iPhone 4S - SAP Profile?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

et0609

Car
E350d
Can anyone tell me if an iPhone 4S will connect to a Bluetooth SAP unit in a W204. This is the one that connects to the phone prep socket in the armrest and the adapter has the privacy handset.

I think the Bluetooth unit uses SAP to access and remotely take over the phones SIM. Does an iPhone 4S use SAP protocol or does it require a new cradle?

Thanks.

Yes, the BT adapter with a privacy handset would use BT SAP. No, Apple would not implement BT SAP support.

Can't you just detach the BT SAP adapter and pair your iPhone with the radio? I thought BT HF support from the radio remains available even if the car was equipped with the comfort telephony option?

Yes, you're right I think. I have not got the iPhone yet, but using the phone prep socket is preferable where I live as the phone prep uses the external aerial, and the signal is not great here.

Thanks for your help.

I have not got the iPhone yet, but using the phone prep socket is preferable where I live as the phone prep uses the external aerial, and the signal is not great here.

I thought the 4S antenna is built in a way that the phone cradle could not have an efficient antenna coupler and then the phone would actually be using its own antenna even when placed to the cradle. I may well remember this incorrectly though. At least it would be charging the battery, quite important when BT HF profile is used, specifically if used a lot.

Last edited:
Not sure of the technical details but the iPhone uses some form of close-coupling to utilise the car aerial whilst in the cradle. There is no physical connection but it definitely makes a difference IME

EDIT - it uses an inductive aerial, apparently! ...

http://www.mercupgrades.com/Mercedes+iPhone+and+iPod+solutions+-article-52.html

Galvanic antenna connectors have not existed since the Nokia 6100 series, just about all phones have used antenna couplers at the car kit side (be it an MB kit or an after market kit).

My point was about the 4S, I'm not familiar with it but when the antenna reception issues were a hot topic, I understood the rear of this model is metal and the antenna actually radiates from the side (which is why you could short-circuit the antenna when placing a finger at a specific spot at the side).

The antenna coupler needs to be very close to the phone antenna but the 4S cradle could be different from the one shown at the mercupgrades link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom