iPaq Useful or Gadget gimmick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
iPaq

I use an iPaq and think that it is pretty good. A word of warning however, the Pocket Microsoft has issues with synchronising with Netscape and before my employer changed back to Outlook synching was a real bind ( convert / export files etc).

I need to talk with US, all over Europe, Russia, Israel etc etc and there is a really neat program that shows me current time in the main cities I contact. Think Pocketwindows may have neater programs than say Palm.

It is a time saver - previously if I needed a phone no. or confirm calls/meetings I had to boot up laptop if not in office, now can use iPaq.

Chess game can help on trains or waiting at airport, have photographs of my wife and girls , synch with email/calendar at work.

Still a toy tho...:)

Thought I'd post a pic of what browsing MBclub on the Blackberry looks like using GPRS. All data is inclusive on a Blackberry so you can send and recieve as much as you like without any extra costs. You can see from the shot that I was using a Croatian network provider at the time. Obviously with such a small screen, signature sizes can be a bit of an issue.....

image001.jpg

Last edited:
In a similar vein to Spike... I've browsed this forum using my Nokia 7650 via GPRS, although viewable, sending a post is too much hassle, but I viewed my recent Birthday greetings this way as I was without PC internet access :D

S.

I got an old Ipaq. I don't use it.

I use a Sony Ericsson t610, which does appontments, To Do lists and even doubles as a mobile telephone. and the battery lasts about a week, has GPRS, Bluetooth, blah blah...... Plug it into MS outlook and updates.....

Why carry extra kit, when most modern mobiles do the same function ??

I'll second the vote for the T610. I am very happy with it (especially now I run MSN messenger on it over GPRS) and it does do many of the functions of a basic PDA.

Also managed to get the cradle for it from Carphone Warehouse and a 2nd hand data lead, so it docks on the desk, just like my Ipaq. Syncing is automatic along with the charging.

Even the games keep me occupied!

My Ipaq 1910 is being used less and less, although it is still good for watching movies on the way to work and playing mp3s.

Did SE increase the quality of the colour screen of the T610 over the old T68i? My friends had one of those phones and I thought the colour screen was awful when compared to my 7650. I still think the P800 is the daddy of the smartphone market.

S.

THe P800 is the Daddy, but it the Big Daddy.

The TFT on the t610 runs 64k colours, so is slightly better than the 256 of the T68, and it also has 32MB on RAM.....

Did SE increase the quality of the colour screen of the T610 over the old T68i? My friends had one of those phones and I thought the colour screen was awful when compared to my 7650. I still think the P800 is the daddy of the smartphone market.

The difference between the screens is astonishing. Like black and white tube tv to a 50" plasma! Main complaint from most folk about the T610's screen is difficulty of viewing in the sun. I have added a writeshield screen protector to mine and it's now not too bad. I still use a T68i for work, and I really, really hate it.

P800 is the daddy, although it is a damn house brick. Most of the guys I work with have purchased them and have fallen in love, although they all complain about the size.

Motorola's new A920 is a naff 3g phone, but the list of features is good..... I hope it gives other manufacturers some drive! GPS in a phone standard is pretty neat.

If only they could now sell a 3g phone with some battery life. Hopefully Sony-Ericsson's new 1010 will make up for the existing range (or lack thereof).

The TFT on the t610 runs 64k colours, so is slightly better than the 256 of the T68, and it also has 32MB on RAM.....

Slightly better? I would disagree stronly - it's chalk and cheese. Pixels numbers and pitch alone are much better. Also the SE's dont have the hazy look of the nokai screens.

Also it only has 2mb Ram.

Heh thanks for the feed back on the new T610 :) I'm still very happy with my Nokia 7650 and I'll have had it a year in a few days time. I guess it's the open architecture of the Symbian OS/Series 60 GUI that I really appreciate that allows all manner of 3rd party apps to be run (my 4MB limit allowing of course :p ) Is the T610 running Symbian/UIQ like the P800 or does it have a dedicated OS?

S.

Heh thanks for the feed back on the new T610 I'm still very happy with my Nokia 7650 and I'll have had it a year in a few days time. I guess it's the open architecture of the Symbian OS/Series 60 GUI that I really appreciate that allows all manner of 3rd party apps to be run (my 4MB limit allowing of course ) Is the T610 running Symbian/UIQ like the P800 or does it have a dedicated OS?

7650 is still a class act. Loads of apps available, too. The new Nokia 6600 seems a worthy successor, where the 3650 was a little strange for many people.

T610 runs proprietary SE OS, as did the T68i. Most people aren't aware that the T610 is actually a T68i with upgrades. It's probably the reason that the launch price of the T610 was so low for a phone with so many features.

For a phone that is free every second week on most plans the T610 is pretty good. Here's hoping that the new Nokia is cheap, although initial indications are that it will be 400-550 pounds outright!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom