iPhone 3G opinions

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Will, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    I was looking for a new phone a few months back, considered a few (LG Viewty, original iPhone etc), but never got around to upgrading - partly because nothing out there blew me away, and partly because my old phone was still plodding on.

Anyway, it's come to a point where I need a new phone, some of the keys are playing up and it's pretty tatty/well used (old SE K800i)

New iPhone seems better with 3G and some of the newer applications etc. I'm quite taken by them after having a play with one yesterday.

Seems quite difficult to obtain a black 16GB model, however the Apple stores seem to have a few white 16GB ones knocking about.

Anyone recently taken the plunge - overwhelmed/dissappointed?

I like the user interface mainly, and I've come to accept that I don't use a mobile phone for taking 'proper' photos, so the 2MP camera isn't a major issue.

Obviously there's better 'specced' phones out there, but they're certainly not 'Apple' :devil:

Will a white iPhone look silly? :eek:

Are 02 alright as a network provider (currently with Orange, who've been ok for years)

Who's best to buy from - 02 store, Apple or CPW?

Worth taking insurance - who from and how much?

Any other useful tips. Was thinking of 16GB black, with the £45/month tarrif (plenty of texts/minutes, and you get £100 off the initial purchase price (you can downgrade tarrif after 9 months anyway :) )

Many thanks :cool:

Will

2. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    Must... not... post....
    [​IMG]
    da... I failed... look closely and you'll see the white iPhone!

3. Dragon

Dragon Banned

4. Donza

Donza Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Anyone have an iphone here?

Whats the battery life like? I'm coming from a Nokia N95

EDIT: Just read the above link: "Battery life is poor - just five to six hours of 3G calls or web browsing. One reviewer found that the indicator fell below 20 per cent by early to mid-afternoon on some trial days."

NO THANKS!

5. columb

columb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W212
    Look for HTC Diamond...

Cheers
    Chris

6. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

I was also / Have also been looking at new phones as my current contract is up.

Currently have an O2 Orbit (slightly modified to run mobile 6 / tomtom and touch flow (sort of itouch).

Considered the iPhone but although GPS no TomTom actual available even though information on it says its out there.

I decided to do nothing as I like the way the Orbit syncs to my e-mail / address and like the fact TomTom is on it.

Called 02 and they reduced my tarrif from £35 A month to £15 a month on a 30 day rolling tarrif.

Cool :)

7. Spinal

Spinal Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    It's interesting they got 6 hours... Steve (Jobs) in his keynote was VERY proud of announcing you could get "up to 5 hours" of talktime in 3G!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40YW7Lco0og

Michele

8. fyonn

fyonn Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 330d
    Okay, well I do have an iphone 3G :) I held off buying the original iphone last year as it came out not long after I'd recently got a different phone (SE K810i). In the meantime I got an ipod touch to try out the new interface and to see what I thought. I have to say I was blown away.

I used the ipod touch virtually every day, as much for it's internet browsing abilities as for music. The email client is excellent and I use it to read my own personal email whilst I'm at work (I'm not allowed to use the work internet connection to read my own mail). the browser is very good (though still missing flash support).

anyways, with the release of the new phone, I decided to go and get it and so far I've been very pleased with it.

The interface is awesome, there's great interactivity with the different parts of the phone, ie if you click on someone's address in the contacts, it looks them up on google maps etc.

The ability to install apps is cool, and there's some useful and cool apps out there, but I think time will tell how useful that stuff becomes.

the new software is a little unstable, I've crashed safari a few times. not badly, it just quits to the main menu, doesn't take out the phone as a whole. a new firmware is due out soon to address these issues.

the GPS system generally seems to work well. I set it to track me on the drive to work this morning and it seemed to do it very well, however when I was slightly lost in northampton on sat night, the location feature didn't seem to find me at all. not sure why. eventually gave up and just found the hotel on my own. that said, it was a sat night in a town, I wasn't exactly brandishing my new toy around :)

No, there isn't any proper satnav software for it yet, apple have another new firmware out soonish that adds software support for some things that satnav software needs, like speed and direction. we also know that tomtom have working software, and telenav has announced they're working on porting their software too.

At the moment I'm still waiting for CPW to sort out a PAC code so I can move the number, as it is, the old number is diverted to the new number.

where to get it from? well, if you want a white one, the apple store is the only place, O2 and CPW don't stock them at all, or even know that white ones exist. Both apple stores in Manchester seem to have good stock of all three though, white, black 8G and black 16G. they seem much better stocked than CPW and O2 anyways.

I think that there certainly are much better specced phones out there in many ways, but don't under-estimate the influence of user-interface. the apple UI is generally smooth, fast, intuitive and very pretty. it may be missing a few functions that other phones have, but then the functions it does have, it does very well. there's a good reason that in the last year, over 80% of mobile browsing is done with mobile safari. hell, my SE phone supported reading my imap email, but I never did as frankly, it really sucked at it. the iphone email client knocks it's socks off in every way and is probably the app I use most.

also, it's handy to get that membership of BTopenzone and the cloud for wireless access, though mine is not set up yet as I'm holding back until I move my old number.

dave

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  9. marcos

marcos Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C43 estate
    Do you actually get more than that with an N95:confused:
    I doubt it, I very often had to recharge by lunchtime with my old N95 although the N95 8GB does seem to last much better.

10. columb

columb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W212
    Which number did you called? And what have you said?

Cheers
    Chris

11. OP
    OP
    Will

Will MB Club Veteran

Car:
    GL63 AMG / S211 E55K AMG / 190E 2.3-16 / 190E 2.5-16 / Porsche 911
    Been on a bit of a wild goose chase today.

Managed to check a few places during the day to see if they'd had any new deliveries (16GB model in black is like gold dust...). Apple only have white in stock, every o2 store is out, nearly all CPW stores are out of stock.

Finally found one CPW store that had stock, but the 'idiot' behind the counter seems to have created a very unusual problem for me by processing two security checks incorrectly, basically by using the chip and PIN system (to verify my banking details/address against my photo ID (driving license), but he used the incorrect address, and did this twice.

After finally getting him to show me his PC screen, all became apparant. Despite me giving him the details from scratch (full address - postcode, house number etc), he was using my previous address from when I'd shopped there in the past.

No wonder it doesn't work...Anyway, I now have to apparantly speak to their customer services department to get this resolved as it's flagging on their system even though he's ammended the details. Joy..!

Bit annoying to say the least, I might try o2 or apple again in a few days time.

I hope this won't have caused any other complications, will it?

Cheers for all the advice so far :)

Will

12. A210AMG

A210AMG MB Club Veteran

columb

O2 Actually sent me a load of stuff and a pack of 5 / 6 large playing cards each one with different options I could choose.

The cheaper line rental was just one of them and as I'm happy with my phone its great, still get free 02 to 02 calls and free voicemail. 200 mins talk and 400 text all for £15

I'm happy with that

13. bolide

bolide Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW E39 525 Diesel Touring
    I think if you use iCal and Address Book on a Mac then the iPhone is probably a no-brainer

It also does IMAP mail very nicely. It supports multiple mail accounts so it is quite good for email for most people

Nick Froome
    www.w124.co.uk

14. Dragon

Dragon Banned

I found a second hand pre-released O2 3G iphone at one of the local pawnshop similar to CashConverter. They want £360, £340 if I pay cash. Is it worth it?

With that money I can buy a new Dell Desk PC with quad processor.

15. fyonn

Car:
    BMW 330d
    well, the dell will be much, much faster but a lot less portable!

as for if it's worth it, don't know. I don't think there are any tools to sim-unlock the phones yet, so I don't think you'd be able to use the phone with any other carrier apart from O2.

whether you can use it with an O2 sim is another question. I put my old O2 contract sim into a friends first gen iphone and it wouldn't accept it. It would only accept the "special" sims for iphones. I don't know if the iphone 3g will take normal O2 sim's though. also, if it's a pre-production. it may not be simlocked.

If you have an O2 simcard, I'd try it in that phone to see if it will accept it.

the other question you might want to ask yourself is if a pre-pro phone will accept the various upgrades that come along. it's a risk.

for all that, I think iphones are ace :)

16. Dragon

Dragon Banned

Yes, I forgot to add in the previous post about O2 sim cards. There are two type the normal just for phone calls and the other more expensive one for wi-fi. :D

17. seymansey

seymansey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2006 CLK 320cdi Avantgarde
    Meh, I don't have an iPhone, but I do have a touch which I use everyday and is essentially the same minus the Phone application. Mum does have an iPhone though which we bought her as a present - she isn't the most technically literate about but she finds the device a breeze to use.

I think the important thing to realise with the iPhone is that it is not all about how many features it has, but more on the experience of actually using it. Apple has taken various 'things' you may do with a phone and have taken them to a new level - they must be doing something right since other manufacturers are suddenly following suit with similar features, such as the touchscreen and the methodolgy of browsing the internet.

As devices go, it is a very controversial one, and it seems to be the cool thing to diss the phone. It also seems the cool thing to own one, too. There are so many gadget freaks about who slate the iPhone because it doesnt have X Y Z specifications, but in my opinion the hype that the iPhone has created is enough for Apple to withhold features which a lot of other phones have, and gradually introduce them as the model line progresses. GPS functionality was a good example, lots of phones already had it, but it came in the 2nd Generation of the iPhone. Even if it is later than all the other brands, I think that the way in which it has been executed is awesome, goes hand in hand with google maps.

In any respect, its a well built, popular device and being the member of the iPod family also has access to a wide variety of addons, speakers, etc.

18. tudu

tudu Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    05 C200K Sport Edition (Kleemann)
    I have a 16g unlocked iphone, an 8g still in the box, and a brand new 16g 3G in box which i can't use at the mo owing to the stupid update that Apple recently introduced that makes it impossible to download phonebook through HFP cradle, but my unlocked version still works as i don't update that through itunes. All in all i think they are a great phone, good signal reception.

19. Dragon

Dragon Banned

Touch screen and Internet have around more than 10 years ago it just the cost is the problem. For £360 or more? Didn't I hear Steve said it going to £100? :eek:

20. fyonn

Car:
    BMW 330d
    the 8G one costs no more than £100...

if you get it with an 18month contract of at least £30 pm.

this phone for £360 is a phone with no contract.

that said, I don't think the contract deals are bad. well, the £30pm one is, but the £35pm one is fine. I used to pay £25pm for 100 mins and 100 texts and about a meg of included 3G data. now I pay £35 for 600 mins, 500 texts, unlimited[1] data over 3G and membership of BTOpenzone and The Cloud for wireless.

I don't feel it's a bad deal :)

dave

[1] well, probably not unlimited, but enough for now.