iPad screen advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

OK, being the man of the house and ALWAYS on at my lovely wife a daughter with advice like- 'don't do this' & 'don't do that' & 'be careful you don't scratch' etc etc etc.

Well, it's ME that's dropped to bl00dy iPad and cracked the screen. :doh:

It still works 100% and TBH when in use you can barely see the crack. However when the iPad is not in use it looks awful. The crack runs diagonally across 80% of the screen.

A few questions:

1. Is it worth getting replaced?
2. How much should I expect to pay?
3. Should I use an online service (send it off somewhere and they send it back)
4. If the above is it a concern that it may have personal data on it? (PayPal etc)
5. Am I able to replace it myself?
6. Am a wasting my time?

Thanks for any (useful) comments. :thumb:

Looking forward to some abusive 'you silly kn*b head' comments too. :D

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
5. Yes, you're able to do it yourself.

Screen from ebay comes with sucking pad(s) and screwdrivers.
It should take you no more than 1h to do the job.
YouTube is your friend :thumb:

My daughter has cracked her ipad mini twice. The first time it was dropped from our 1st floor balcony into the street below.
I used a company from EBay , sent it off and it came back several days later repaired. The job was very well done and I have a happy daughter. I was very impressed.
Price was about 40 quid and as my daughter was only 8 at the time she never had any sensitive stuff on it.

Ensure it's backed up to iCloud, buy a new one and restore data to it. Nice new shiny kit without any faff.

Sell old iPad for spares to ebay tard's for stupid money. Job done.. :D

Really :dk:

I'm a builder with fat fingers and a touch like a baby elephant.

I'll look at the you tube stuff first and see what's involved.

Cheers.

I looked at that option but with big plumbers fingers and a very low attention span I decided against it.

To be honest I find it therapeutic.
Bit of patience and confidence.
In the end it's only a bit of scrap and plastic

I've done a few iPads and several iPhones, the iPads are much easier as there's less in them and it's all much bigger. The screen can be a faff to remove, as it's bonded on, you need to get it really hot with a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the glue, but that's the hardest part.

It'll just be the front glass you need + digitiser. The screen itself will be undamaged, if you're careful about removing the front glass.

No no no no!

If you fancy having a go, like above it is very easy, you can buy the parts cheaper on Amazon and save a fair amount. Follow a YouTube video (strictly) and jobs a good'un

Failing that, take it to any phone repairer mate, try a brand/franchise one (not Apple) rather than the guy on the high st that also fixes watches. Shouldn't cost more than £40 including parts to be repaired, if DIY around £15 and most parts come with the tools you need

OK, time to confess. I removed the iPad screen protector today and yes, you guessed it.

The crack was in the Tempered glass protector, not the iPad screen :wallbash:

The reason I thought it was the iPad screen was that the crack was smooth to touch. Great news either way. Just ordered a new screen protector.

What a total fool I am. :doh:

Ant.

OK, time to confess. I removed the iPad screen protector today and yes, you guessed it.

That's a result! Those glass protectors are the business - Mrs BTB was messing about in my workshop and managed to dislodge a small pry bar which fell about 4' onto my mobile phone screen, point first. Looked like it had been shot but the screen underneath the glass protector was still perfect :thumb:

The reason I thought it was the iPad screen was that the crack was smooth to touch. Great news either way. Just ordered a new screen protector.

What a total fool I am. :doh:

Ant.

You have now qualified as a screen repair technician:thumb:

Glad it was that... older ipads are not the best to replace as you have to use hairdryer to melt the glue. Newer ones are easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom