iPad vs Asus touchscreen netbook??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

MB Enthusiast
Car
2000 SL500, 2005 Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel
'Afternoon.

IT advice needed as follows:

Wanting to buy something for general use, 95% at home where I have wireless broadband.
Me and wife both work full time and we have a full time nanny who looks after the kids (7 and 4 - both already using laptops to differing extents, and astonishingly "gadget literate").
We run the household diary on Google Calendar, so that wife and I can both have access to it via the web from the office.

So, the idea is, we buy a netbook/iPad that can sit in the kitchen and give us constant access to Google and the web generally at all times, plus probably some light spreadsheet and letter writing usage, and storing/viewing photos and home video.
It doesn't need to be mega powerful or have mega battery life and the number one priority is to be easy/intuitive to use.

I was thinking of getting an iPad (when available) as that seems to tick all the boxes but I'm also looking at netbooks and have come across this:

Asus T91mt which runs Windows 7 and is touchscreen.
Asus T91MT

Can someone advise whether the Asus would be a good choice, or suggest a good alternative?

Thanks
Nick

I would personally go for a Ipad because imo the OS would perform a lot better than window's 7. Also if im correct the Ipad will be faster (but this is down to specs) browsing speed would also be better and 64gb memory is a lot of you only need it for browsing etc, but dont forget the Ipad looks cooler :d

wak

Is it right that the iPad won't have Flash and therefore viewing alot of websites will be difficult (and I'm not talking about the "adult" ones !!!)?
That puts me off the iPad a bit.........

As far as I personally know Flash will not work on the Ipad straight out of the box, put at some point they will work later on because the OS is the same as Ipod Touch and Iphone with minor modifications and Ipod Touch does support flash.

Wak

The iPad can not multi task.

You have to close down the application in order to run another :eek:

There are a number of similar multi-touch machines about to hit the market so my advice would be to not be an early adopter and hold off for a few months to see what becomes the market leader.

I think the iPad is going to be a big hulk of fail imho.

Isn't Apple bringing out OS 4.0 for the iPhone and iPad that will support multitasking?

As far as I personally know Flash will not work on the Ipad straight out of the box, put at some point they will work later on because the OS is the same as Ipod Touch and Iphone with minor modifications and Ipod Touch does support flash.

Wak
Does it? That's news to me. How do you download flash? Or was that a typo as mine doesn't.

Isn't Apple bringing out OS 4.0 for the iPhone and iPad that will support multitasking?

I'd fully expect this to happen and be announced during the next iPhone update, which is June/July every year.

I'm sure we will start hearing news over the next month or two.

Personally, if it was my own money i'd go for an iPad, especially if your familiar with Apple software.

A netbook is essentially a rubbish laptop imo

I'd fully expect this to happen and be announced during the next iPhone update, which is June/July every year.

I'm sure we will start hearing news over the next month or two.

Personally, if it was my own money i'd go for an iPad, especially if your familiar with Apple software.

A netbook is essentially a rubbish laptop imo

Agree with that so much!

If you like apple stuff you would have already bought the iPad I guess....

No multitask
no usb
expensive

maybe the iPad S will be the one to go for...

I love my Itouch and want the same ease of use in something bigger.
I can sacrifice alot of what "proper" laptops will do for the ease of use (and instant boot up).
Same for netbooks - I don't want/need mega laptop spec. I need something small and convenient to use.
Thanks for the input though, even though there doesn't seem to be much consensus of opinion!!

If iPad was available today I would probably buy one..........but not sure I can wait.
On the other hand, I like the Asus, but there is already an updated model waiting in the wings for release in a few months......why should I pay full price for something that is virtually "old" already???

I hate IT stuff - far too complicated.

^ as soon as the iPad comes out a new model will be on the cards, almost all electronic stuff is out of date as soon as you buy it.

I love my Itouch and want the same ease of use in something bigger.
I can sacrifice alot of what "proper" laptops will do for the ease of use (and instant boot up).
Same for netbooks - I don't want/need mega laptop spec. I need something small and convenient to use.
Thanks for the input though, even though there doesn't seem to be much consensus of opinion!!

If iPad was available today I would probably buy one..........but not sure I can wait.
On the other hand, I like the Asus, but there is already an updated model waiting in the wings for release in a few months......why should I pay full price for something that is virtually "old" already???

I hate IT stuff - far too complicated.

IF you'r not fussed about the specs etc than go for the Ipad as it does fit your desired need's, and it is way more faster than a netbook and more reliable aswell. A210AMG also has a point aswell, all electronic's are outdated when released when I purchased my imac 6 months later a new model was available with a better spec for the same amount of money!. :doh:

Wak

IF you'r not fussed about the specs etc than go for the Ipad as it does fit your desired need's, and it is way more faster than a netbook and more reliable aswell. A210AMG also has a point aswell, all electronic's are outdated when released when I purchased my imac 6 months later a new model was available with a better spec for the same amount of money!. :doh:

Wak

You're right - except for lack of Flash.............?

no offense, but thats a silly comment. how can it be a flop, before it's even released?

My job puts me quite close to apples/macs, and what could have been a product that brought tablet PCs into the public light has proved (now that details are released) to be "nothing to write home about".

I was looking forward to apple telling the world how they had a product which would finally ring the tablet computer into every day use. It is my opinion, that the iPad will not do so.

Based on my quite high expectations on the specs, and the massive difference - it's a flop in my eyes... even if they haven't released it. You don't need to touch the liquid in your glass to know that its wet. Based on previous experience, and the available data, you can (especially if you happen to spend 10+ hours a day in close contact with similar items) infer future trends.

M. (ACSA)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom