Ipad Mini Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haughian24

Car
Clk55 /63 black series replica
Ive got a 2003 CLK55 with command 2.0 and Bose Sound System.

i decided i didnt want the old looking "Command 2.0" head unit anymore.

i looked into changing the head unit fro a double din nav unit but they still would of cost a few £££.
i looked at getting a facelift Mercedes unit but none caught my eye.

its all about personal choice, i liked the look of a Ipad mini as a head unit.
watching "Soundman" on YouTube definitely helped with my decision of starting the project.

As my original head unit used fiber optic to the Bose amplifier right there was the first hurdle.

originally i wanted to keep the original head unit and push it back more so i could run the Aux cable into it and keep the function of the steering wheel controls but i couldn't find enough room for the massive Command unit.

as there are no aux/RCA outs on the command unit, if i ever wanted to upgrade the speakers or change the amplifier etc.. i would have to break into a speaker wire and put in a small converter just to get a signal to an amp... way to much hassle.....

i decided to rip out the old Command 2.0, rip out the Cd changer, rip out the Tv tunner and rip out the bose amplifier and get rid of the mercedes optical signals.

to start.....

v68dox.jpg

i removed the plastic "Just pulls out"

2dwgsh.jpg

if you press this little button, you can move the shifter down with out power to the car

29zzk9x.jpg

unhook these two tabs and pull the ashtray out

24crz9x.jpg

two torx screws hold the center in place "give it a wiggle"
banana.gif

2z6ckmd.jpg

4 torx hold the head unit in place and about 2.8 billion plugs on the back

1zfo4ty.jpg

went and bought an Ipad

2rhwvu8.jpg

wrapped it up..
then made a fiber glass mold.

i didnt get any pictures of the fabrication.... but i can tell you its very long and tedious..

cut out a rough shape on the center console to fit it Ipad.
then glued in the fiber glass shell.
added magnets to the top edge.
done lots of filler work making all the edges..
then added a slight curve to one side so the Ipad will slide out.
drilled two holes for the charging point and aux.
painted the whole thing
then wrapped it in carbon wrap....

34rvqqd.jpg

this is nearly the finished product. only very few tweaks need doing.

i am using a Aux at the moment, that is glued in place and helps keep the Ipad from moving...

i have wrapped the other hole for the charging point at the moment until i need it,,, hopefully get a lightening digital converter with charging soon..

took it for a test drive doesn't move one bit...

i ran two RCA cables from the front to the boot. these are connected to the AUX from the Ipad also a power cable from the battery to the boot.

i am going to be running two "4 Channel" amps for all the speakers in the car. nothing special at the moment....

i chopped off the plug for the Bose amplifier. found out what each wire connects to...

I extended all the speaker wires so that the will connect to the amps when i put them in..

2rqgff7.jpg

2r2vkea.jpg

kai4uf.jpg

2i2085g.jpg

4snnuu.jpg

Tv Tuner.

thats it so far but Saturday night i will have got the Amp and wired them in.

Todo list

ive got to get a Bluetooth adapter that will control the volume on the ipad form the steering wheel.....

get a lightening converter with charging

upgrade some of the speakers in the car and sub-woofer...

find a Remote signal for the amplifier " shouldn't be to hard"

its all personal preference.. i like the look of it, its a portable unit that i can store anything on and use for other things and no expensive unit will be kept in the car.

its cost about the same amount as a decent head unit would of because no matter what i would of changed the Amplifier.

i looked into changing the head unit fro a double din nav unit but they still would of cost a few £££.

its all about personal choice, i liked the look of a Ipad mini as a head unit.
watching "Soundman" on YouTube definitely helped with my decision of starting the project.

As my original head unit used fiber optic to the Bose amplifier right there was the first hurdle.

originally i wanted to keep the original head unit and push it back more so i could run the Aux cable into it and keep the function of the steering wheel controls but i couldn't find enough room for the massive Command unit.

as there are no aux/RCA outs on the command unit, if i ever wanted to upgrade the speakers or change the amplifier etc.. i would have to break into a speaker wire and put in a small converter just to get a signal to an amp... way to much hassle.....

i decided to rip out the old Command 2.0, rip out the Cd changer, rip out the Tv tunner and rip out the bose amplifier and get rid of the mercedes optical signals.

to start.....

v68dox.jpg

i removed the plastic "Just pulls out"

2dwgsh.jpg

if you press this little button, you can move the shifter down with out power to the car

29zzk9x.jpg

unhook these two tabs and pull the ashtray out

24crz9x.jpg

two torx screws hold the center in place "give it a wiggle"
banana.gif

2z6ckmd.jpg

4 torx hold the head unit in place and about 2.8 billion plugs on the back

1zfo4ty.jpg

went and bought an Ipad

2rhwvu8.jpg

wrapped it up..
then made a fiber glass mold.

i didnt get any pictures of the fabrication.... but i can tell you its very long and tedious..

cut out a rough shape on the center console to fit it Ipad.
then glued in the fiber glass shell.
added magnets to the top edge.
done lots of filler work making all the edges..
then added a slight curve to one side so the Ipad will slide out.
drilled two holes for the charging point and aux.
painted the whole thing
then wrapped it in carbon wrap....

34rvqqd.jpg

this is nearly the finished product. only very few tweaks need doing.

i am using a Aux at the moment, that is glued in place and helps keep the Ipad from moving...

i have wrapped the other hole for the charging point at the moment until i need it,,, hopefully get a lightening digital converter with charging soon..

took it for a test drive doesn't move one bit...

i ran two RCA cables from the front to the boot. these are connected to the AUX from the Ipad also a power cable from the battery to the boot.

i am going to be running two "4 Channel" amps for all the speakers in the car. nothing special at the moment....

i chopped off the plug for the Bose amplifier. found out what each wire connects to...

I extended all the speaker wires so that the will connect to the amps when i put them in..

2rqgff7.jpg

2r2vkea.jpg

kai4uf.jpg

2i2085g.jpg

4snnuu.jpg

Tv Tuner.

thats it so far but Saturday night i will have got the Amp and wired them in.

Todo list

ive got to get a Bluetooth adapter that will control the volume on the ipad form the steering wheel.....

get a lightening converter with charging

upgrade some of the speakers in the car and sub-woofer...

find a Remote signal for the amplifier " shouldn't be to hard"

its all personal preference.. i like the look of it, its a portable unit that i can store anything on and use for other things and no expensive unit will be kept in the car.

its cost about the same amount as a decent head unit would of because no matter what i would of changed the Amplifier.

I could be interested in the tv tuner, if you are no longer using it, as it looks like the same comand unit as mine. Also the phone stuff, if you had any.
Was also interested to see how easy it was to get the paneling out as have been thinking about wrapping it.

Neil

Superb idea well executed. Very innovative. I like how it looks too. :thumb:

Last edited:
I could be interested in the tv tuner, if you are no longer using it, as it looks like the same comand unit as mine. Also the phone stuff, if you had any.
Was also interested to see how easy it was to get the paneling out as have been thinking about wrapping it.

Neil

I removed the phone stuff a while back and threw it away, with regards to the tuner, it wouldn't be much use as it's an analog tuner and every things gone over to digital so It can't pick up any channels...

Looks great, was placing iPad so that the Home button is on the passenger side deliberate - i.e. less tempting to touch? ;))

Looks great, was placing iPad so that the Home button is on the passenger side deliberate - i.e. less tempting to touch? ;))

Haha well when your arm is on the arm rest either side is easy to reach. But that's the easiest way to mount the iPad due to the magnetic strip only being on one side of the ipad

I removed the phone stuff a while back and threw it away, with regards to the tuner, it wouldn't be much use as it's an analog tuner and every things gone over to digital so It can't pick up any channels...

I would still be interested in "playing" with it. Take it apart, see if I can convert it etc. Like you, I like a challenge.
What do you want for it, and could you post it, or are you based anywhere down south, Sussex? Kent? etc

Neil

I would still be interested in "playing" with it. Take it apart, see if I can convert it etc. Like you, I like a challenge.
What do you want for it, and could you post it, or are you based anywhere down south, Sussex? Kent? etc

Neil

well seeing as i dont use it, £50 posted?
it comes without wires if you want the wires then that will be another week or two as they are still in the car.

Thats an Example of how much they are on ebay
Mercedes s Klasse Becker TV Analog Tuner | eBay

well seeing as i dont use it, £50 posted?
it comes without wires if you want the wires then that will be another week or two as they are still in the car.

Thats an Example of how much they are on ebay
Mercedes s Klasse Becker TV Analog Tuner | eBay

Bought and paid for on ebay. Not sure what wires are already in the car, so please keep them as may need them as well. I assume it shares the aerial connections with the stereo?

Neil

Bought and paid for on ebay. Not sure what wires are already in the car, so please keep them as may need them as well. I assume it shares the aerial connections with the stereo?

Neil

i will hopefully send it tomorrow or either first thing Monday, i will keep the wires for now let me know if you need them in the future.

i will hopefully send it tomorrow or either first thing Monday, i will keep the wires for now let me know if you need them in the future.

If you take any of the wires etc out this weekend, then please include them, also any connectors etc. I doubt I will have time to even look at that part of the car this weekend, as maybe going to a meet in Kent, plus have a million other jobs to do. Sunday, hopefully, I may get a chance to look, unless the meet moves.

Neil

Is it securely fastened in place? Thieves would have a party here if it a an easy rip out type of thing

That is a seriously innovative idea, and beautifully installed!

It's very "21st century"!! Great job :)

For those wanting a more conventional route I can recommend the Alpine W928R with its 8" touch screen, music, DVD, and nav, and 4 x 50 watt amp.

SL35004_zps29effbbd.jpg

Cheers,
Robert

Is it securely fastened in place? Thieves would have a party here if it a an easy rip out type of thing

I take it out every night, it slides into place and sits on magnets so I'm not to worried about thieves

I'm looking at doing something similar, did you keep the steering wheel volume controls? If so, how?

Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom