Internet Explorer new window size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
Where is the 'new window size' for Internet Explorer stored?

Although I'm now using Win7 64bit and IE8 I've had the the same 'feature' on previous versions.

Basically when a link opens a new window (not tab) in Internet Explorer it is very small. It used to be OK, but I'm guessing one link wanted to force a window this particular size and has left behind something which makes every subsequent window open at this same size.

I've tried resizing and closing it with various combinations of CTRL, ALT, and SHIFT to no avail. I'm quite happy using regedit if needs be.

Can't speak for newer version of IE and Windows, and it sounds like you've already tried this anyway, but I know with IE 6 on Windows XP the default new window size is set when you close IE with its window not maximised.

Tried all that.

Somewhere in there is a registry entry or maybe a cookie that's forcing the new window to be the size it is.

Try this…
-Make the window the size that you want it to be.
-Close Internet Explorer.
-Re-start your computer.

Dec

Try this…
-Make the window the size that you want it to be.
-Re-start your computer.

Dec

Sadly not.

If you are a web developer and want to force IE to open in a new window of a specific size, what would you do?

I think dec is right when he said make the new window the size you want, Do it by grabbing the window by the bottom right corner, Dont do it just by clicking the maximise button.

1 Close any open Internet Explorer windows. Reopen Internet Explorer. The program's main window will open.
2 Navigate to a website containing links. Right click on any link. Select "Open in New Window."
3 Size the new window to the way you want all new windows to appear by clicking on the bottom or sides of the window and dragging it to the position and size you want.
4 Press and hold the "Shift" key on your computer's keyboard. Click on the "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the new window to close it.
5 Press and hold the "Shift" key. Click on the "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the main Internet Explorer window to close it.

You have now set Internet Explorer to open all windows in the desired size.

I would consider going over to firefox, dont frive yourself mad. Download firefox install it goto file import>from IE and all settings and bookmarks passwords etc wil be imported into Firefox. If you need to know how to set up the toolbars just ask.

I'm using Win7 64bit and IE8 too but don’t have this problem so perhaps there is something else going on as you suggest.

Do other programs like Paint/Word remember their last window size?

Something else to try…

-Open Internet Explorer… just one window.

-Right click the very top bar in the window, a dropdown menu will appear, left click Size.

-Your mouse pointer will turn to a 4 sided arrow, move to the edge of the window, when the 4 sided arrow turns to a 2 sided arrow, resize the window to the size that you want it to be.

Dec

OK – you said you were up for some Registry hacking... :eek: :)

Once again I only know this applies to IE 6 on Windows XP, so may not help you.

It's stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Window_Placement, which is a binary dump of a WINDOWPLACEMENT structure.

The last four integers (four bytes each) are the left, top, right and bottom coordinates of the default window position.

Dec wins the banana :bannana:

Thanks to everyone who replied :thumb:

LastMinute, I'll have a look at the registry entry. After all, what can go wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom