iPhone 3GS Anybody having the same issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Help please.

I have an iPhone 3GS that worked just fine for over a year. A few weeks ago it started this problem:

1) When trying to make an outbound call, phone takes up to 45-50 seconds to connect. During this time you get complete silence.

2) Sometimes it gives up trying to connect and you get the Beep Beep Beep number unobtainable.

3) If you then hit redial it is absolutely fine.

This can last for days and will evntually clear up all on it's own, only to start again (today).

So far I have tried the following:

1) Calling Apple support. They blamed the network provider.

2) Called the network provider (T-Mobile) they blamed Apple.

3) Looked on Google. This appears to be a huge problem with everybody else having the same issue as in points 1) & 2)

I have done a full (DKU)sic restore on the phone.
Removed and cleaned the SIM card
Trued switching off:

Wireless
3G

Called the phone filthy names and threatened it with a flush down the toilet or a smash against the wall.

I have had an identical issue with a Nokia E72. This makes me suspicious that this is a network issue. Apple were absolutely insistent that it is a network issue. Saying the delay is the network being slow to respond to the phones request.

Anybody ever had the same and cured it?

What network and area of country are you? My 3GS on Vodafone in East Anglia is fine.
Does another phone on the same network have a similar problem? Are you unlocked, so could change network? Mine links to a viseo bluetooth thingy in the car and all is fine.
Sounds like a network issue to me.

Sounds familiar

I've got 6 iphones on a company account with Orange - and they all suffer the same issue. It's the same with the iphone 4's too.....

I's say it's definitely a service problem rather than a hardware issue. Too much data traffic - not enough band width.

I'm 3GS with O2 and no probs.

The fact that you can replicate the problem with another handset on the same network says to me 99% that it is network related. Can you check your apple on another network? That would clinch it.

mine is the same just go into settings and reset the phone cures it for a few weeks

Try killing your apps that may be open in the background. You could be running low on memory at the time.

Help please.

I have an iPhone 3GS that worked just fine for over a year. A few weeks ago it started this problem:

1) When trying to make an outbound call, phone takes up to 45-50 seconds to connect. During this time you get complete silence.

2) Sometimes it gives up trying to connect and you get the Beep Beep Beep number unobtainable.

3) If you then hit redial it is absolutely fine.

This can last for days and will evntually clear up all on it's own, only to start again (today).

So far I have tried the following:

1) Calling Apple support. They blamed the network provider.

2) Called the network provider (T-Mobile) they blamed Apple.

3) Looked on Google. This appears to be a huge problem with everybody else having the same issue as in points 1) & 2)

I have done a full (DKU)sic restore on the phone.
Removed and cleaned the SIM card
Trued switching off:

Wireless
3G

Called the phone filthy names and threatened it with a flush down the toilet or a smash against the wall.

I have had an identical issue with a Nokia E72. This makes me suspicious that this is a network issue. Apple were absolutely insistent that it is a network issue. Saying the delay is the network being slow to respond to the phones request.

Anybody ever had the same and cured it?

I have had the same thing on occasion at certain locations , then the phone has worked fine later/elsewhere without needing anything done to it , I had put it down to network coverage . This has only happened maybe half a dozen times in the year I've had the 3GS .

Try killing your apps that may be open in the background. You could be running low on memory at the time.

This is your answer, I have a iPhone 4 on 02, and was doing this for weeks, until someone at Apple told me to try it.. :thumb:

Thanks to all for replying. I have tried killing apps and that is looking good so far.

Cheers

Bruce

If you jailbreak it there is a handy pluggin for sbs settings that kills all apps at a touch of a button. Very handy.

This is your answer, I have a iPhone 4 on 02, and was doing this for weeks, until someone at Apple told me to try it.. :thumb:

Second day now and I have not had the any of the connection problems return. So many thanks for your great advice. I must admit I was surprised at how many apps were open on my phone. Is there a way that you can see what an app is actually doing when it is "hibernating" ?

I thought that when you closed it with the home button then it killed it. So a big shock to find that Nav Free was not dead. I would imagine that could be a huge memory drain if it is running in the background.

Thanks for all this info, but what apps were causing the problem, I guess those that use GPS?

Thanks for all this info, but what apps were causing the problem, I guess those that use GPS?

I have no idea what specific apps were causing the issue. I killed everything that was open. I am now trying to get in the habit of killing apps rather than just closing them. I noticed that Google, Nave Free, Evening Standard. were all open. I get a feeling that these are all potential memory drainers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom