iPhone + Audio 20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyMercUK

Car
Mercedes C220 CDI AMG SPORT
Problems are:

No SMS feature - iPhone does not support BT SAP (I think), anyone got a hack that will get this to work?

Streams music but no album artwork or being able to view playlists etc - whats missing?

I am using a memory stick which does the same as above but it would be nice to use my iPhone.

Any thoughts?

I have COMAND rather than Audio 20, but have the same issue with album art. Mine shows it about 10% of the time, always showing it on the first track played and then the occasional random one after that, but most of the time none. It isn't even consistent, just because it shows the album art on one track doesn't mean it will show it on the same track next time. It might be something MB could fix in a future software update, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for the Sim Access Protocol, not many phones do support it and Apple are apparently not keen on it at all. I think it's a dead duck and MB are going down a different route for future connectivity with Apple so I think it's probable that cars of our generation will never have this functionality. Annoying, but the only way is to move to a pre-Microsoft gen Nokia or similar dumb phone - not something I'm prepared to do.

I've just noticed you're having a problem with playlists as well, that's something that works fine on mine.

Problems are:

No SMS feature - iPhone does not support BT SAP (I think), anyone got a hack that will get this to work?

Streams music but no album artwork or being able to view playlists etc - whats missing?

I am using a memory stick which does the same as above but it would be nice to use my iPhone.

Any thoughts?

I think we are stuck on this. Funnily enough, I spent an hour yesterday investigating this and got NOTHING. I believe the problem is the iPhone does not support MAP (message access profile) which is used by all cars manufactures with systems similar to the one on the Merc. I don't think is possible even if you JB your iPhone.

I don't think art work over Bluetooth is supported by the head unit so it is a non starter. Same for playlist.

On a similar topic. I got all my mp3 to work with artwork using the USB. It has been a long process but that application you found for me did 98% of them with only a few odd ones left to do manually. That is the best solution to play music in the car in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have COMAND rather than Audio 20, but have the same issue with album art. Mine shows it about 10% of the time, always showing it on the first track played and then the occasional random one after that, but most of the time none. It isn't even consistent, just because it shows the album art on one track doesn't mean it will show it on the same track next time. It might be something MB could fix in a future software update, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for the Sim Access Protocol, not many phones do support it and Apple are apparently not keen on it at all. I think it's a dead duck and MB are going down a different route for future connectivity with Apple so I think it's probable that cars of our generation will never have this functionality. Annoying, but the only way is to move to a pre-Microsoft gen Nokia or similar dumb phone - not something I'm prepared to do.

Command has the media interface as standard which might explain why it works for you sometimes. I don't think it works at all with the audio 20.

I don't think art work over Bluetooth is supported by the head unit so it is a non starter. Same for playlist.

I didn't make that clear actually, all my comments re artwork/playlists are when my phone is directly connected. I noticed the sound quality isn't as good over bluetooth and the direct connection keeps it charged. And you're absolutely right, it is MAP, I was getting mixed up with a previous car/phone issue

On a similar topic. I got all my mp3 to work with artwork using the USB. It has been a long process but that application you found for me did 98% of them with only a few odd ones left to do manually. That is the best solution to play music in the car in my opinion.

This has got me thinking, now you have you album artwork stored in the actual file on your pc, would it be worth trying to put some music on your iPhone and see if the artwork is now present?

I've just noticed you're having a problem with playlists as well, that's something that works fine on mine.

I think this is down to you having Media Interface, or are you able to view playlists over Bluetooth?

I think this is down to you having Media Interface, or are you able to view playlists over Bluetooth?

Yes I always connect it by cable as the sound is markedly better than bluetooth streaming. I'll check if my playlists work over bluetooth next time I'm in the car

Ok I checked today and mine is the same, won't access playlists or even podcasts over bluetooth. Neither does the album art work. The media interface is definitely the way to go!

I do wish I had media interface however there are many ways for a 'get around'. To charge I simply use the Iphone cable provided into the USB slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom