Investments down again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
:( So the Euro, Dollar et al seem in freefall. Pundits are predicting global financial implosion. Is this the time to bale out of the stockmarket and, if so, what does one do with the realised dosh?
We don't own shares directly but have quite a bit wrapped up in various bonds and ISA's. None of it would be subject to CGT.

If it is all going to fail, then it should be left alone to do just that.

Maybe then people may realise that this country needs to start producing something, instead of relying on the services and financial sectors that create nothing for this country to sell.

Term deposits in the bank in Australia are at 6.00% PA, or 5.75% on call. Interest rates show no signs of seriously slowing so these and quite possibly better rates are here to stay for a while. But, you have to buy them first of course & you will be exposed to selling risk if/when you return to GBP's.

If you fancy something a little more dynamic, try the Kiwi Dollar, but the interest rates are lower - about half that of Australia.

I have always been a firm believer in the ole' saying "a fool and his money are soon parted".

Having said that, I think anyone without at least $1,000,000,000.00, a few fortune 500 compans and or serious inside connections has absolutely NO BUSINESS in the stock market. These markets (ALL MARKETS AROUND THE WORLD) are controlled by the kind of folks I just mentioned above.

You might as well blow all your money gambling on Bingo, it sure as heck would end up paying out about the same.

But that's just me.

i'm glad i have amassed a small stockpile of gold and silver bullion.
as QE takes place and currency is devalued gold and silver is a proper store of wealth.
it has been for thousands of years.

Yes, it's good now that you have the dispensing machines, you can buy as much or as little as you like, easier to find the money than for Realestate, unless you want a mortgage........

Yes, it's good now that you have the dispensing machines, you can buy as much or as little as you like, easier to find the money than for Realestate, unless you want a mortgage........
do they have the dispensing machines in britian?

i thought it was only in germany and china(what a sign, the 2 most robust economies in the world have precious metal vending machines).

They're in Dubai too, and no doubt they will be along in the UK soon......

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think the only gold dispensing machine resides in Dubai.

But you know them people from China always have to copy whatever they see.

There is one at the Westfield shopping centre in west London but it only dispenses tiny bars of gold.

There is one at the Westfield shopping centre in west London but it only dispenses tiny bars of gold.

awesome. that's brilliant mate cheers.

Maybe then people may realise that this country needs to start producing something, instead of relying on the services and financial sectors that create nothing for this country to sell.

This is a common misconception, the UK is in the top 6 in the world in manufacturing.

We just don't manufacture in the same way we used to, most of it is high technology, Formula 1 for instance - components for space craft etc.

What we don't manufacture is linen, electrical goods, and all the mass market items that China does so well at.

Our problem isn't that we don't have a sound UK PLC it's the perception that we're all entitled to be wealthy middle class and there's no working class any more.

We've actually shot ourselves in the foot becasue we're too damn up ourselves to roll up our sleeves and get our hands dirty.

We have such an extensive degree of immigration as there are so many jobs your average Brit won't do. Take a look at the entire Hotel industry - it's run on immigrant labour. Are there no UK nationals available for those posts? Of course there are - but's it's beneath them isn't it.

Perception is the problem we have now, unless we change our perception of what we believe we're entitled to this mess is simply going to continue.

This is a common misconception, the UK is in the top 6 in the world in manufacturing.

Are you referring to manufacturing output? And if so, where did you find your information?

I'd be genuinely interested to know.

Are you referring to manufacturing output? And if so, where did you find your information?

i think he's right, it might even be top 5. it was on the bbc programme 'made in britain', it was a very good programme, changed the way i view manufacturing. the real money is in the idea.

It's based on value not volume, what we do manufacture is cutting edge and tends to be low volume high value products and services. Those items that really have no relevance to the every day person on the UK. Well not immediately.

i think he's right, it might even be top 5. it was on the bbc programme 'made in britain', it was a very good programme, changed the way i view manufacturing. the real money is in the idea.

That was where I heard it, it was quite an eye opener actually.

A good example is a little firm in Kenley Surrey, not far from where I live. An unassuming little company bsed in undergorund rooms dug into the side of an old chalk quarry.

They make all the super flat mirrors used in the hublle telescope and such like. Hundreds of millions of $ in business just hidden out of the way.

We have this idea that manufacturing means huge factories billowing out smoke and churnging out lots of items at the end of the production line. That's not where the money is now, we can't compete with China so we go to very high value, high tech low volume production.

Last edited:
That was where I heard it, it was quite an eye opener actually.

A good example is a little firm in Kenley Surrey, not far from where I live. An unassuming little company bsed in undergorund rooms dug into the side of an old chalk quarry.

They make all the super flat mirrors used in the hublle telescope and such like. Hundreds of millions of $ in business just hidden out of the way.

We have this idea tha manufacturing means huge factories billowing out smoke and churnging out lots of items at the end of the production line. That's not where the money is now, we can't compete with China so we go to very high value, high tech low volume production.

and the company from cambridge that invent components for smart phones, arm holdings. it would be worth investing in few of thise companies while the markets are in turmoil. i was very impressed with the wealth of talent in this country.

China this... China that... I am sick of China!

I come all the way over here to the UK and I hear the exact same things that are said in the U.S.A.

China is sooooo great... I mean look at all the quality stuff they make! Anyone care to take a ride on the Chinese high speed rail? Heck we got roller coasters over here in the states that go faster and have lasted decades LONGER than China's high speed rail!

China couldn't even "fix" a sandwich.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom