iPad vs Asus touchscreen netbook??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
no offense, but thats a silly comment. how can it be a flop, before it's even released?

I think you need to appreciate what the competitors have got around the corner to understand what Spinal is saying. Every single one of them will be anouncing newer faster competing products over the next few weeks now intel have released their new chipsets.

Any computer other than a perhaps a smartphone that can't multitask is frankly living in the dark ages prior to OS2-Warp.

Sure, the iPhone interface is nice on a phone ( I really like iPhones) but on a tablet, I think you need a great deal more.

The media response to the iPad announcement made it very clear that they didnt think it deserved such a fanfare. Even the normally outspoken fanboys and "jEsusphoners" were unusually quiet.

My job puts me quite close to apples/macs, and what could have been a product that brought tablet PCs into the public light has proved (now that details are released) to be "nothing to write home about".

I was looking forward to apple telling the world how they had a product which would finally ring the tablet computer into every day use. It is my opinion, that the iPad will not do so.

Based on my quite high expectations on the specs, and the massive difference - it's a flop in my eyes... even if they haven't released it. You don't need to touch the liquid in your glass to know that its wet. Based on previous experience, and the available data, you can (especially if you happen to spend 10+ hours a day in close contact with similar items) infer future trends.

M. (ACSA)

Out of interest, what should it have had......and why didn't they give it the spec that you/the market wanted? To stick to a price point in the knowledge that they will sell millions of them regardless?

Out of interest, what should it have had......and why didn't they give it the spec that you/the market wanted? To stick to a price point in the knowledge that they will sell millions of them regardless?

I might be speaking out of turn, but don't Apple have a bit of a track record in releasing "innovative" products that are actually a bit short on expectation, selling millions of them, then releasing again 6 months down the line knowing that the same leemings will buy the product again?

I'm aware that this is a very cynical view, and could probably be applied to every manufacturer of electronica, but Apple seem to be the masters of this.

I might be speaking out of turn, but don't Apple have a bit of a track record in releasing "innovative" products that are actually a bit short on expectation, selling millions of them, then releasing again 6 months down the line knowing that the same leemings will buy the product again?

I'm aware that this is a very cynical view, and could probably be applied to every manufacturer of electronica, but Apple seem to be the masters of this.

Dont most people buy apple products because of the app store etc like with ipod touch's the app store was a brilliant idea and it still is one of a kind. and there is a app for nearly anything making life much easier instead of carrying numerous things you just have to carry a iphone/ ipod touch/ and soon to be ipad

wakas

I honestly think apple will release flash at a later point round july times through a update.

wakas

Steve Jobs: Flash would bring iPad battery life down to 1.5 hours

By Gerald Lynchon February 19, 2010 Comments (0)

jobs%20ipad.jpg
It's well known that Steve Jobs isn't a fan of Adobe's Flash, but a recent meeting with Wall Street Journal executives has brought the Apple / Adobe slagging match to a whole new level.
Jobs is currently on a media tour, demoing the iPad in an attempt to get more content on board and ready for the iPad's launch. One such stop off was at the WSJ, whose website, like many other news sites, is pretty Flash-intensive.
When asked by the WSJ why Flash was omitted from the iPad, Jobs reportedly ripped into the software. Jobs cited Flash's numerous "security holes" and how it acts as a "CPU Hog", branding the software as a dying "old technology" and claiming that the H.264 codec would be far more efficient on the iPad and just as simple to produce content with.
He even went as far as to say that using Flash on the iPad would bring battery life down from 10 hours to just 1.5 hours.

Steve Jobs: Flash would bring iPad battery life down to 1.5 hours

By Gerald Lynchon February 19, 2010 Comments (0)

jobs%20ipad.jpg
It's well known that Steve Jobs isn't a fan of Adobe's Flash, but a recent meeting with Wall Street Journal executives has brought the Apple / Adobe slagging match to a whole new level.
Jobs is currently on a media tour, demoing the iPad in an attempt to get more content on board and ready for the iPad's launch. One such stop off was at the WSJ, whose website, like many other news sites, is pretty Flash-intensive.
When asked by the WSJ why Flash was omitted from the iPad, Jobs reportedly ripped into the software. Jobs cited Flash's numerous "security holes" and how it acts as a "CPU Hog", branding the software as a dying "old technology" and claiming that the H.264 codec would be far more efficient on the iPad and just as simple to produce content with.
He even went as far as to say that using Flash on the iPad would bring battery life down from 10 hours to just 1.5 hours.

I might of been wrong regarding the flash then lol, but I think there will be ways around this like with the ipod touch and iphone you can so far view flash youtube videos and mp3's on websites. and maybe apple are creating their on flash viewer? they are currently building their 1billion dollar data center so maybe some time after they move into their than there would be news ? (just my idea)

Wakas

IF you'r not fussed about the specs etc than go for the Ipad as it does fit your desired need's, and it is way more faster than a netbook and more reliable as well.

How on earth can you make such a statement about a product that isn't yet released?

A210AMG also has a point aswell, all electronic's are outdated when released when I purchased my imac 6 months later a new model was available with a better spec for the same amount of money!.

In the last decade change has been incremental - nothing new or sensational. So the stuff is only obsolete in the sense that the market is offering something 'new and improved'. My three year old Macbook still works fine. There have been something like four or five product increments in that time.

The Newton and iPhone server as warnings as to how things might go with the iPad. In the case of the Newton it was widely publicised, then ridiculed, then buried. The iPhone OTOH represents a nexus of various commodity technologies coming together (Apple are good at that) but the first version wasn't that good.

I wouldn't rush at the iPad as yet. It's not a technological breakthrough. And it remains to be seen as to how worthwhile it is. I'd sit back and let other people spend their (or their parents') hard earned on and work out the real value of it for at least six months before making a decision.

Apple stuffs are overpriced to line shareholders and Steve Job pocket.

As Michael said, Steve should hand back all the shareholders money and close it down.

Buy a Dell mini 10 at £199 with Ubuntu and webcam. If you wish to line Bill Gate pocket further, spend a little more at £249 with Win 7.:thumb:

All the others Lenovo, Asus, HP etc are rubbish.

Apple stuffs are good but overpriced and technologically behind(several years) IBM compatible.

It is rumored to be out this up coming december which a new face lift model of the Iphone aswell.

wakas

You mean forthcoming?

I for one will buy an ipad not least because every apple product I have had does exactly what I want from it. Its stylish, funky, well made, functional and most importantly doesnt have any Microsoft stuff anywhere to be seen.

Apple make what the public want to buy. This is evidenced by the massive success that is the iphone. no-one can blame them for just being very good at figuring out the worldwide public wanted the iphone and then making it!.

As I said earlier, there's a whole load of multitouch tablet style devices on the way. Some of the ones running Android look very interesting indeed.

I'd hold fire on purchasing anything for 4 months at least.

You mean forthcoming?

I for one will buy an ipad not least because every apple product I have had does exactly what I want from it. Its stylish, funky, well made, functional and most importantly doesnt have any Microsoft stuff anywhere to be seen.

Apple make what the public want to buy. This is evidenced by the massive success that is the iphone. no-one can blame them for just being very good at figuring out the worldwide public wanted the iphone and then making it!.

Alfie you hit the nail on the head for people like me - fairly gadget savvy but totally put off by experts telling me about things like H264 codecs (whatever they are).

Apple seem to be the very best at producing things that are easy to use and do what people want.

I don't care about codecs, Android or Steve Jobs. But I do know that when I am 2 minutes from walking out of the door in the morning to go to work, I can press a button on my iTouch and download a podcast in seconds via my home wifi and then listen to it on the train.
I don't have to wait 2 or 3 minutes to boot it up, and then go through several screens and options to get what I want.
That's why I'll probably buy an iPad.

Dont most people buy apple products because of the app store etc like with ipod touch's the app store was a brilliant idea and it still is one of a kind. and there is a app for nearly anything making life much easier instead of carrying numerous things you just have to carry a iphone/ ipod touch/ and soon to be ipad

wakas

I actually think that to use something designed for purpose is much better tha trying to cram everything into what then becomes a compromised single device - which also becomes a single point of failure.

I may be labelled a luddite but I also refuse to allow a marketing company to dictate my life. I don't need 63,000 songs on an mp3 player - I load up what I want to listen to. I rarely use public transport, and find a book quite an efficient (and cheap) way of passing the time. I have a camera and a spirit level. I've yet to see an app that let's me play a strat through a cracked up Mesa/Boogie. I have friends that I speak with regularly.

Little thought goes into the implications of new products, especially when targeted at new generations of buyers. No-one ever seems to ask "why" any more, just swallows the hook and hands over the plastic.

Now where's my Mr Grumpy t-shirt......

Alot of people seem to be missing the point with Apple products. I'm not very computer literate, i probably use about 10% of the functions that my MacBook can do, but i can take a MacBook out of it's box when new and be on the net without having to resort to the manual every 5 mins and without worrying that Windows is going to implode. Apple fans like Apple products because generally they do 90% of what we want/need without any fuss; it really is that simple.

Alot of people seem to be missing the point with Apple products. I'm not very computer literate, i probably use about 10% of the functions that my MacBook can do, but i can take a MacBook out of it's box when new and be on the net without having to resort to the manual every 5 mins and without worrying that Windows is going to implode. Apple fans like Apple products because generally they do 90% of what we want/need without any fuss; it really is that simple.

Agree with you their its the same case with my macbook.

My gadget radar was alerted by the iPad launch, and I'll definitely mosey down to the Apple store and have a look when it comes out. I can't see me buying in from what I've read so far, though.

I like Apple stuff - I have a couple of Macs at home and until recently used a Mac mini as my daily driver. It's quiet, low power and OS X is pretty to look at and stable.

The mini is 5 years old now, though, and starting to suffer in the performance stakes, although TBH it was never a ball of fire to begin with. But now it stutters with streaming video playback and generally feels like an old computer, which it is.

No problem, thinks I, it's a been great little machine and I'm a happy customer, I'll just buy a new one. Which is where the problems arise.

I bought the mini when it first came on the market and Apple were keen to get people to buy into the platform. Although it was just a box - no monitor, keyboard or mouse, it was attractively cheap - I paid £329 IIRC, when a half-reasonable desktop PC was around £500 at the time.

Trouble is, when I went to look at a new mini, they start at the wrong side of £500 now, with the particular spec I wanted being the thick end of £700. Not such an entry level product any more, and double what I paid for the first one. Of course, there's a good reason for this - why market the Mini at sub-£500 where it will steal sales from the shiny new iPad that Apple have spent $$$$ developing. Slot in the iPad in the old Mini's marketing slot and push the rest upwards. Gin and dividends all round.

I understand the reasons for all this - enhancing shareholder value is what companies are in business for - but I've got to the stage in life now where I realise that this is what happens, and don't feel the need to have the latest gadget simply because it's out there. I'll buy it if I think I can justify the cost, or because it's simply too good to resist. Somehow, I think the iPad isn't going to work on either level.

Cheers,

Gaz

gadget radar

There should be a shorter word for that, like... er... gradar, or, gaydar...

iPad is a device looking for an application, currently other than a survey tool or basic notet taking device I can't think of one, but even then I can't see one standing up to a full days door-to-door sales or other use, or being robust enough to last in a commercial environment. The cap touch screen and usual apple disdain for those who may want to carry a spare battery will also work against it.

I think it's a great product but of very little use, a netbook would be better for everyday use, the iPhone may have the best mobile browser but if it's gonna be the size of a proper laptop why not give it a proper OS and proper browser and applications.

reread the thread so post irrelevent!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom