iOS data transfer to new phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Knowledgeable chaps.

I got Mrs JB a new iphone 6s this week to replace her 5s.
We need to set it up, transfer everything across so it's business as usual.
I don't do Apple, am an android-ite. She reckons that the wonderful iTunes won't transfer everything???
Anyone got any pointers about how to do it easily? She basically wants the new one to mirror the old one with content/apps (although an app she uses has now gone off the store too which is a real blow).
I should say that we're both cloud-averse if that's relevant.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Just sync the 5S with iTunes so everything is on there then plug the new phone in and sync that.

Just sync the 5S with iTunes so everything is on there then plug the new phone in and sync that.
Thats what I said but she reckons pics etc arent stored in itunes so they dont tranfer...?

She needs to open iPhoto and sync the phone.

Run a backup in iTunes. Restore the backup to the new phone. Job done

Nick Froome

Run a backup in iTunes. Restore the backup to the new phone. Job done

Nick Froome

+1

If you don't have iTunes, you can backup the old phone to iCloud, and then restore that back up from iCloud on the new phone.

This is from memory, but here's roughly how you do it:

To back up the old phone to iCloud, select: Settings > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage

When you turn on the new phone, sign in to iCloud (same username and password as iTunes) and it will prompt you to restore from iCloud back up.

If you're struggling, make an appointment at your local Apple Store and they'll sort it for you,they're usually very helpful :thumb:

Be careful when using iTunes, last time I used iTunes for a new phone transfer, it created a password on my account and backup, and since it felt the need to create a security lock which I don't know the password to, I'm forever locked out!

Only way I can do it is via iCloud. It will transfer everything on the phone, mirror image to the new one

A critical step when transferring from one phone to another via iTunes is that if you want security data (passwords, etc.) transferred then you must use the password protected backup option which encrypts the backup.

Do not, under any circumstances forget the password though, as you will never be able to restore from it!

For the avoidance of doubt, photos, sms messages, etc. will all be transferred from one handset to the other if you use the iTunes backup / restore process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom