hard drive sounds as if it accessing loads of files but nothing shows on the screen - then eventually - hey presto, we have the home page. It seems slow, but not as it is at first, when moving between web sites too.

Any ideas what is wrong or needs to be sorted? (Recently ran defrag and disk cleanup but no faster I'm afraid!)

Thanks for any help.....

Simon

I would try another browser to eliminate certain possible problems. When you say you are loading internet explorer are you connecting to the internet at the same time . Wonder if you are being routed thro a different proxy server from normal?

Have you tried a different browser?

I would try another browser to eliminate certain possible problems. When you say you are loading internet explorer are you connecting to the internet at the same time . Wonder if you are being routed thro a different proxy server from normal?
Haven't tried a different browser, not sure I want to use another one as I'm running explorer on the other laptop too. As for the proxy server - not sure on that one as the other wireless laptop works fine. Both are wireless with my home network permenantly connected to the net.

While it's trying to load IE can you open other applications normally? What I'm getting at is whether you have an IE problem or a PC problem.

While IE is stuck, open Task Manager and see what other applications and/or processes are running simultaneously. You (or someone else) may have unwittingly downloaded something with a so-called 'helper' which can slow down things a treat as they take over your PC. If you have IE8, click on 'Tools>Manage Add-ons' to see what you have.

Download and run Malwarebytes. This will zap most nasties that have found their way onto your machine.

Although a long user of IE , especially for my work - I recently tried Google Chrome (having tried it when it first came out) - I was really surprised at the speed it loads.

I am not promoting it, but I would definitelyhave Google Chrome installed to see the difference in performance.

IE8 Is awful

i would hear nothing bad against it untill i tried firefox

Download Firefox 3.6.3 - FileHippo.com

its much quicker by far and when you install it it asks if you want to copy your bookmarks/favourites over

also has instant google search opion and superb personal pics that are at the top of the screen

you can have 4 browsers on 1 pc with no troubles at all

Do You by any chance have an old version of Norton Anti-virus installed?

I had a similar experience with my laptop - slow to load IE8 and eventually I started getting 'disk space low' warnings....

It turned out that thousands of old Norton files (.slu) hadn't been deleted when an update had loaded. I used the Symantec on-line chat facility; they removed everything and reloaded Antivirus 2010. Which freed up something like 8 Gb of C-drive space.....

That laptop now runs as well as any 7 year old Dell can be expected to.

I had a problem where Firefox would work fine but IE wouldn't connect at all. I have to use both as my business banking won't work on anything other than IE (frustratingly).

It's a known problem - try the follwing:-

Try resetting IE to defaults.
You can do this in IE by going to Tools>Internet Options or Control Panel>Internet Options
Go to Advanced tab, under Reset settings and click on Reset.

That should sort our your IE problems.

I'd restart as well just to make sure.

or try this:-

Go to control panel - internet options - connections tab - LAN settings
then uncheck automatically detect settings.

Thanks for all of the responses - the uninstallation of google toolbar together with a reset of the IE8 options seems to have done the trick! Back to a normal working speed now and no need to go and make a cup of tea after clicking to load before it does anything.

Thanks again - although as a cruel twist of fate it has prompted my next thread within this section!!

IE8 Is awful

i would hear nothing bad against it untill i tried firefox

Download Firefox 3.6.3 - FileHippo.com

its much quicker by far and when you install it it asks if you want to copy your bookmarks/favourites over

also has instant google search opion and superb personal pics that are at the top of the screen

you can have 4 browsers on 1 pc with no troubles at all

I'd second this. Firefox is what IE8 should have been. Fast (with adblock very fast), proper spellcheckingg*, just works.

rolleyes.gif

Glad you got this problem fixed. I would just like to note that going into Tools > Manage Add-ons, and disabling your add-ons, can dramatically speed up browsing, and stop freezing.
Cheers,
Kyler
IE Outreach Team

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom