iPad2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As far as I can tell AirPrint Activator only allows printing from the iPad2 when the host Mac computer is on line. I wanted to send a page from the iPad2 via WiFi to the router then to any printer without needing another Computer.

PrintDirect works well with many printers. I use it for my ipad1 to my all in one Brother printer. It's a paid app though...

PrintDirect works well with many printers. I use it for my ipad1 to my all in one Brother printer. It's a paid app though...

Yes but would it work without having to turn on my iMac as well?

My iMac is connected to the router by ethernet cable as is my Dell printer, I can print from my Dell laptop via WiFi without having the iMac turned on. That is what I was hoping the iPad2 would be capable of doing. Had I realised Apple would introduce a completely new print language and system just to be different, I would not have bought the iPad2.

Yes but would it work without having to turn on my iMac as well? A quick check answers my question, PrintDirect only prints via a Mac or PC.

My iMac is connected to the router by ethernet cable as is my Dell printer, I can print from my Dell laptop via WiFi without having the iMac turned on. That is what I was hoping the iPad2 would be capable of doing. Had I realised Apple would introduce a completely new print language and system just to be different, I would not have bought the iPad2.

Yes but would it work without having to turn on my iMac as well? A quick check answers my question, PrintDirect only prints via a Mac or PC.

No I print directly to the printer with no client computer needed. It does also support a client computer if it can't communicate directly with you particular printer.

I had to go through all the protocols to get mine to work but works a treat now.

No I print directly to the printer with no client computer needed. It does also support a client computer if it can't communicate directly with you particular printer.

I had to go through all the protocols to get mine to work but works a treat now.

That is very interesting Michael, it sounds like the ideal answer to me. Your point about having to go through all the protocols sounds frightening, so I expect another long learning curve once I have overcome my fear of making a dogs diner of the whole thing.

Thanks for letting me know it is possible.

if you have a newish HP printer; the latest firmware update should enable AirPrint.
just bought this:

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Multi-Function-Printers/buy-HP-Photosmart-Premium-with-fax-e-AI-Multi-Function-Printer/662348?cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Feed-_-_Multi_Function_Printers-_-662348_HP_Photosmart_Premium_with_fax_e-AI&_$ja=tsid:8360%7Ccc:%7Cprd:photosmart+Premium+with+fax+e-AI%7Ccat:_Multi_Function_Printers

absolutely fabulous. everything works straight out of the box; airplay and all. my 3 iPhones, 1 iPad & 2 macbook pros all print without any other application

costs 240 odd quid on the apple store; 99 quid at comet ;-)

It's not difficult to setup - it will detect and work with most common wireless printers, just that mine was a bit too new and a unusual model. If you're printer's a common make and model it'll work with no real input from you.

The trial app is free - if that works you're good to go. 6.99 for the full version. To be honest though since I bought it I print less! Worth it for 7 quid? I think so but worth reading reviews - it's a separate app that opens what ever you want to print. In an ideal world I'd like it to add a print button to the existing apps rather than having to load the printed matter in it. But....cheap and it works and no new printer needed!

You can't and won't **** it up- I can include some screenshots of mine if that helps?

It's not difficult to setup - it will detect and work with most common wireless printers, just that mine was a bit too new and a unusual model. If you're printer's a common make and model it'll work with no real input from you.

The trial app is free - if that works you're good to go. 6.99 for the full version. To be honest though since I bought it I print less! Worth it for 7 quid? I think so but worth reading reviews - it's a separate app that opens what ever you want to print. In an ideal world I'd like it to add a print button to the existing apps rather than having to load the printed matter in it. But....cheap and it works and no new printer needed!

You can't and won't **** it up- I can include some screenshots of mine if that helps?

Thanks Micheal, I downloaded the trial version and managed to print from the iPad2. Just once, but only after turning the firewall off on the iMac. The iMac was on and the app was loaded onto it not the iPad2.

Can I download the paid version onto the iPad2 and then switch the iMac's firewall back on?

I was quite chuffed when I actually managed to print from the iPad2 even if it was via my iMac, so things are moving in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom