iPhone 5 Battery Replacement Program

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Across the range in general the batteries are terrible

That said, charging them overnight does ruin them. I replaced four in my iPhone 5 and each one was warped :eek:

The one in my now iPhone 6 started playing up after six months, but it's always on charge. Wether at night or driving for work in the van so it's more my fault

Nice... I going to check if I can get the battery replaced on my wife's 5, the phone can't even last 30 minutes without dying. We have owned the phone from new and bought it on release date.

Many thanks for the link.

About 18 months ago I had my then 2-year old iPhone 5's battery replaced FOC under that program. It didn't exhibit particularly rapid discharge performance, but I had it done anyway as I was about to pass the phone on to my wife. So, she may have an older phone but at least it has a new battery :D

How does charging them overnight ruin them?

Across the range in general the batteries are terrible

That said, charging them overnight does ruin them. I replaced four in my iPhone 5 and each one was warped :eek:

The one in my now iPhone 6 started playing up after six months, but it's always on charge. Wether at night or driving for work in the van so it's more my fault

It's an old joke but:

'My mobile spends that much time on charge I might as well go back to a landline!' :D

i-CONICA said:
How does charging them overnight ruin them?

Smartphones are meant to be unplugged after reaching maximum capacity, any of my phones if I'm at home or driving will be on charge non stop and this massively warps and overheats the batteries

All my iPhone 4 and 5 batteries were literally curved when they needed replacing- have only experienced this with iPhones though. My work tablet is a Samsung which is always on charge but no problems as of yet in 12 months

How long do they cover this for because my phone I bought outright handset only so I havnt really got an upgrade dat?

StuartK said:
How long do they cover this for because my phone I bought outright handset only so I havnt really got an upgrade dat?

Apple are pretty good wether it's purchased on contract or if you brought it from eBay/bloke down the pub

Apple are pretty good wether it's purchased on contract or if you brought it from eBay/bloke down the pub

Bought it from Apple Birmingham just fished out paperwork. Might trade it for another soon as mine keeps running low on storage.

StuartK said:
Bought it from Apple Birmingham just fished out paperwork. Might trade it for another soon as mine keeps running low on storage.

Yeah they'll sort it. You should have so much space on iCloud for free, not sure if you're meant to check the option to turn it on?

Mines running out recently too, keep getting the storage low warning every now and then, I also already had the free storage option on too

Yeah they'll sort it. You should have so much space on iCloud for free, not sure if you're meant to check the option to turn it on?

Mines running out recently too, keep getting the storage low warning every now and then, I also already had the free storage option on too

Mine wants to update but only 110mb

Not sure if I should be proud or embarresed but the three of us in this house are still on iPhone 4's :eek:

Not massive phone people and can't see the point of getting latest phones to text/email/make calls. :dk:

Not sure if I should be proud or embarresed but the three of us in this house are still on iPhone 4's :eek:

Not massive phone people and can't see the point of getting latest phones to text/email/make calls. :dk:

My favourite phone was my Motorola V50 mainly because lil bow wow had one but also because it looked cool.

My favourite phone was my Motorola V50 mainly because lil bow wow had one but also because it looked cool.

And with 2533 hours standby capacity. Now that's a battery. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm the same actually.

I bought myself a Samsung Galaxy Y back in 2013 which I could use for calls and texts - £60. Bargain although I don't use it anymore having stopped after starting at my current place.

I now have what was a £750 Apple iPhone 6S Plus which I use for work and it is useful having the larger display.

It was bought off-contract by my company! I would never pay more than £100 for a phone personally.

£750 is nuts for a phone.

£750 is nuts for a phone.

Totally.

I also think some of the monthly contracts are silly.

A friend of mine has £60 pm contact for himself, wife & daughter =£180pm :eek:

Our E Class is £209 pm.

My wife's iPhone 5 falls into the group with the dodgy original battery. When the battery became worse than useless we followed up on the OP's link and were told that it was eligible for a free battery replacement. BUT, she had to make an appointment with an Apple Store to get it done and the nearest stores are in the centre of big cities each around an hour away. So a long and expensive drive for a free battery. Or, as she did, get it replaced by the Apple authorised guy around the corner for £10.

I've only just moved into this century with the purchase of an iPhone 4 for less than £100. No idea why I bothered, reception is crap at home on BT. Only have it because Mrs KE and I can iMessage each other for nothing wherever we are in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom