Introduction from a potential new CLK owner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave_Bax

Car
CLK320
Hi, I thought I would introduce myself as I have been reseraching this and other forums (but this is the best :thumb:) prior to a new car purchase.

I am viewing a 2003, CLK320 tomorrow with 52k miles and some if not all service history (I will confirm tomorrow).

Now I am aware of the Valeo rad issue and potential rust on the arches, but I was wondering how many services I should expect to be seeing on a CLK of this age and mileage, isn't the service interval dynamic and dependant upon the cars use?

Also do I need to be mindfull of any impending large service bills on a CLK320 of this age / mileage.

Thanks in advance.

If its a late 2003 build then rust should not be such an issue. I think they were galvanised from late 03 onwards. I have a late 03 CLK and there are no bodywork issues on it so far.
With that sort of mileage it would have been due a time based service every 2 years. The big service is the one at around 40,000. This involves new plugs, fuel filter and ATF fluid change so pretty pricey. Also likely to have needed new discs and pads.
In general very reliable. In 8 years the only unscheduled repair has been an airbag module. Otherwise trouble free.

Cheers GP801 thats just the kind of info I was after.

So there should be about 4 stamps in the service book and I will check for plugs, discs etc in the list. great stuff.

Hello Dave
Welcome to the Forum :thumb:

4 stamps minimum, possibly 5 depending on how the miles were accumulated. Mine has 45,000 on the clock and has just had its 4th service.

How much is it and do you have a link? Mines a 2002 with 48000
and it's got at least 6 mercedes stamps from memory.

Services aren't necessarily done on mileage.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

The CLK was in very good condition, a couple of issues. The passenger mirror would not operate electrically, it would retract (fold) in but not adjust, the dealer will fix this also there was the start of some rust in the drivers reaer arch, on the edge of the metal lip that folds in, not visible unless you look under the arch but needs sorting out before it spreads. The vehicle was registered Nov 2003 so i would have thought it was fully galvanised but depends when it was built i suppose and not when it was registered.

Would MB cover the russt? I know there is a lot of info on here, rust so im going to do some searching.

There are 3 service stamps and the last one was at 47k which was the big one (plugs, ATF etc) done at an indy garage, the other two were MB dealership.

The car drove very well indeed, felt very tight, steering was fine, did local and motorway test both fine, kick down all ok. Unmarked bodywork and interior. I got the price down to 6.5k and left a deposit. Can't wait to pick her up, probably next week.

If it has rust walk away. Merc are supposed to cover bodywork but car must have merc service history. They will try to wriggle out of any claim.

If it has rust walk away. Merc are supposed to cover bodywork but car must have merc service history. They will try to wriggle out of any claim.

Indeed as has been seen so many times on here :(

Great cars tho'

The rust isnt that bad it's literally like a pen line on the edge of the inner lip of the arch at the metals edge. I will nned to address it before it spreads though.

To be honest it was one of the few minor things I could actually use to beat the price down.

I was just querying from the point of view of MB funding or part funding the repair. I have been looking through the forum today and I am probably on a lost causetrying to get MB to do it, but i'll give it a shot, you never now. Failing that I will get it looked into by my local bodyshop before winter.

Welcome to the forum!

Stamps mean nothing.... without supporting paperwork... that can be verified.

Let us know how you go.

The rust isnt that bad it's literally like a pen line on the edge of the inner lip of the arch at the metals edge. I will nned to address it before it spreads though.

To be honest it was one of the few minor things I could actually use to beat the price down.

I was just querying from the point of view of MB funding or part funding the repair. I have been looking through the forum today and I am probably on a lost causetrying to get MB to do it, but i'll give it a shot, you never now. Failing that I will get it looked into by my local bodyshop before winter.

My point being that's only the rust you can see now, potentially you could be doing rust repairs for however many years you own the car...

Just a quick update:
I purchased the CLK and have to say i am very pleased with it. I spoke with the previous owner over the phone who had purchased it in 2004 from a leasing company and he has had no issues with the car, he PX'd it for an Audi Q10.

I have had the CLK inspected by Pro-Tech nr Newbury and aside from useual wear and tear in suspension bushes etc, everything is pretty much spot on.

The guys at Pro-Tech were very helpfull actually and I would recomend them.

Overall I'm a very happy chappy.

Nice One dave...

I haven't been on here for YEARS...
But I am hoping to buy a CLK also but looking at the convertibles.

Really miss my W202 though... anyone seen her? bristol area! guy called kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom