Intro to MB ownership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benzbarmy1

Car
Searching
I have been an MB fan for many years and may soon be joining as an "owner". I have recently retired and am looking for a practical 2nd car (we have a fairly new VW for every day). I am a very practical DIY'er interms of maintenance, having had a heavy goods business for many years and doing all my own vehicle maintenance.

Which MB would be an easy DIY manitenance project.
mike

I'd say anything up to early 2000's. After that they all start getting complicated electrickery and engine bays that are tighter than a ducks ****. Actually thats a bit of a lie, w140's are from the mid 90's and they can be a bit of a pain as well. It all depends what you want.

The presence of electronics in modern cars is indeed a pain however it mainly adds a layer of complication but without taking away the need for good old maintenance.

Of course for many things today STAR is a must have, but you can still have your hands full doing traditional mechanic's work.

The key to DYI is choosing a simple engine that's easy to work on, and the M271 come to mind with 4 inline and upright, and lots of room in the engine bay around the block with good access to (almost) all components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom