iPhone 3G not receiving emails away from home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gucci

MB Enthusiast
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0 Ultimate Black
I finally treated myself to a shiney 3G 16Gb iPhone and LOVE it. But, away from home, my email will only receive and not send. At home, it obviously hooks up to my ISP via SMTP. Someone suggested mail out server to be set at smtp.o2.co.uk but that still fails.

Bit frustrating :-(

Outgoing mail server
smtp.o2.co.uk or
smtp.talktalk.net or
smtp.macunlimited.net

Port 25

Any idea? Don't know if it makes any difference it being a macunlimited account?

Have you tried switching it on and off :)

Ah! You've been on the advanced IT training course then? :D :D

This is probably the old, old story of ISPs blocking port 25 to users who don't connect via their network. Contact your ISP and ask them if that is the case and request a way to authenticate to their SMTP servers that won't fail when you're abroad, etc

Nick Froome
www.pvision.co.uk

:eek: there is nothing like giving the game away :rolleyes: thats IT :)

what network have you roamed onto? why not use their SMTP?

Weird thing is, if I go to smtp.o2.co.uk it still fails

this might be it

E-mail address: [email protected]
Account ID: [email protected]
Password: Your usual macunlimited.net password
Save password in Mac OS X Keychain: Ticked
Incoming mail server: mailin.macunlimited.net
Incoming mail server type: Either POP or IMAP
Outgoing mail server: mailout.macunlimited.net

The outgoing mail server requires authentication on the way out. should be a tickbox and by the looks of it the username needs to be the full email address. This might explain why it works at home and not on the 3G network as youre IP address would not be a macunlimited one which i assume you have your home WIFI on.

note the outgoing mail server is mailout.macunlimited and not smtp.macunlimited.net from what i can make out on their support page.

http://support.breatheinternet.com/email

give that a bash :)

Last edited:
Gucci I use Gmail, forward all my mail to it and it can send from my other email adresses using gmail. AND my iphone has a wizard with gmail that works perfectly, in fact its nearly better than my full email client!

With Gmail, and possibly others, you can use a different port to send email, to work around the ISP port blocking....I think (check it though) gmail supports sending on port 587 and 225.

As it works in the UK, on O2, and you can recieve abroard (port 110), it does sound like the roaming ISP's are blocking port 25 - which they will claim is an anti-spam measure....(who ever heard of spammers sending from mobile devices though...).

With Gmail, and possibly others, you can use a different port to send email, to work around the ISP port blocking....I think (check it though) gmail supports sending on port 587 and 225.

As it works in the UK, on O2, and you can recieve abroard (port 110), it does sound like the roaming ISP's are blocking port 25 - which they will claim is an anti-spam measure....(who ever heard of spammers sending from mobile devices though...).

no no no need, gmail is integrated into the iphone as a wizard. No need to ***** about with ports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom