iPhone 3G or 3GS? Do not upgrade to OS4!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Not yet at least.

Behold:

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPhone 3GS

No1 son's 3GS ( less than 6 months old, unmessed with and otherwise operating fine beforehand) has slowed to a crawl, reboots every time it goes to screensave, cuts out during calls battery life even worse than before and now discovered that he has lost loads of contacts, emails and Tom Tom traffic no longer works.

Appears to be no roll back to old OS available. More utter ****e from Apple

tried twice but it was taking for ever so i canceled it! luck i did i think!

Upgraded 34 3GS including my own, Not a single issue reported on any.

Just watch out for the bluetooth connectivity or rather lack of contacts download!

once again same situation here. No problems at all. Contact that sync through GMail took me some time to get on as Google's servers were clogged up with all that traffic. A day later and all was well. Still is well. If anything I see a slightly longer battery life.

I'd hate to be an iPhone 4 owner right about now. I'd also hate to be Mr Jobs right now.

My 3Gs on IOS 4 is absolutely fine, as is my new new Iphone 4.

Upgraded my 3GS to OS4 a week ago and i've had no problems since then.

Mine took 2 hours on a 3G (good internet connection too). What they also don't tell you is that some of the features do not work on a standard 3G. No multi-tasking and no home screen wallpaper either.

I also noticed when playing iTunes that if I skip a song to next - it gives an "electronic parp" noise. Nice feature. :crazy:

Have to say, I'm a huge Apple fan normally, but the iOS and OSX have been clunky and glitchy. Greedy to get product out too quickly. Best not p-off those loyal customers that put Apple where it is today.

Ive got a 3G iPod Touch and the update runs fine, 3GS iPhones should be fine as they have the later chipsets.

Problem appears to be linked to tethering, in the sense that the Iphone was by default constantly attempting to link to devices that are not there. Had to manually cancel the process and then do a restart.

Also OS4 now supports multiple apps running at the same time. These are shown by double clicking the home button. He had a number running at the same time which together with the constant auto tethering attempts was killing processor capacity and battery life.

Ho hum.

The multi tasking shouldn't really kill batter life, in IOS4, it usually suspends the state of the app, rather than letting it continue to process in the background (Bar music playing etc etc). I have never had the need to use tethering though, so can't really comment on that.

I recently had my order for my iPhone 4 accidentally cancelled by Vodafone, and when I rang up to sort it out, I decided to keep it cancelled for a bit - there just seems to be too much fuss around this antenna issue right now. I love the idea of the iPhone 4, but hate the idea that a software fix might not sort it (And theres no way I'm using one of those bumpers!).

The fact that they have hyped these bumpers like mad (When in the past they've barely mentioned cases etc), makes me think that this problem was known from the get go...

The multi tasking shouldn't really kill batter life, in IOS4, it usually suspends the state of the app, rather than letting it continue to process in the background (Bar music playing etc etc). I have never had the need to use tethering though, so can't really comment on that.

I recently had my order for my iPhone 4 accidentally cancelled by Vodafone, and when I rang up to sort it out, I decided to keep it cancelled for a bit - there just seems to be too much fuss around this antenna issue right now. I love the idea of the iPhone 4, but hate the idea that a software fix might not sort it (And theres no way I'm using one of those bumpers!).

The fact that they have hyped these bumpers like mad (When in the past they've barely mentioned cases etc), makes me think that this problem was known from the get go...

Strikes me that a key issue here is that OS4 is intended primarily for the iPhone 4 which has a zippier processor and larger battery capacity that the 3 series (although it has a crappier antenna).

Anyway now a lot better than it was.

Downloaded it via iTunes for my iPod touch. Apps crash and freeze. Slows down too. Hope a fix comes out soon.

Downloaded it via iTunes for my iPod touch. Apps crash and freeze. Slows down too. Hope a fix comes out soon.

There is a fix... you can buy from most phone companies or Apple themselves... just ask for the iPhone 4 :p

Seriously though... why would they bother fixing a product that they are trying to move people off-of and onto the new phone?

M>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom