ipad air AV ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alzieboy

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E350CDI Coupe
The Wifey bought me a iPad air 32gb for Xmas , big surprise, do I need to have a Anti Virus on it, uses would be Surfing the web , e-mails and of course mbclub , photos . Will be taking on Holidays.

Thanks

Short answer, no.

Long answer, also no, is that due to the walled garden approach adopted by Apple, with curated App Store, segregated app filesystem access and tightly controlled inter-process communications, a traditional virus cannot replicate under iOS. In addition, iOS features a variety of security measures to minimise risks (strongly layered security model, certificate signing of apps, and centrally distributed threat detection signatures).

So, antivirus systems do not exist on iOS as: a) there are no successful viruses out there, and b) the traditional AV approach wouldn't work anyway (no way of accessing the full filesystem).

Makes you wonder why more OSes don't adopt the same security systems, doesn't it?

Short answer, no.

Long answer, also no, is that due to the walled garden approach adopted by Apple, with curated App Store, segregated app filesystem access and tightly controlled inter-process communications, a traditional virus cannot replicate under iOS. In addition, iOS features a variety of security measures to minimise risks (strongly layered security model, certificate signing of apps, and centrally distributed threat detection signatures).

So, antivirus systems do not exist on iOS as: a) there are no successful viruses out there, and b) the traditional AV approach wouldn't work anyway (no way of accessing the full filesystem).

Makes you wonder why more OSes don't adopt the same security systems, doesn't it?

What You Need to Know About WireLurker | Jonathan Zdziarski's Domain :thumb:

WOW !! now I am confused :eek:

As stated above, antivirus not really needed on IOS at the moment. Things may change with groups actively targeting apple products more and more.

As stated above, antivirus not really needed on IOS at the moment. Things may change with groups actively targeting apple products more and more.

Okay thanks for your help, all I have to do now is get my Chrissy present away from the Wife :D

They are a straight from the box product. Turn it on and enjoy. Enjoy the overpriced Apple technology until you're drawn into buying another.

For the record, I have had many Apple devices and I'm still hooked. Never a problem, ever, ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom