Internet Radio download usage amount?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Hi everyone,

My uncle is going to buy a wireless dongle for an old laptop he has been given.

How much of his 3GB monthly allowance would he use listening to internet radio? (Probably 4-5 hours per day).

TIA.

Paul.

I am still astonished when I read about people with Internet accounts with a cap on downloads. How cheap are these accounts? I have an unlimited download limit at 20MBPS from O2 Broadband for the princely sum of £7.34 a month.

Last edited:
I assume you meant 20mb/s but yes, unless its mobile data over 3G or something, I dont understand why anyone would have a cap on broadband usage.

If it is 3G data you are talking of, then yes, I think you'll exceed the usage limits pretty quickly. With a very average bit rate @120Kb/s it works out at about 60 Meg per hour.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am still astonished when I read about people with Internet accounts with a cap on downloads. How cheap are these accounts? I have an unlimited download limit at 20MBPS from O2 Broadband for the princely sum of £7.34 a month.

The OP was refering to 3G mobile broadband where caps are the norm.

And the O2 broadband at £7.34 is 8Mbps not 20Mbps (which is £9.79) and you need an existing O2 account to get those prices.

Internet radio bit rates are typically up to 128kbs if this is of help
e.g.

The best-known example of an on-demand radio service is the BBC's Listen Again service, which has recently been fully integrated into the BBC iPlayer alongside the on-demand TV streams. The BBC has also significantly improved the quality of the on-demand streams, as they're now using the following bit rates with the MP3 codec:

Content type MP3 bit rate/kbps/Audio mode
Pop music Radios 1 & 2 128 Joint stereo
Classical music Radio 3 192 Joint stereo
Stereo speech Radio 4 128 Joint stereo
Mono speech Radio 5 80 Mono

The BBC has said it is going to switch its live and on-demand streams to using the AAC/AAC+ audio codec later this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom