iPhone 5 connectivity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Sharpe

Car
SL500
As a new member I would be very grateful for advice on whether or not I can connect my iphone 5 to the Command system in my January 2007 SL500?
I had my previous iPhone 3 connected by the MB main dealer in Basingstoke, through the appropriate cradle in the central armrest, but as you may well be aware, the new phone is a different shape and will not fit into this existing cradle. Also the connecting socket and wiring are of differing shapes and sizes.
I have spoken to the main dealer, who were unable to provide any current advice as they informed me that the had not received any updates on potential connectivity from MB.
I am due to take my car to them for its B service next Tuesday, although I do not expect them to be able to provide any new advice.
I would obviously have preferred to be able to utilise the existing cradle in some way, having paid £250 for it less than 18 months ago. If not, so be it.
I look forward to hearing form you in due course.
Thanks in anticipation.
Peter.

can still connect it to the same cradle by bluetooth...
can also get an extension lead and plug it into that so it will charge from the cradle ;-)
i still have the iohone 3 cradle and after 3gs, 4, 4s and now the iPhone 5 , im glad i didn't keep getting more cradles!

Thanks for the info, I will have another word with the dealers, though I doubt they will be able to come up with a better recommendation than yours.
Don't expect they'll have a cheaper option either!!!
Thanks again.

Just returned from MB main dealer in Basingstoke who have advised me that the only way I can connect with the command system is by purchasing another cradle, £250 plus!!
I have tried connecting by bluetooth, but I just get a continuous message stating that it was trying to connect, without success. I am missing something simple?
My SL was first registered 20.04.07, could it be too old?
I was going to purchase the adaptor that you recommended, but I don't want to get it if I am still unable to link into the command telephone operations. Further advice would be most welcome.
Thanks.

hello Peter
dont buy the cable until you're happy that the cradle connects...
I'm assuming that the cradle you have is the mb cradle?
If so; on the top left (i think) there is a button that if pressed for a prolonged period; puts the cradle in 'searching' and 'discoverable' mode; accompanied by rapid blue blinking of the lights on the cradle.
if you go into the settings/ bluetooth page on your iphone; it should show up the iphone cradle after a bit. when you press connect; it will ask you for the pairing code. please refer to your cradle instructions for this code (on mine it is 62872).
it is as easy as that!

any joy?

Thanks very much, I had to telephone the dealer to get a code number, followed your advice and it works!!
I am very pleased and really appreciate your help. Its amazing that a MB main dealer did not know how to do it, or were they more interested in selling another cradle, surely not!!!
Very many thanks again.

Not at all; glad I could help...
The only 'disadvantage' is when the phone is not sat in the cradle- apparently it is no longer benefiting from the car's better aerial.
Not sure if that's true but practically I haven't noticed any real life issues with this. The signal seems just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Hi I just bought a new GL 350 AMG 2013, with COMMAND Online, and the NB dealer said the COMMAND System's web based apps are not yet compatible with the Iphone 5, however to get around the issues of 'data' transfer a new cable in being launched at the end of the quarter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom