iPad2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldcro

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
Yesterday I received an iPad2 and spent 4 hours downloading the latest OS and another 4 hours getting an internet connection. A hour later I lost the internet connection, and had no idea how or why.

However today after only 2 hours I managed to get the internet connection back (don't ask me how as I've no idea). While I'm classing as a monumental success has highlighted another fault/problem/pain in the butt discovery.

I can save music and pictures, but cannot find a way of saving a downloaded file. I downloaded the iPad2 manual but have been unable to discover how to save it for future reference. Surely it must be possible but the manual index has no mention of the words "File" or "Save" to point me in the right direction.

So can anyone please tell me either how to save a file or that downloads cannot be saved. Here's where I'm hoping for a click here and the file is saved type reply.

Thanks

oldcro

Is the manual in the library of the iBooks app ?

if i want to save a file (pdf drawing etc for example) i choose the option 'open in ibooks'. then its saved there for the future...

your internet must be really slow to have taken so long for downloading the software update?...

... macs and ipads and all things apple (as i'm sure you probably already know) work with a slightly different logic flow... so somethings one is used to doing a certain way on window products might seem different and harder (till one knows how) to do on apple products.
good thing is a quick google usually shows up with lots of knowledgable answers.
have you discovered being able to share your iTunes library across multiple devices? thats quite cool ;-)

The User Guide is preinstalled under Bookmarks. Open Safari then Bookmarks.

Last edited:
if i want to save a file (pdf drawing etc for example) i choose the option 'open in ibooks'. then its saved there for the future...

your internet must be really slow to have taken so long for downloading the software update?...

Will try the ibooks option, thanks.

Yes my not very broad band is slow, the update to Lion OS for the iMac took over 19 hours.:eek:

I have had a great deal of difficulty keeping my wife's iPad2 in contact with our router - the connection goes on and off and on and off. Really frustrating as every other device in our house connects immediately and stays connected.

I googled it and (suuuurprise, suuurprise!) it's an Apple "feature" (I **hate** Apple and if it wasn't that Cut the Rope was so good on the iPad I would have nothing to do with the thing). Apparently other Apple devices also struggle to connect to routers that every other device has no problem with.

The closest I found to a fix is to turn off multiple wireless band support (in your router, where it says which bands it is supporting - usually, "b, g" just select support for "g". This improved things a little.

I cannot vouch for the validity of any of this fix as it is only what I read on the internet, but there is no harm trying (who uses "b" anyway?).

Have you tried trawling iPad Forums ?

Some users seem to have similar experiences ranging from an os bug to magnetic cases and security settings ( wep ) causing connection problems.

FWIW I have a Netgear router and iPad2 os is 4.3.3. with no issues. Might be worth contacting Apple Support perhaps.

Last edited:
Have you tried trawling iPad Forums ?

Some users seem to have similar experiences ranging from an os bug to magnetic cases and security settings ( wep ) causing connection problems.

FWIW I have a Netgear router and iPad2 os is 4.3.3. with no issues. Might be worth contacting Apple Support perhaps.

Thanks Parrotman I seem to have sorted out my connection problems as I am typing this reply. From the iPad. I now realise I was using my Local network password, when the iPad needed the routers password.

for those of you who experience network dropouts on the iPad;
1. turn up the brightness
2. turn off wi-fi
3. turn back on
4. choose network.
5. click 'renew lease'

for those of you who experience network dropouts on the iPad;
1. turn up the brightness
2. turn off wi-fi
3. turn back on
4. choose network.
5. click 'renew lease'

Thanks for the tip - but what has brightness of the screen got to do with it? (I am not saying that it is not relevent to fixing the wireless - heaven knows, I wouldn't be surprised if the fix involved circling the room thre times and then quoting the lyrics of American Pie backwards considering that the thing is made by Apple).

Thanks for the tip - but what has brightness of the screen got to do with it? (I am not saying that it is not relevent to fixing the wireless - heaven knows, I wouldn't be surprised if the fix involved circling the room thre times and then quoting the lyrics of American Pie backwards considering that the thing is made by Apple).

lol i'm guessing it increases the power somehow and thereby prevents the internet from dropping?...
... read about it on the forums. apparently it happens when you are in a weak wi fi area (at max range/ doors shut/ intervening walls etc )and also on some routers...

but hey, if it works; it's as good as a cure! :)

So after a frustrating few days the iPad2 is working fine, and does what it says on the tin so to speak.

Not a fault, but an annoyance is the limited ability to print anything. Only "AirPrint" printers catered for which rules out 99.9999% of all printers. Typical of Apple with their brilliant designs and no thought for the customers needs.

I've seen a few Apps which allow WiFi printing but not sure which is best, my Dell laptop prints wirelessly via the router/ethernet/laser printer route. The App which allows the iPad2 to do the same as easily is next on my list.

Mac's are built by computer geeks for computer geeks.
PC's are built by computer geeks for everyone.

My wife's iPad 2 has started dropping wifi connection and it's driving her mad and of course it's my fault for buying her it. :)

Seems to be a common fault as there's lots of forums reporting same issue. Have tried all fixes and none seem to work.

I have therefore restored via iTunes factory settings. Fingers crossed this works. :mad:

So after a frustrating few days the iPad2 is working fine, and does what it says on the tin so to speak.

Not a fault, but an annoyance is the limited ability to print anything. Only "AirPrint" printers catered for which rules out 99.9999% of all printers. Typical of Apple with their brilliant designs and no thought for the customers needs.

I've seen a few Apps which allow WiFi printing but not sure which is best, my Dell laptop prints wirelessly via the router/ethernet/laser printer route. The App which allows the iPad2 to do the same as easily is next on my list.

Mac's are built by computer geeks for computer geeks.
PC's are built by computer geeks for everyone.

Google "AirPrint Activator", I have it running on my MAC, which has my wired printer connected to it, and Airprinting from IPAD 2 now works seamlessly (OK MAC has to be on but that is OK)

There is I believe a Windows version if you are of that persuasion.

Google "AirPrint Activator", I have it running on my MAC, which has my wired printer connected to it, and Airprinting from IPAD 2 now works seamlessly (OK MAC has to be on but that is OK)

Yes I saw that, but having to turn the iMac on sort of defeats the object as I could have used the iMac in the first place. My Dell laptop prints via WiFi no problem, it's just a pain that the iPad cannot do this simple task. I thought of getting an "AirPrint" printer but the options available are extremely limited.

Thanks for the input but sadly not what I was hoping for.

On your wireless router set-up, there will be something like 'wireless station access list' within the wireless settings pane. Here, you need to enter the MAC Address of the iPad (don't forget to press 'enter/apply').

This will solve your problem.

On your wireless router set-up, there will be something like 'wireless station access list' within the wireless settings pane. Here, you need to enter the MAC Address of the iPad (don't forget to press 'enter/apply').

This will solve your problem.

Thanks :thumb: I will try that when we return from France - but at the moment the factory reset seems to be working..

I went to the trouble of buying an HP ePrint Photosmart specifically for our Apple devices. The system works OK but the HP is not a patch on the old Canon I had.
I'll try the procedure 'gbjeppm' advises above, thanks

Will this work even if iMac goes into hibernation ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom