Investigative Work + Service plus issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Storm

How do things generally work at dealers when you take your car in and you're not exactly certain of the problem?

For example, I'm taking my car in this week and I've got a problem with my aircon (it's not cooling the driver's side and it's squeaking really loudly) and my car has suddenly become really uneconomic. I used to get near enough 400 miles out of a tank and now I can only get just over 250, so there's clearly a problem.

However, if they look into these (especially the 'economy' issue) and don't find anything, will I still be expected to put my hand in my pocket? I'm just worried that they'll spend 7 hours trying to identify the problem and I'll get hit with a £500+ bill and nothing to show for it.

Interestingly, I've got service plus, which I was told (when I took it out) that it would cover all repairs and investigative work, but was told by the dealers on the phone that it wouldn't cover any of my problems.
It looks like I'm going to have a bit of a battle on my hands as I've read my policy which seems to clearly indicate that I'm covered.

This really isn't going to be fun.

As an aside, can anyone name a dealer in the North West where they've had repair work conducted under service plus? I think it might help me out if I at least take my car to a dealer who knows what is and isn't covered by Service Plus.

Ouch, I understand they need paying for the work, but I disagree with having to pay out if they've not been able to find the cause of the problem. Or at least have the investigative work capped or something. Hmphf.

I suspect that you need to prepare yourself for a battle with Service Plus. I was sold the scheme on the basis that everything apart from Tyres would be covered, but there have been individual instances on here where MB have been reluctant to extend the scheme as previously described.

Your air con clearly has an issue, and the econmy can't be right. You may just have to keep taking it back. I would imagine the first thing they will do in any case is put it on Star, and if there are no faults tell you that you are imagining it!

Pleae let us know how you get on with SP as there are a few of us watching with interest!

unfortunately I live to far away to recomend a dealer, and Doncaster are not very good on SP in any case...

David

I've reported faults with the car's handling and the sat nav and they just avoid the issue by saying they tried the car and in their opinion it's fine.

Other work, such as ATF change suddenly doesn't need doing on my car, and pitted disks that would "defintely need changing soon" are found to be perfectly OK and not need changing after all.

Not sure if you'd get away with avoiding saying the car is on ServicePlus when you book it in, but one forum member reported the dealership calling him and going through the "we've got the wheels off and it needs pads, disks etc etc" routine. He said "sure, go ahead". When he picked the car up and they asked how he was going to pay and he said "ServicePlus", there was a look of consternation on their faces!

Last edited:
When I had a problem with a rattle in my car they told me they would only charge me if they could fix it. No fix no charge regardless of the time spent finding out.

I've had investigative work carried out on the C220 I had previously, plus my current Mondeo:

Mercedes dealer - charged (rear suspension-related. Result: feedback, and repairs undertaken at additional cost)

Ford dealer - no charge (ironically air con-related. Result: feedback, no further action taken by me at the dealer (I went to an Indie))

Go figure

Thanks for the info gents.

I've searched the threads for "ServicePlus" and it makes interesting reading. It does appear that I'll be in for a battle.

Luckily I managed to get something in writing which confirmed that the following specific items are covered:

(1) Automatic transmission failure
(2) Intercooler pump failure
(3) Catalytic Converter failure
(4) Sway bar bushes and thrust arm failure
(5) Radio/CD unit failure

Now, aircon isn't listed unfortunately, but the letter did point out that all the above are covered as are all major units providing that they've been subjected to fair wear and tear.

Unfortunately, I've already asked the dealer if this work would be covered under service plus - they said no. So I'm in a bit of an awkward situation now in that I don't know whether to start fighting the battle before the work has even been carried out or just take my car to a different dealer, let them do the work and then argue afterwards...

I really don't know what MB are thinking of by giving owners such stress and hassle - ServicePlus was supposed to be a total peace of mind option.

They get good money from ServicePlus fees - I'm paying £80/mth for a car which has never needed anything but the most basic servicing - but do they seriously think that anyone who has been jerked about like this will ever buy a Mercedes Benz again?

Luckily I managed to get something in writing which confirmed that the following specific items are covered:

I recognise that list!!

Thanks for the info gents.

I've searched the threads for "ServicePlus" and it makes interesting reading. It does appear that I'll be in for a battle.

Now, aircon isn't listed unfortunately, but the letter did point out that all the above are covered as are all major units providing that they've been subjected to fair wear and tear.

Unfortunately, I've already asked the dealer if this work would be covered under service plus - they said no. So I'm in a bit of an awkward situation now in that I don't know whether to start fighting the battle before the work has even been carried out or just take my car to a different dealer, let them do the work and then argue afterwards...

Read my experience with Service-Plus here.

It seems MB will refuse a claim almost out-of-hand until the customer challenges their decision.

The way the Service-Plus contract is worded, unless something is explicitly excluded it should be covered, if the condition is due to wear and tear.....

The aircon problem, it makes a noise now, it didn't before, so something has broken/worn out. And that must have been due to being used!!

Read my experience with Service-Plus here.

The aircon problem, it makes a noise now, it didn't before, so something has broken/worn out. And that must have been due to being used!!

Don't want to throw a dampener on that -- but a/c may be playing up because it hasn't been used enough.... can cause more problems not using than using..

I switched dealers recently. The deciding factor was after my usual Service Advisor left, I was introduced to his replacement.

I called to say my parking brake had stopped working and could they have a quick look. As I didn't really have any history with him, I mentioned it had an extended MB warranty. He said I'd have to pay for the repair because it wouldn't be covered. I said, well have a look-see first and then you can tell me if it's covered or not. He said they could look but I'd have to pay for the time spent on it. I've taken all my business elsewhere. Poor service.

Olly's chap at http://www.prestigecarservice.co.uk/ (member BlackC55) sorted it whilst the aircon was being regassed. Great service.

My experience with Service Plus has been excellent: no quibbles at all- several claims - front wishbones, wheels bearings, differential, half shafts, prop shaft, wheel bearings, even 4-wheel laser alignment was covered at no cost. I just wish fewer bits of the car would fall off.

My only gripe is with the quality of the dealer diagnostic work: £2000 repair and 2 weeks investigation work later...traced to a wheel bearing. Doh! But I did not pay a penny.

If your air con is broken then it is covered if it is 'wear'. The dealer is fobbing you off. Read your Service Plus terms. If I were you I would get the problem fixed, pay the full amount if they quibble, then politely ask for a refund. if they refuse be even more polite and issue a county court summons without any threats. If it goes to court the judge may find in your favour if the T&Cs are unreasonable or vague. The law is on your side.

Good luck.

My experience with Service Plus has been excellent: no quibbles at all- several claims - front wishbones, wheels bearings, differential, half shafts, prop shaft, wheel bearings, even 4-wheel laser alignment was covered at no cost. I just wish fewer bits of the car would fall off.

My only gripe is with the quality of the dealer diagnostic work: £2000 repair and 2 weeks investigation work later...traced to a wheel bearing. Doh! But I did not pay a penny.

If your air con is broken then it is covered if it is 'wear'. The dealer is fobbing you off. Read your Service Plus terms. If I were you I would get the problem fixed, pay the full amount if they quibble, then politely ask for a refund. if they refuse be even more polite and issue a county court summons without any threats. If it goes to court the judge may find in your favour if the T&Cs are unreasonable or vague. The law is on your side.

Good luck.

I concur with all the above, except "the dealer is fobbing you off". All the dealer can do is apply to Service -Plus with the claim and comply with their answer. True, a dealer could be more persistent or persuasive in their arguments with the claims dept but when it comes down to it they have to abide by the decision.
Ask the dealer to apply again, explaining that nowhere in the T&Cs does it exclude your claim. If it comes back "No" again ask the dealer for copies of all their correspondance with Service-Plus (probably just emails) and their diagnosis worksheet and speak directly to Service-Plus yourself. Ask for their reasons for refusing the claim, keep insisting that nowhere in the contract does it exclude your particular situation. They will take details, issue a case reference and tell you they will look into it again.
In all probability they will come back with a good-will offer that covers the costs. Thereby not accepting the validity of the claim but still paying for it.
MB are desperately trying to tighten up on Service-Plus claims but as others have already said the wording of the contract is so open that they really don't have a choice. They certainly won't want it to go to court..

Thanks again everyone. I think my best course of action is to let the dealer examine the car, and request that they contact me before carrying out any repairs. Once they let me know the cause I'll ask that they apply for funding from Service Plus and take it from there.

If they refuse to pay out and I believe that they should then I am fully prepared to issue a summons.

I'm reluctant to apply too much pressure before they've even looked at the car in case they report the cause of the fault(s) as something different than they actually are... (excuse me for not being very trusting).

I'm having some stuff done under Service Plus at the moment - quite a lot in fact. The big ticket items were agreed no problems. Couple of smaller things they're pushing back on - tiny in comparison. Strange!!

I'm having some stuff done under Service Plus at the moment - quite a lot in fact. The big ticket items were agreed no problems. Couple of smaller things they're pushing back on - tiny in comparison. Strange!!

It's as if they have the find *something* to piss you off about.

What is it with these guys?

Any chance you could let me know what items they've agreed to? I'm curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom