iPaq Useful or Gadget gimmick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
I gather some of you have must have an iPaq or similiar PDA, I need to get myself organised as I spend too much time looking for numbers, writing things on scraps of paper and never finding then again and generally being disorganised!!

I have a PalmVx but never really got the hang of it. Is an iPaq a worthwhile tool or is it just another useless gadget? Which would be the best model to go for and where are the best deals to be had?

if you are going to use the iPAQ solely to organise yourself, it is a useful tool. If like me, you bought it for this purpose, and then started to use something else to organise yourself, it becomes a gimmick !

It has been put into use for now as Sat Nav, which shows the versatility of the product, and the new ones that are coming out have some very gimmicky features, such as fingerprint recognition, and all sorts of integrated protocols (bluetooth & WiFi) - but at a price !

If you just need something simple to organise yourself, then would recommend the palm software as simpler to use for that purpose - although if you need to sync with Microsoft Outlook, then an iPAQ or other pocket PC will be better.

Wouldn't buy new again though- mine has been absolutely reliable for the past 3 years. Not a single problem. Some good bargains to be had now on eBay.

S.

**EDIT - Mine is the 3630 - the very basic one first released 32Mb Ram, and CF Card Expansion Sleeve, but with ample power for most things, and will be for sale soon ;) **

Last edited:
Well, the 2 main contenders as far as embedded operating systems are concerned are Micro$oft's Windows CE (iPaq) and 3Com's PalmOS (Sony Clie, Palm, etc). They both have pros and cons, and in the end it comes down to personal preference.

For years, PalmOS was monochrome, and strangely this very fact drew people more towards WinCE. I say strangely because at the end of the day, the whole point of a PDA is to access *information* - who cares if it is colour or not?

However, this is no longer the case, because PalmOS has been in colour since version 4, and PDAs in general have become more than glorified fag packets or envelopes.

I personally own an old Sony Clie and have been provided with a HP iPaq for work. Having used both extensively, I have to say that there is little difference. I have noticed that PalmOS applications tend to be considerably smaller than the CE equivalent, but most PalmOS devices are let down by poor peripheral support. For example, the vast majority of iPaqs can accept wireless network adapters, cameras, navigation, etc via the built in expansion slot (Compact Flash or Secure Digital) whereas PalmOS devices are limited by proprietry architecture.

My advice for you is draw up a list of what you are looking for in an organiser, and see if you can go and have a play at Dixons, PC World, etc to find out if you like specific models. At the very least, definitely compare a PalmOS device with a Windows CE device. Once you have come to a conclusion, buy online.

www.expansys.com has a superb range of PDA and mobile phone kit, but unfortunately it is also ridiculously expensive.

Hope this helps.

--
Antony

Ive got a Palm Palm Vx . The batteries last forever on it which is why its handy. I don't think the same can be said about the colour screens.

Yeah, I can confirm that. My mono clie lasts a hell of a lot longer than the colourful iPaq.

Bare this in mind Jimmy, as you may end up keeping a charger at work and one at home.

--
Antony

My iPAQ gets used solely for the NavMan navigation, it never leaves the car!

If I was mobile more maybe it would be more useful but as I sit at a desk all day I don't really need it. I've always found it pretty poor for checking email and surfing the web.

Originally posted by RichardM
If I was mobile more maybe it would be more useful but as I sit at a desk all day I don't really need it. I've always found it pretty poor for checking email and surfing the web.

ugh! I know what you mean :(

The screen is just too small to make long term use a viable option. Perhaps if pdas were a step larger (A5?) then it would be a little more accessible, but I suppose that would defeat the object of being a 'portable' device.

Reading a large pdf manual on a tiny screen is no picnic either :p

--
Antony

It also can't handle pop up windows which is essential for logging into a number of web sites, including our MS Exchange Server Webmail.

I use one of These

Worldwide corporate email in your pocket....Outlook or Lotus, Calendar, Addressbook, and attachments wirelessly synchronising on the fly and of course a mobile phone ........I can even access Mbclub from the beach using GPRS with unlimited access to anywhere for £15/month.

The dogs Bo**ocks:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

I haven't had any problems with my iPAQ Navigation unit getting a satellite lock.

I use an Ipaq 5400 with Navman - and its great - This means I can have SatNav regardles of which car I happen to be driving.

I can configure routers with it for work, sync my email with gprs and bluetooth, I am currently working on a piece of software that will allow me to use my Honda logging software to datalog the CRX in real time!

I can currently do 90% of what I need to do without lugging my laptop around!

Mark

Thanks everyone,

I think I will dig my PalmVx out again and see if I can master it, all I need is to store contacts, phone numbers, appointments and something to remind me of things I need to do.

I used to manage OK but now find that my memory is full up with too much (useless) stuff. Perhaps I need a re-boot.:D Must be my age.:eek:

Jimmy,

I have a IPAQ which was given to me to use from work, i must say i rarely use it ! to me aits a over complicated diary!

it spends most its time sitting in my drawer getting flat batteries and wiping itself out, then i feel guilty and set it up again, only to put it back in my drawer!

All these complaints about flat batteries why not buy some NiMH-ACCU 2000 - 2200 mAh rechargeable batteries fom here.

Rechargeable Batteries

Originally posted by Brian WH
All these complaints about flat batteries why not buy some NiMH-ACCU 2000 - 2200 mAh rechargeable batteries fom here.

Rechargeable Batteries

The iPAQ already has a rechargeable battery built in . . but because of the high power drain due to the backlit colour screen . . it doesn't last very long anyway !! And you can't upgrade it :(

S.

I've got an all singing and dancing Colour Sony Clie with the camera, swivel screen etc etc 4 sale if anyone's interested..
All boxed with all books, cradle etc

Originally posted by Brian WH

Rechargeable Batteries

Tescos are cheaper than them for batteries. I just picked up 4 2100mah ever ready nimh batteries for £7.50 :)

I've got an iPaq for my work with a CF expansion and second battery pack, and I use it all day and the batteries last OK.

I just leave it on charge overnight, and although I have a car charger, I rarley use it.

Bazza

If you are interested in PDA's then I'd recommend the QTEK or also known as O2. They've been out for a while now and are similar in the functions of the 3xxx series IPAQ. The 5xxx series IPAQ have built in Blue tooth and Wireless networking capabilities.

The beauty about the O2 is that it is a PDA and a Mobile Phone (dual band). It's size is similar to that of the IPAQ.

It sychronizes with my MS Outlook Calender, Contacts, Notes and Tasks.

I also carry a few of my work spread sheets for quick references (ie. product pricing, profits etc). I'll be loading a fax software on to it soon which will allow me to send and receive faxes too.

As it has a built in mobile phone you don't need any expansion packs to connect to the NET. This is useful to d/l email headers, news etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom